“Fantastic Food and Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Portello Rosso

Portello Rosso
15 Warburton Lane, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (Melbourne CBD)
03 9602 2273
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Melbourne CBD
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Read reviews on Trip Advisor and thought would give it a go. We opted for the 7 course chef sellection menu as it was a great way to try most of the food. Each course was fantastic, and so rich in flavours. The service and staff are amazing and very helpful. After the fifth course I couldn't eat another mouthful, so filling and more than what I had expected. The jamon was fantastic and my favorite was the clams and pork belly. My partner who wont eat brussel sprouts tried the dish and loved it, so hats off to the chef. Would recommend this place for the food, service and amazing staff.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Melbourne, Australia
“Great evening with a group of 22”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had a great corporate event with 22 quests at Portello Rosso. The food was good, arrived ar regular intervals and was served by very friendly staff. They catered well for people with dietary requirements.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Gold Coast
“Two visits but probably best to have left it to one.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

A fantastic find of a restaurant down one of Melbourne's laneways. I initially decided to prebook this based on tripadvisor reviews before arriving in Melbourne. We went for the chef's selection and was totally satisfied with the whole experience (head chef was on duty at time). The wonderful (initially from NZ waitress) was wonderful and informative. However returned on last night of stay due to the wonderful memory of first experience and was disappointed perhaps we shouldn't have gone yet again with the chefs selection as it was nearly identical however were not as many choices and when reviewing it was not even worth the money from the menu. In stating this I would recommend this little gem to anyone wanting a spanish dining experience.

Visited June 2013
Broome, Western Australia, Australia
“De Todo Un Poco !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is my second time at Portello Rosso in MEL. No, again, it's not an Italian inspired cuisine. It's Spanish. Better still, it does Tapas. I love Tapas. First time, last year (pretty much one year ago), it was awesome. It was the sort of food, that I haven't been able to get my teeth into for about 20 years. Well, obviously, this time it's not a 20 year gap, but rather a little 12 months stint. Food : still amazing, very authentic, as far as I can tell. And I have been to Spain quite a few times. Yes, pricey, but then again, it is exclusive and in MEL. PER, SYD and BRI are equal. By just picking on Tapas, I must have touched the heart of the Head Chef. I scored two small Tapas dishes with the compliments of the Chef! Inside, above the entranc/exit, it says :" De todo un poco" "A little bit of everything". Well, in means in one word : Tapas! No, I didn't have a reservation, No, I didn't wear a suit. I looked rather scruffy in my new workboots and jumper. Sunday at 6pm, when they opened, all tables were reserved, so next time, I book weeks ahead, just to be sure. But they put me on the 'common table', right, where I can see everybody entering. And I did see plenty of Spanish Decent faces. This will continue to be a permanent item on my itinerary, although I only get to see MEL once a year...

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Off, Unfriednly, Food not in right order.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

While visiting Melbourne, I was craving for Spanish Tapas with a glass of Sangria. Found this place from TA. Went there for early dinner around 6pm.

-They only sell Sangria by pitcher which costs around $50. This is the only place that does not sell Sangria by glass I found from traveling many countries.

-I saw picture of salted pepper on TA. Asked about the dish, the waitress said it is out of season. ( in a very careless way) How can the pepper out of season? They even had other pepper dish on the menu. What exactly is out of season?

- We ordered a dish of bread not knowing every dish we ordered comes with bunch of breads. It would have been nicer if the waitress mentioned that the dish comes with the bread when we ordered our bread.

-Brussels Sprouts dish finally came out after we finished all of tomato puree bread, clam dish, another bread dish with roasted garlic, serrano ham dish, and 2 bottles of beer. Do they even think about order of the food to come out? Is it so hard to cut the bread????

Overall, extremely unfriendly manner from the wait staffs and the poor quality of the food and the menu just left me a bad taste in my mouth.

I just hate this type of place where they treat customers in ill manner thinking it is actually snobby.

I strongly believe this place should rank much lower than what it is now on TA.

• Visited May 2013