“Review” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #135 of 490 things to do in Melbourne
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the heart of the Docklands, Medibank Icehouse is Australia's largest ice sports and entertainment venue. Come ice skating, 7 days a week, 364 days a year!
Frankston, Australia
“Review”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

The Ice on the Bradbury Rink is always very chopped up. Some of the staff are lazy and very rude. I hope a Rink is built on the Peninsula as I would skate there instead in an instant. Poor value for money as the ice is always so chopped up.

Visited March 2013

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
18 attraction reviews
“Good fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

It's a great place to have some fun, I wish the ice skating ring was a bit bigger as it can get a bit crowded and a bit difficult for beginners.

gltgroup_georgina, Manager at Medibank Icehouse, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Hi Maria

Thanks for your feedback, we love hearing you had fun! The rinks are both Olympic sized and during school holidays and other busy periods we open up the second rink for public skating, dedicated to beginners and families. We also offer FREE 15 minute lessons to help you get a better understanding of the basics. We hope to see you back out on the ice again soon!
Frankston, Australia
“Nice rink, pity about the potholes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This was probably my third or fourth visit to the Icehouse as I normally skate indoors on inlines at Caribbean Rollerama in Scoresby. However, I have been learning to ice skate as that is my only choice of skating when I am in Thailand. Can you believe that Bangkok has more ice rinks than Victoria. It may even have more rinks than Australia, but that is another story.

In the past, I had been impressed with how the Icehouse keeps the ice in pretty good condition and brings the ice machine out each hour to resurface the rink. However, on this particular day, the Zamboni never came onto the ice while I was there and the ice was cut up and it turns out, it actually had a couple of very deep potholes.

My problem was that I didn't see the potholes until afterwards. I was just skating laps, a little faster than the general crowd and I was working on my crossover technique on the corner. Next thing I know, I am falling forward and I hit the ice hard with my shoulder and then slide to a stop.

At the time, I thought it was just a hard knock, so I got up, brushed the ice off then went and tried to figure out what happened. So I followed my skid mark backwards and found the pothole that had tripped my up so well.

After trying to skate for another hour, the pain wasn't subsiding so I called it quits. After a few more days, the pain was still not going away, so I had it checked out. Turns out I had completely broken my right collar bone. Well that was certainly a fun result. Two weeks off work, no driving at all during that period. Off all skates for six weeks and only just getting back onto them now.

But, I will be back at the Icehouse again and I will pay more attention to the ice before starting to speed up a bit. Rest assured, management will be hearing from me if I spot any flaws in the ice.

Visited January 2013
gltgroup_georgina, Manager at Medibank Icehouse, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Hi Peter, thanks for taking the time to share your experience at Medibank Icehouse. The ice technicians make it their priority to ensure ice is kept at the highest quality, if you ever find it less than perfect please let our staff know so they can rectify the issue. Our staff are trained with first aid and are always onsite to help should you ever need them. We are sorry to hear about your collar bone. We hope that you make a speedy recovery and that we see you back on the ice very soon. Kind regards Icehouse Management.
Papamoa, New Zealand
7 attraction reviews
“Good for fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

An ice rink is an ice rink. It was fun although I do find the ice skating boots a little uncomfortable- I think this is the same in most ice skating places so I would recommend thick socks! Good fun though!

Visited February 2013
Australia
“Best ice skating venue in Australia but customer service is lacking!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I love this venue and visit every time when in Melbourne. I either go for a skate, to watch the ice hockey or the figure skaters practice. However I have never found the staff particularly friendly or helpful. I have given 4 stars due to the customer service. I would also like to note that during the public session many speed skaters where on the same ice skating super fast and this was paticularly dangerous. Public sessions are for the public not for speed skaters to practice. I felt the staff should of asked these skaters to slow down. However it's worth a visit when in Melbourne. The circle line tram will take you very close to the Icehouse and then it's only a short walk about 5 mins. Happy skating :o)

Visited February 2013
gltgroup_georgina, Manager at Medibank Icehouse, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on Medibank Icehouse. We are very happy to hear that you love the venue and visit us on a regular basis. Your feedback on customer service is invaluable. This is an area where businesses can always improve. We are currently in the process of putting our staff through customer service training. We hope you notice a significant improvement when you next return. We look forward to seeing you on the ice again soon. Kind regards Icehouse Management.