“Little known gem” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Sydney, Australia
“Little known gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

In a city where restaurant-goers line up for hours for the latest delicious flavour of the moment, I know where I can walk straight in a sample innovative artful meal. Service is observant without being obtrusive. While dining alone, I was offered magazines and complimentary dishes from the kitchen, it is a wonder that more people do not know about this place... Then again, it is probably a good thing

Visited April 2012

86% Recommend
Melbourne, Australia
“great update to this location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

food was very good, service efficient and friendly

Visited June 2012
“Great food, even better BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

This is one of our favorite after work hang outs during summer. It's close by and has a outdoor area which during has a BBQ (fav) when it's warm. This is just a fun atmosphere and chill. The inside restaurant is a bit more formal but the food is great, modern Australian (I suppose?).

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Aust
“Book for dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We were able to book and had a very enjoyable dinner, surprising not overcrowded given the quality of presentation and service. (Lunch is, apparently much busier.) The slow braised shank was excellent, but the caramelised parsnip was a bit too "different" for me. Small wine list, so worth asking if unfamiliar - we got excellent recommendations.

Visited June 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Innovation, Beauty, Flavour, Ambience, Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

There was no down side to the dinner my husband and an international guest had at Hare and Grace on Friday 9th June 2012. From the first greeting by warm, welcoming, efficient, wait staff (they knew who my party was even before I opened my mouth!), through the exciting menu - for which all of us certainly needed interpretation (ably, freely and good humouredly given by all the staff who attended us) to the artistic, visually beautiful, clever plates of food, culminating in an exquisite combination of flavours and fragrances - this was a really memorable, happy - simultaneously relaxed and casual! - evening.

The menu and the food was really something to behold – playing games with expectations of sweet and sour and mains and desserts. My ‘Eton Mess’ entrée – yes entrée! – was a tantalizing, exciting mix of oysters and … well beetroot meringues for one. This chef (Raymonde Capaldi) knows how to challenge assumptions – but bringing you along to enjoy the challenge, not challenging your ‘ignorance’ leading to that ghastly feeling of intimidation that some chefs seem to enjoy. All credit to the wait staff, again, who were wonderful in explaining each plate as they placed it before us – none of which looked anything like what was expected! My barramundi was marinated in squid ink – hence it was black – but beautifully salty, lovely flavour The quail and lamb delicious – our Omani guest fascinated by the ‘faux’ caviar (cauliflower florets), my husband by what looked like sticks but were apparently ‘faux’ vanilla – dried blueberries in the savoury, the runny lemon tart – I could go on.

This was a wonderfully, relaxed and enjoyable 'voyage of discovery' into the art of food . I might add my husband and my recent experience of ‘foodiness’ this year has included Royal Mail, Dunkeld - on ambience and staff Hare and Grace far outstrips that wonderful experience and throws down the gauntlet when it comes to food too.

A final word on the décor. We loved the crates and the branches hanging from the roof – all great fun. Most of all we loved the comfortable chairs, the space between tables – and most of all that finally the canny owners thought to take the ‘Din’ out of ‘Dining’ by forsaking wood and concrete floors and putting down a flooring (was it carpet?) that absorbs the noise. Perhaps that’s one reason we were so relaxed – we were not having to yell at each other to be heard. (Take note Royal Mail, Union Dining etc etc).

We LOVED this place.