“RE DISCOVERED AN INDIAN GEM” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1,245 of 4,089 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Indian
Melbourne, Australia
“RE DISCOVERED AN INDIAN GEM”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Many years ago I used to often eat at The Tandoor in Chapel Street opposite the Jam Factory and then it disappeared. Driving down Commercial Road in August and stopped in traffic saw that it was now in Commercial Road not far from the Alfred Hospital. Phoned to confirm that it was the same Tandoor from years ago and assured that it was. We had a
delicious meal just as good as I always remembered it. It was a cold Wednesday night and the restaurant was only half full. The service was excellent and we will certainly go back again.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“The Tandoor - A lucky find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I am including the story of our whole evening so you can understand how lucky we were to find The Tandoor and have the fantastic meal that we did. I am writing this review so that more visitors to St Kilda can find The Tandoor on purpose.

It was getting pretty late and we really needed dinner so Ron checked the area guide/map from the lobby and we headed out to shopping area where he thought a lot of restaurants would be (rather than take the tram into St Kilda or Melbourne on a Friday night when we didn't have a reservation):
8:30 PM: Leave Hotel
It was cold!
It was dark
The map lied about haw far we had to walk
8:45 PM: walking down Commercial street
Megan "Hey look at that Restaurant across the street called 'The Tandoor' it looks nice, and warm, and tandoor means that it will have Indian food that I will like and we haven't had Indian yet in Australia"
Ron "No we have a plan, lets stick to it."
9:00 PM on the corner of Chapel and Commercial Streets
The guide/map also failed to mention that this shopping area turns into a red light district once all the stores closed
Restaurant Row it ain't
9:15 PM: The Tandoor
Megan "Hi, Two for Dinner Please"
Turns out The Tandoor is actually a well known Melbourne Indian restaurant with a well-known proprietor - who actually wound up being our server (talk about good service! -
I realized this as we were leaving and I read an article that was framed on the wall that had his photo.)
Looked up the Tandoor online afterwards, they don't have a website but are written up in lots of local "yelp" style restaurant websites and are mentioned on the travel channel website restaurant guide
(I had to wait a month to get them added to trip advisor so I could put this review here, that's how good the food was)

Dinner was DELICIOUS
Ron had Barramundi Tikka and proclaimed it very tasty
I think this was version #3 of 5 of the various ways he had Barramundi while we were in Australia, a tasty and versatile local fish
I had Chicken Tikka (naturally)
We both had the Veggie Samosas and Naan
Ron had a Crown Lager, his preferred mass market Aussie Beer, and I had a delicious Yalumba Y Series South Australia Riesling
Every wine, sparkling wine, or cider I had on this trip was from South Australia and was PERFECT for my taste buds!
10:30 PM: Fully Sated and perfectly happy with the way the evening luckily turned out we back to the Hotel to get ready for our tour in the morning

• Visited August 2011