“Melbourne laneways at their best” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Melbourne
“Melbourne laneways at their best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Just off Little Bourke Street, between Elizabeth and Queen, Portello Rosso is found down a particularly nondescript laneway. It's destination dining - the laneway is no thoroughfare, but this double storey warehouse conversion is a great spot - as is its 'sister' bar Murmur next door. The best tables are upstairs but if there's just two of you, ask for the seats at the end of the bar. You get to watch the kitchen work, you spy every dish that goes out (and perhaps order it if it looks good!) and you can have a chat with the staff if you like. The croquettes are sublime, the jamon delectable but first prize goes to the lamb chops. So plump, so tender, so delicious. A great spot all hours of the day and night.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Read reviews on Trip Advisor and thought would give it a go. We opted for the 7 course chef sellection menu as it was a great way to try most of the food. Each course was fantastic, and so rich in flavours. The service and staff are amazing and very helpful. After the fifth course I couldn't eat another mouthful, so filling and more than what I had expected. The jamon was fantastic and my favorite was the clams and pork belly. My partner who wont eat brussel sprouts tried the dish and loved it, so hats off to the chef. Would recommend this place for the food, service and amazing staff.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Great evening with a group of 22”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had a great corporate event with 22 quests at Portello Rosso. The food was good, arrived ar regular intervals and was served by very friendly staff. They catered well for people with dietary requirements.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Gold Coast
“Two visits but probably best to have left it to one.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

A fantastic find of a restaurant down one of Melbourne's laneways. I initially decided to prebook this based on tripadvisor reviews before arriving in Melbourne. We went for the chef's selection and was totally satisfied with the whole experience (head chef was on duty at time). The wonderful (initially from NZ waitress) was wonderful and informative. However returned on last night of stay due to the wonderful memory of first experience and was disappointed perhaps we shouldn't have gone yet again with the chefs selection as it was nearly identical however were not as many choices and when reviewing it was not even worth the money from the menu. In stating this I would recommend this little gem to anyone wanting a spanish dining experience.

Visited June 2013
Broome, Western Australia, Australia
“De Todo Un Poco !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is my second time at Portello Rosso in MEL. No, again, it's not an Italian inspired cuisine. It's Spanish. Better still, it does Tapas. I love Tapas. First time, last year (pretty much one year ago), it was awesome. It was the sort of food, that I haven't been able to get my teeth into for about 20 years. Well, obviously, this time it's not a 20 year gap, but rather a little 12 months stint. Food : still amazing, very authentic, as far as I can tell. And I have been to Spain quite a few times. Yes, pricey, but then again, it is exclusive and in MEL. PER, SYD and BRI are equal. By just picking on Tapas, I must have touched the heart of the Head Chef. I scored two small Tapas dishes with the compliments of the Chef! Inside, above the entranc/exit, it says :" De todo un poco" "A little bit of everything". Well, in means in one word : Tapas! No, I didn't have a reservation, No, I didn't wear a suit. I looked rather scruffy in my new workboots and jumper. Sunday at 6pm, when they opened, all tables were reserved, so next time, I book weeks ahead, just to be sure. But they put me on the 'common table', right, where I can see everybody entering. And I did see plenty of Spanish Decent faces. This will continue to be a permanent item on my itinerary, although I only get to see MEL once a year...

• Visited May 2013