“We have become addicted to the Recital Centre!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Melbourne Recital Centre

Melbourne Recital Centre
Cnr Southbank Boulevard & Sturt Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)
+61 (0)3 9699 3333
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #56 of 162 Attractions in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
99 attraction reviews
“We have become addicted to the Recital Centre!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Acoustics are so good at the Melbourne recital that my partner and I have become almost compelled to go to concerts there. In the past ten months we attended 18 concerts - some in the larger area, the Dame Elizabeth Auditorium, and others in the Salon, which seats about 150 people. Both have excellent sound qualities.

Many of the concerts were part of the 'Local Heroes' program, which (surprise, surprise!) presents the works of Victorian based ensembles. Prices for these concerts are affordable at $35 /$25 per person, and the artists are remarkably good.

The diversity of the program caters for all tastes in music. We are so lucky to have the Melbourne Recital Centre in our lovely city.

Visited December 2012

Melbourne
9 attraction reviews
“World Class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Saw Sir Neville direct the Melbourne Chamber Orchestra play Mozart, the perfect Auditorium, unforgettable.

Visited January 2012
Melbourne
“Classical Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Great venue for classical concerts. Will go back again.
Really like the regular updates they send through, always will find a performance or two I will be interested to go.

Melbourne, Australia
34 attraction reviews
“superb acoustic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

have attended bands, opera, orchestral, the perfect acoustic means every sound and word is heard. the seating lay out also means no " heads" in the way.

6 attraction reviews
“A beautiful venue with misleading classification of events”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Spending $75 on a (student) ticket to the "opera" 'The Minotaur Trilogy' is the worst thing I've ever done during my three weeks in Melbourne. This was a beautiful venue with incredibly helpful staff in terms of purchasing tickets; however, unfortunately the piece we attended was not opera as advertised. Modern theatre may cover it, although I'm not sure those associated with modern theatre would want it classifed as such either. There was no music, no song, and three hours later, no one we spoke to in the audience had any idea how the performance, which entailed bizarre sounds, movements, costumes such as purses or shoes worn on the heads of performers, related to the actual story conveyed in the written trilogy. If I were to ever absolutely need to attend something here again, I would ask MANY more questions to ensure that what I attend is actually as advertised. I was shocked that the venue would advertise the "show" as "opera".