“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mantra St Kilda Road

Save Saved
You added Mantra St Kilda Road to your Saves list
Mantra St Kilda Road
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   568 St Kilda Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia (Formerly Mint Melbourne St Kilda Rd)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #40 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed in a studio room, with well equipped kitchenette. Big comfy bed, great shower head and a good shelf in the shower for toiletries. Great access to trams, and we walked to Chapel street easily. Had dinner one night in the Italian restaurant downstairs, beautiful.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
kuala lumpur
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I have always stayed at Mint Melbourne, as its close proximity to my son's school Scotch College and CBD. I have even recommended the apartment/hotel to our friends and relatives from Malaysia. Rooms are small but clean, receptionist 'cold' but who cares..cos we hardly meet them anyways except during checkin and checkout. but my recent visit left me wondering if there is a change in management cos they are really going downhill!

The mini cleaning equals to no cleaning at all- the housekeeper only change the towels, no efforts was made to make sure the rooms are presentable, it looks exactly the same as we left for the day. and on some days the rubbish are not taken out, dusbins not emptied! The beds are 'soft'..(room 327) need i say more..very dissapointed!

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Bruce M, General Manager at Mantra St Kilda Road, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest

First of all, I would like to apologise for the problems you seem to have encountered during your recent stay with us. I would like to explain our position in a little more detail below.

With the daily servicing of your room, our process here is that all rooms are entered on a daily basis, checked for replenishment of supplies, the bathroom cleaned and towels replaced if required, beds made, rubbish emptied and the room is then spot cleaned and actioned where appropriate. Given we supply a dish washer in all of our apartments we do not expect our cleaning staff to clean used crockery, cutlery, pots & pans and glassware. On the fridge in your apartment, we have a brief flyer explaining this process and also requesting that if at any stage we can assist further, to please let us know and we will attend. Every 4th day of a guest stay, the room is stripped back and a full departure clean is executed where all linen within the room is changed and a full departure clean completed. The overwhelming feedback from our guests to date has indicated a preference for this method of servicing but if this did not meet your expectation, I again apologise.

Bruce McAleer
Regional Manager Victoria
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Really disappointed. After specifically choosing Mint on wotif.com.au as they offered a room with a king bed, we arrived to find our king size bed was in fact 2 singles pushed together. So our night was ruined with a crevasse all the way down the middle of our bed. Needless to say we will not be back.

• Stayed August 2013
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stayed here for a period of little over two months in two different rooms: the studio and the executive studio. Last one only costs about $10 more per night and is slightly larger. Absolutely worth the extra money.
Studio looks nice and has all that you need, including kitchen/fridge/dishwasher. It looks pretty new. Studios are not very large, and I would not advice them for two persons (they are about the size of a hotel room). There is a balcony. Ask for studio at front of the building.
The Mint offers free wifi if you book in advance (otherwise you will have to pay per day); they have coin operated washing machines and also provide parking for your car (they start by asking $20 for it but I got it for $10 per night)

All in all in good stay and reasonably priced.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This located out near St Kilda Rd & not in the CBD.

Hotel is very lovely and rooms are well appointed. Excellent value for money. We stayed here for 3 nights for work and family visit. Rooms were small however fitted two adults very well. It had a kitchenette which was very helpful for breakfast.

Parking is payable direct, I believe about $20/day. Hotel is a little hard to find as it is at the back of another building, you might want to put the address into a GPS!

Hotel has no room service, has a menu to order from. The food is average! You are far better of going out or ordering from a local delivery place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed at the Mint for 12 days. I booked a 1 bedroom apartment on 'What If' and there was no window in the bedroom. Upon arrival I asked that my room be changed and they refused. On the 6th day I had to approach the house keeping staff to ask them to please change the sheets and to clean the tiny apartment. They only changed the sheets. During my 12 day stay, they didn't clean the bathroom, vacuum or dust at all. The only daily housekeeping they attended to was to replace toiletries and towels. I couldn’t wait to leave. Upon checkout I was waiting for the staff to ask me how my stay was so I could give feedback and conveniently she gave me an invoice, charged me for any incidentals and didn’t ask me how I enjoyed the stay. I will not stay at the Mint again nor recommend that anyone stay at the Mint. If you do book a room - be sure to insist at the very least that the bedroom has a window.... And remember, that your room will not be cleaned during your stay.

Room Tip: If you want a window in your bedroom and hygeine this is not the place for you to stay.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Bruce M, General Manager at Mantra St Kilda Road, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Natalia

First of all, I would like to apologise for the problems you encountered during your recent stay with us. After having had an opportunity to look into the matter in detail, I would like to forward to you what I have been able to confirm so far -

With regard to our one bedroom apartments, all of these particular room types have the bedroom space set back off the living area which as you are aware have a full length window and glazed sliding door leading out onto the balcony. When you spoke to our staff, this would have been the likely reason we were unable to move your room, as all of this room type have a similar design – disappointed if this was not relayed in detail by our team. We do have other room options through-out the property with differing design layouts, so if these were not offered up as an alternative to make your stay more comfortable, I again apologise.

With the daily servicing of your room, I have pulled the paperwork to confirm what was scheduled for your room. Our process here is all rooms are entered on a daily basis, checked for replenishment of supplies, the bathroom cleaned and toweling replaced if required, beds made, rubbish emptied and the room is then spot cleaned and actioned where appropriate. On the fridge in your apartment, we have a brief flyer explaining this process and also requesting that if at any stage we can assist further, to please let us know and we will attend. Every 4th days of a guests stay, the room is stripped back and a full departure clean is executed where all linen within the room is changed. From the paper work completed by the housekeeping team it appears this process was followed so your sheets were changed on day 4, again on day 6 per your request and also on day 8 (you departed on day 12). Feedback from our guests to date has indicated a preference for this method of servicing but if this did not meet your expectation, I apologise.

With our staff on departure I am again disappointed we did not make inquiry as to how you enjoyed your stay as I am sure if we had been able to explain this to you prior to your departure we would have been able to hopefully change your current opinion of us. I will be using your experience as an example for our future training programs with all of our staff, specifically highlighting the points you have raised.

Natalia, I would like to try and change your opinion of us (bmcaleer@staymint.com) and have supplied my email if you are open to discussing in more detail the points you have raised.

Yours sincerely

Bruce McAleer
Regional Manager Victoria
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Located outside the Melbourne CBD perimeter, this is nevertheless a well run, good value hotel with some features out of the ordinary. The studio room was reasonably priced and had a usable balcony with table and chairs. There was a comfortable easy chair. It is rare to find a comfortable seat in any hotel in my experience. WiFi is clear and free. There is a kitchenette with decent equipment levels. The bathroom is clean, simple and works very well except for a tiny wash basin which splashes water whenever half filled. The plumbed in plug was also reluctant to open to let water out. The bed and pillows suited me well. An inhouse bistro, Bistrobakini, has an enticing menu on its website although I didn't have the chance to try it. I found plenty of taxi traffic passes the hotel so it is easy to grab a cab at any time. The tram to the city is also a pleasant option. I would be happy to return here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Mantra St Kilda Road? Share your experiences!