“Watch your position in he waiting list !!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Hardware Societe

The Hardware Societe
120 Hardware Lane, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (Melbourne CBD)
+61 3 9078 5992
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 3,967 restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: French, Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Neighborhood: Melbourne CBD
Perth
“Watch your position in he waiting list !!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We came for breakfast at 10am on a Sunday morning and put our name down on the waiting list for 2 people. We were told it was only about a 15 minute wait but, hey I know how these things work and expected up to 30 minutes. I became suspicious after 30 minutes and noticed arrivals after us were getting through. So when the gatekeeper was busy I looked at the waiting list. Our name was still there but 4 groups after us had gone ahead before us.

When I asked him what was going on it was evident he was letting friends and regulars through ahead of their time. I don't mind waiting but I don't like being gesumped !!

Despite this, we still really enjoyed the breakfast. The food was absolutely fantastic and worth the wait. I had the baked eggs and rated it the best breakfast in Melbourne. No kidding - it was that good.

The coffee was good without being spectacular. They had quite a big range of speciality drinks and next time I will be a lot more adventurous.

Do yourself a favour and have breakfast here. Just be vigilant about your position in the queue.

Visited July 2013

92% Recommend
Western Australia
“The Breakfast Bar Has Been Raised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We went here based on the plethora of good reviews on trip advisor. Thanks reviewers you helped us find an absolute gem of a cafe. We got there at 10am on a Friday and it was packed. We were told a 15 minute wait that was only about 3. Its small and cramped and if the food wasnt good it would have really annoyed me. Am I annoyed? Hell no!!

First the coffee. Very good, not Seven Seeds good but not far off. I would be very happy to have this as my daily grind, no complaints. My daughters hot chocolate was excellent ( after I prised it out of her fingers so I could try it...teenagers).

We had breakfast. Firstly my daughter had the vanilla rice pudding with caramel sauce and poached pear. This was great and a big serving. Creamy rice with a real vanilla hit and sweet drizzles of a loose caramel. As she said, not a healthy breakfast but a delicious one.

We also had the fried egg with pulled ham hock, peas, a cheese ( not sure which) aioli and rocket on toast. Huge serve, so good none was left. We also had the chorizo baked eggs in pimento sauce. The chorizo was amazing. It was soft, not hard and dry as it can go when cooked, but very spicy, which I loved ( some may find it too hot). The pimento sauce was a cracker with beautiful toasted almonds offering crunch and perfect flavour balance to the sauce. The eggs, very good. Seemed to be really baked, not sous vide cooked and added before serving.

The table we were on was communal and everything that came out looked as good as what we had. The charcuterie plate looked a ripper!

The service was wonderfully good from our waiter Enzo. Friendly, funny, efficient and diligent. When my daughter slopped her chocolate into her saucer Enzo noticed and quickly put a couple of serviettes onto the saucer so the drink wouldn't drip onto her when she drank the rest. If you are a server take note, THAT'S what seperates the great from the good.

Hardware Societe is brilliant. I will be back everytime I'm in Melbourne.

I wish Perth had somewhere like this!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lake Tekapo, New Zealand
“Add this to your bucket list!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

Ensured we got there nice and early to beat the crowds, however still had to queue! So glad we did! The food is to die for! The baked eggs with chorizo and the sweet special of Nutella and strawberry French toast thing were amazing! Coffee spot on as we'll although no decaf available! Will be returning without a doubt!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nelson Bay, Australia
“Don't be frightened off if you are over 40”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Had intended to go for breakfast but ended up for lunch instead. Yes you may have to wait and YES it is worth it. And Yes, the crowd is 20 something and mixed ethnicity. Went on the recommendation of my jet-setting corporate son but did not feel out of place and was treated with respect (50 plus female). Food exceptional, service busy but OK - kitchen overloaded at 11.55am and given the hype surrounding the place, should have been better. If you don't fancy a long wait; look along Hardware Lane and choose somewhere else - but NOT somewhere without queues. If it is not popular, it is not good enough to be popular! $20 fixed price lunch with may options.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Singapore
“Fantastic Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We had Duck Confit and Salmon with Clam Chowder. Both dishes were simply delicious! It was my first meal in Melbourne and the perfect start to my Melbourne experience. The cafe was cute and refreshing in yellow and white tones. Recommended by my friend to try, I would highly recommend Hardware Societe to all my friends too.

• Visited May 2013