“Amazing!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Hardware Societe

The Hardware Societe
120 Hardware Lane, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (Melbourne CBD)
+61 3 9078 5992
Neighborhood: Melbourne CBD
Sydney, Australia
“Amazing!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Best breakfast and coffee I've ever had. Every time I go to Melbourne I go here... nowhere else compares. The baked eggs are so so good. Coffee is perfect. Go early because it gets busy.

92% Recommend
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Disappointing customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

The Hardware Societe has been on my list of brunch places to visit for a while but I haven't had the time to wait for the table before. A couple of weekends ago I found myself in the city with a girlfriend searching for somewhere for brunch and a catch up and Hardware Societe seemed like the perfect place! We were not in any rush so were happy to wait the 45 minutes for a table (we popped over to Silo Cafe for a coffee which we waited in the sun and that was really great coffee) then we finally sat after an hour outside at Hardware Societe. After looking around at other diners food I quickly decided upon the baked eggs with chorizo, almonds and feta for my breakfast as it looked and smelt so good. Food arrived quickly and we soon tucked in and it was going brilliantly until I crunched down on something very hard in my mouth. I had found a bit of unknown substance in my breakfast which was a shock but I get that sometimes especially with meat dishes there could be a bit of bone/gristle so I cast it aside on my plate and took another mouthful, only to find the same thing happen again.

This very quickly put me off my food and I was not going to say anything but my friend encouraged me to make the waitress aware of what it was incase it happened to someone else. I called the waitress over and showed her what I had found in my breakfast. She was very quickly very defensive saying that it was definitely an almond. I showed her what one of the other almonds in my dish looked like and the fact that I couldnt cut through this with a knife and that I thought it was actually bone. She said she had worked there over a year and nothing like this had ever happened before and she would go and tell the kitchen. She came back a few minutes later to say that the kitchen had no idea what it was (which did not really help matters) and they would make me another one. I explained that I did not want to have another cooked breakfast as it had kind of put me off my food and so she went back to the kitchen again. At this point I felt very guilty and upset that I had complained which is not really how I should have felt and thought that the customer service was very disappointing. The waitress made me feel like it was my fault this had happened - as if she thought I had slipped it into the food myself! Things did get better as she came back and asked if I would like something from the display cabinet and recommended me an almond croissant which I have to say was delicious and then of course they did not charge me for this or for my 'boney' breakfast.

All in all I thought that it could have been amazing and was so looking forward to it but just felt very let down by the attitude of the waitress when I complained about my food. Having read all of the great reviews (and my dining partner loved her breakfast too) I can see that this sort of thing rarely happens but I think staff should be prepared for a situation like this and be taught how to handle it better and actually apologise rather than make me feel bad about something which was not my fault!

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Canberra
“The Hardware Societe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stayed at the Melbourne Adina Apartment hotel. The cafe was very close by. We had brunch on Sunday before leaving our 4 day trip in Melbourne. I had the berry and macadamia nut muesli as I cannot have eggs. It was delicious. Hubby had the egg, chorizo and confit potato he said it was the best meal he had in Melbourne. Daughter had enourmous omelete with bacon and gruyere cheese. Really enjoyed it. We also had some hot croissants with butter and jam to share. Will go there every time we go back to Melbourne.

• Visited November 2013
Melbourne
“Forget the rest of the brunch places. Worth the wait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I've eaten at a lot of brunch places and am starting to weary of them. But not Hardware Societe. Very good quality food, excellent flavours, portions and great value.
Worth the wait.
It can be a hard task trying to rate a brunch place/cafe in Melbourne since all are usually pretty good, but Hardware REALLY stands out. Worth it.

• Visited September 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Yes great breakfast,I love going out and truy new places...but I have my favourite:fo example I love Japan foods and my favourite place is in city,I love pizza and my favourite place is in Heidelbeg Amici,I love thai and my favourite is in Kew,and I love going out ...for beakfast... the Hardware Societe is amazing,

• Visited November 2013