“Great for your second or further visit to Melbourne” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mantra St Kilda Road

Save Saved
You added Mantra St Kilda Road to your Saves list
Mantra St Kilda Road
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   568 St Kilda Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia (Formerly Mint Melbourne St Kilda Rd)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
7 Day Sale
Ranked #36 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
South Australia
“Great for your second or further visit to Melbourne”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

If you are a regular visitor to Melbourne and just want a place to stay without full hotel service, this is the place. It is only 10-15 minutes by tram from Flinders Street, take number 3, 3a, 5, 6, 16, 64, 67 to stop 25. You can reach Chapel St easily using number 6 and St Kilda on 3a or 16. Stayed for 4 days the week before Easter. No trouble booking last minute on one of the websites.

The place is virtually brand new and the rooms have been prepared to a good standard. Ultimatley the decor can be easily changed in the future unlike some hotels which stay dated due to timber and intricate features. The unfinished concrete ceiling is nifty and not something you dwell on after having the first look. The kitchenette section is there if you need it and the full fridge works more effective than those bar fridges. Great for your drinks and breakfast supplies. Studio rooms are good for one or two people. If you are a person who spends more than 2-3 daylight hours in a hotel room then this place is not for you, on holiday get out and enjoy, on business you are not really in the room during the day. Bed great, air con good, hand basin too small and they should provide a loo brush!

Mint staff are very nice and they are there to manage the guests, ultimatley they did not design the place but are the management company, so when reviewing be mindful of that, a pillar on a balcony is the architects fault.

Room Tip: I liked my room on the side overlooked an office block but shut those blackout curtains come night t...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

466 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

This establishment projects itself as an apartment hotel. I do not consider a bedroom, which just happens to have a full size refrigerator, dishwasher, sink, microwave, coffeemaker, and some cupboards and drawers with plates and glasses and cutlery, etc. more or less next to the bed as an apartment! The bathroom was bizarre: the basin was too small and the shower space too small (no bath). The lighting throughout was "designer" style, and did not really work. The decor was an attempt at a "designer" look also - and that certainly did not work. The two pieces of "art" were horrendous, and the curtains, etc. were very suburban. The stools on the balcony and in the room were more or less useless, unless you used them as tables.

When you lay on the bed ready to go to sleep and looked up to the ceiling (unpainted or unfinished concrete) with its three strip lights you really did have the sensation that you could have been on the floor in a multi-storey car park!

No restaurant or bar - but there are numerous outlets nearby. There was form of room service - but I did not try this.

The outlook from the room which I had for one week was directly onto a concrete wall on the next building............

The opening and closing of room doors was very noisy.

My stay at the Mint Rhapsody Melbourne was not a particularly joyful experience, but I have to say that the place was well-located for me when I stayed in Melbourne.

Room Tip: For a reasonable outlook, and a good-sized balcony, then you have to pay considerably more.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012 via mobile

I write a lot for Trip Advisor only because I travel a lot. I enjoy good food and like to stay comfortably.
It pains me greatly to write this review because I consider the Mint Rhapsody my little secret ... and I really don't want anyone else staying here because otherwise the price will go up and I may not be able to book my favourite room each time I stay in Melbourne.
So I won't tell you about the fabulous location that is only a couple of tram stops from the city or St Kilda (hope you don't know what a tram is). And I won't tell you about the beautiful decor, art, service and very comfy beds. Equally, I won't tell you about the spacious rooms and great rates...only because I want to keep it all for myself.
So please don't stay here, otherwise you may bump into a weary traveller with a sarcastic sense of humour!

• Stayed April 2012
melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012 via mobile

My partner had booked mint rhapsody for my birthday. We have stayed here twice before and prior to this stay I was not suprised it had been booked again because we have had such a great stay twice before this one. Our safe kept making a weird noise,we had a balcony facing a car park, however,our tv was our main issue. We could not get any movies whatsoever. Regional travellers may not find this an issue but when your a local, being away from the norm is a bit of a luxury, as you do not have to deal with every day life. We tried and tried everything we could, we even tried asking reception what to do as we had run out of ideas. After about 45 mins of calling reception and trying to fix the cabling from the cable box, we just gave up. Reception asked us if we wanted to move rooms, even though it would have ment downgrading to a room without the private balcony we had paid extra for. We finally settled on a late check out, which reception was happy to give you us for 1pm. As much as it was not a physical hotel issue, maybe they should consider going with a more promising movie provisioning tv service. Mint rhapsody is a fantastic hotel, this is the first issue we have had in 3 stays, our first being in december,and I would like to give a special mention to kimberly, she was nothing but polite and accomidating.

• Stayed March 2012
Gold Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights and were very happy with the apartment. If you wanta view you will need to ask for a lush studio as these face St Kilda Road or the rear of the building. The best rooms are at the front as those at the rear face a carpark.we stayed in 2 different units, we wanted a balcony but the first unit had a small balcony with a huge pillar taking up half the space. No room to sit outside, the second unit was much better with a view of Sy Kilda Road and no pillar so there was a reasonable amount of outdoor area. The traffic noise was not a problem as the doors are double glazed and block out most traffic and tram noise.
Staff were good and very helpful.we will stay there again on our next visit to Melbourne.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Cranbourne North
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012 via mobile

I arrived at 11.30 only to find out about parking and then travel into Moomba for the day. The wonderful Emily (a true asset) told me i could park out the front for free on Sundays and the next day because it was a public holiday. I was wrapt, the tram was right out the front and it was 10 minutes to the heart of Melbourne!
Then Emily offered to see if my room was ready! I explained i didnt expect that and only wanted parking advice and that i knew it was way too early to check in...but she insisted (amazing!) and even rang room service...it turns out they had just finished my allocated room and i was in.........AT 11.30 in the morning!! Never has this happened to me before...i was so impressed..THEN SHE SUGGESTED I MAY WANT A LATER CHECKOUT AS I WAS TRAVELLING WITH A 6 YEAR OLD AND MADE MY CHECKOUT TIME 12.00 THE NEXT DAY....
The room was amazing and very well decorated and had everything you could ever need...pure indulgance at a bargain price.
We got the bed and breakfast package and had an awesome and beautifully cooked breakfast in the restuarant downstairs called BAKINI.
Overall we felt very spoilt and well taken care of and felt it was true value for money.
I would highly recommend for a special night in Melbourne. I really felt like a valued customer and have never been so blown away by such amazing service. It was a feeling this single Mum Cranbourne Chic will not forget for a long time. Thank you so much Emily.

• Stayed March 2012
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel in February while on family vacation with our 9 month old baby for 5 nights. When trying to find a suitable hotel to stay in, we were completely shocked by the sky high prices for hotels in the good locations in Melbourne. This hotel was great value for the money - it was almost new and in a wonderful location. We loved walking, and it was about a 30 min walk from the hotel to the Flinders st station or Federation square (which i suppose is the start of the CBD). Lots of parks/waterfront nearby to enjoy as well - depending on the direction you go.

The good - the staff were amazing, Emily, Vicky etc were really helpful and they looved our little baby, made her feel special every time. She loved to hang out with them too. The room was modern with a loft feel - a bit small, but sufficient for our needs. TV was a nice flat screen with enough good channels that included some movies (we liked to watch a movie at night after along day outside). There was also a nice small balcony off that we also enjoyed even though our view was of the building next door. There is no pool but really good airconditioning in the room.

The tram was right in front although we never used it and there are a number of options for meals nearby (I recommend Nando's for their chicken - was great). There is also a small IGA supermarket nearby.

The bad - I really liked the hotel, but the standard will fall very quickly if they do not make some changes to the bathroom. I found that the toilets are already beginning to look grungy/dirty around the rim - not sure if due to insufficient cleaning or toilet design but my room and the gym toilet had the same problem. The shower area had no glass, but rather a shower curtain that was impractical - already dirty at the bottom and i refused to use it the entire time i was there. I made a note of this to the staff.

The stovetop/kitchenette is a bit too close to the bed, its too easy to empy a pot of food right on the bed of not very careful.

Finally, if the option exists, i would advise to avoid including breakfast at all costs - our rate included breakfast at the attached restaurant which we found to be extremely overpriced (based on menu list), nothing was good for the entire time we tried the food - bacon was burnt, sausages tasted funny, had no idea it was possible to have terrible pancakes but we did (they were bitter), eggs so-so and the juice was not fresh or sweet. The fruit cup was the only thing that was ok (of the menu items we tried).

All in all, I would stay here again if the standard can be maintained and due to the lovely staff, - of course i would not be having the breakfast.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mantra St Kilda Road? Share your experiences!