“Excellent value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mantra St Kilda Road

You added Mantra St Kilda Road to your Saves list
Mantra St Kilda Road
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   568 St Kilda Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia (Formerly Mint Melbourne St Kilda Rd)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #43 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stayed here for a period of little over two months in two different rooms: the studio and the executive studio. Last one only costs about $10 more per night and is slightly larger. Absolutely worth the extra money.
Studio looks nice and has all that you need, including kitchen/fridge/dishwasher. It looks pretty new. Studios are not very large, and I would not advice them for two persons (they are about the size of a hotel room). There is a balcony. Ask for studio at front of the building.
The Mint offers free wifi if you book in advance (otherwise you will have to pay per day); they have coin operated washing machines and also provide parking for your car (they start by asking $20 for it but I got it for $10 per night)

All in all in good stay and reasonably priced.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This located out near St Kilda Rd & not in the CBD.

Hotel is very lovely and rooms are well appointed. Excellent value for money. We stayed here for 3 nights for work and family visit. Rooms were small however fitted two adults very well. It had a kitchenette which was very helpful for breakfast.

Parking is payable direct, I believe about $20/day. Hotel is a little hard to find as it is at the back of another building, you might want to put the address into a GPS!

Hotel has no room service, has a menu to order from. The food is average! You are far better of going out or ordering from a local delivery place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed at the Mint for 12 days. I booked a 1 bedroom apartment on 'What If' and there was no window in the bedroom. Upon arrival I asked that my room be changed and they refused. On the 6th day I had to approach the house keeping staff to ask them to please change the sheets and to clean the tiny apartment. They only changed the sheets. During my 12 day stay, they didn't clean the bathroom, vacuum or dust at all. The only daily housekeeping they attended to was to replace toiletries and towels. I couldn’t wait to leave. Upon checkout I was waiting for the staff to ask me how my stay was so I could give feedback and conveniently she gave me an invoice, charged me for any incidentals and didn’t ask me how I enjoyed the stay. I will not stay at the Mint again nor recommend that anyone stay at the Mint. If you do book a room - be sure to insist at the very least that the bedroom has a window.... And remember, that your room will not be cleaned during your stay.

Room Tip: If you want a window in your bedroom and hygeine this is not the place for you to stay.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Bruce M, General Manager at Mantra St Kilda Road, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Natalia

First of all, I would like to apologise for the problems you encountered during your recent stay with us. After having had an opportunity to look into the matter in detail, I would like to forward to you what I have been able to confirm so far -

With regard to our one bedroom apartments, all of these particular room types have the bedroom space set back off the living area which as you are aware have a full length window and glazed sliding door leading out onto the balcony. When you spoke to our staff, this would have been the likely reason we were unable to move your room, as all of this room type have a similar design – disappointed if this was not relayed in detail by our team. We do have other room options through-out the property with differing design layouts, so if these were not offered up as an alternative to make your stay more comfortable, I again apologise.

With the daily servicing of your room, I have pulled the paperwork to confirm what was scheduled for your room. Our process here is all rooms are entered on a daily basis, checked for replenishment of supplies, the bathroom cleaned and toweling replaced if required, beds made, rubbish emptied and the room is then spot cleaned and actioned where appropriate. On the fridge in your apartment, we have a brief flyer explaining this process and also requesting that if at any stage we can assist further, to please let us know and we will attend. Every 4th days of a guests stay, the room is stripped back and a full departure clean is executed where all linen within the room is changed. From the paper work completed by the housekeeping team it appears this process was followed so your sheets were changed on day 4, again on day 6 per your request and also on day 8 (you departed on day 12). Feedback from our guests to date has indicated a preference for this method of servicing but if this did not meet your expectation, I apologise.

With our staff on departure I am again disappointed we did not make inquiry as to how you enjoyed your stay as I am sure if we had been able to explain this to you prior to your departure we would have been able to hopefully change your current opinion of us. I will be using your experience as an example for our future training programs with all of our staff, specifically highlighting the points you have raised.

Natalia, I would like to try and change your opinion of us (bmcaleer@staymint.com) and have supplied my email if you are open to discussing in more detail the points you have raised.

Yours sincerely

Bruce McAleer
Regional Manager Victoria
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Located outside the Melbourne CBD perimeter, this is nevertheless a well run, good value hotel with some features out of the ordinary. The studio room was reasonably priced and had a usable balcony with table and chairs. There was a comfortable easy chair. It is rare to find a comfortable seat in any hotel in my experience. WiFi is clear and free. There is a kitchenette with decent equipment levels. The bathroom is clean, simple and works very well except for a tiny wash basin which splashes water whenever half filled. The plumbed in plug was also reluctant to open to let water out. The bed and pillows suited me well. An inhouse bistro, Bistrobakini, has an enticing menu on its website although I didn't have the chance to try it. I found plenty of taxi traffic passes the hotel so it is easy to grab a cab at any time. The tram to the city is also a pleasant option. I would be happy to return here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Overall the experience of staying at Mint was pleasant. The tram stop outside the hotel is only a 15 minute ride to Federation Square in the city or St Kilda in the opposite direction. There are a number of convenience stores and takeaway outlets within walking distance. The hotel is modern throughout. My partner and I stayed in a studio room which had a balcony and a basic kitchenette with a microwave. We only have two suggestions for improvement. Firstly, we requested a king bed however this ended up being two singles side by side (king zip). This configuration meant that either my partner or I repeatedly woke up trying to pull each other out of the hole between the two beds. Unfortunately we only realised the day we checked out and stripped the bed back that the beds hadn't been zipped together. The other suggestion is that we didn't believe that it was eco friendly for the housekeeping staff to put the dishwasher on to wash only one glass.

Overall a pleasant stay, we would consider coming back if we slept on a different bed as we left feeling a little tired.

• Stayed July 2013
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Just stayed three nights in a studio apartment on level 2 overlooking the street wirh our 8 month old. Modern decor, fantastic amenities. A cot and high chair were provided with our booking request. We arrived earlier in the day than usual check-in time. We stored our bags in the baggage room and headed to the restaurant/cafe next door for a bite to eat. Reception staff found us a room earlier than expected which was just brilliant! The Staff were fantastic. After reading some reviews on this site, I was a bit worried about what to expect but had no need to be.

We also were able to order take away from the restraurant which was very handy with a baby. Food was hot and delicious. Attentive staff in the restaurant were more than happy to accommodate our baby when we dined downstairs. I would go back to the restaurant and to the hotel on my next trip to Melbourne.

Cab rank around the corner, grocery shop two blocks down. Tram stop

Room Tip: Ask for a front room, lovely views to wake up to of the trams.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel already few times and love it!
My friends also loved it!
Extremely clean and all the staff professional and very helpful.
Looking forward to stay at Mint in the next few weeks again!
One of my favorite hotels!
Thank you!

Room Tip: One bedroom and studio apartments are all with style, very elegant and extremely clean!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Mantra St Kilda Road? Share your experiences!