“Superior Short Stay Accommodation in Melbourne” 4 of 5 stars
Review of City Tempo

You added City Tempo to your Saves list
City Tempo
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   353 Queen Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free WiFi- CLICK HERE
Sydney, Australia
“Superior Short Stay Accommodation in Melbourne”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Despite the small size of the room, the apartment contained all of the features expected of a 4 star rated facility including a kitchenette.

The reception staff were exceptionally helpful and welcoming. All meals can be ordered and delivered through an external provider who offers a 45 minute delivery time. In addition, an excellent cafe is located next door and which provides a high quality, full service a la carte breakfast.

Only a minute away from a main light rail line and several minutes from a subway railway station, the accommodation facility is well located for access to public transport; also only 10 minutes walk from the main Southern Cross railway station.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Location - the location of the hotel is fine, near the CBD and all areas of entertainment. You can take a short walk on jump on the city circle tram which is one block from the hotel on La Trobe street, it's free and can take you near all the main attractions. You can also buy a Miki card to travel on trams, it costs A$6 which is non refundable and then you need to add $ after that. You tap in on the machine when boarding the tram. Also nearby I'd the Queen Victoria market which is a must see. There is food, things to buy at reasonable prices when compared with down town, an Aruba hat is A$45 compared with A$170 downtown. The market is on most days except Monday and Wednesday, but you might need to check that.

There is also the Suzuki night market which is on Wednesday night. If you have the opportunity to go to this do so, it is fantastic, great food, things to buy and live entertainment. I really was a worthwhile visit and I would certainly go back. So overall the location is fine, very handy for most things and there's a supermarket directly across the road with all your needs.

Room - we stayed in a small queen and it had a good size bed small bathroom and shower and a small kitchen which contained a washing machine, small cooker, microwave, small dishwasher, a fridge as well as assorted pots, pans, cutlery and dishes. There was also small sachets of tea and coffee. This was all very acceptable and for a short stay more than adequate and acceptable. Two in the room was fine but for a longer stay I would suggest a larger room. We did not cook in the room but we did a little washing and all was fine. There's a wardrobe but more hangers would have been useful. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were cheap and gave no neck support at all. The room was clean and tidy. The room was made up daily but this I have to say was a little less than expected. The bed was made up but the sheets were not straightened, neither was the room vacuumed. There cups were placed in the dishwasher rather than just being washed and put away. We had some issues with the shower as it leaked a bit over the floor. We also had some issues with the wind! When the wind blew it whistled under the door, this cannot be stopped no matter what you try, obviously this building has a problem with this. The room was air conditioned, when the air conditioner was on the room never got any cooler and we had to switch it off as it felt like there was a Lancaster bomber flying around the room. I am not joking about this, in a day and age we here we had almost silent appliances I hake no idea who the manufacturer of this model of air conditioner is but they got it wrong, they are supposed to be quiet and provide cold air- FAIL.

When I booked the room I was given the added bonus of free wifi otherwise the cost was A$9.95 per day. Well there was wifi the only problem was it worked when it wanted to not when you wanted it to, and it only worked on one device at a time, so two persons in the room each with a iPad cannot use the wifi together! I have to say I have staying in the middle of India where there were no car but had wifi, I have staying on remote islands near Thailand and had wifi, but you cannot have wifi in Melbourne. This was for me frustrating as I was at a conference and needed to be in touch with the office, my wife was with me and she needed wifi for her business. We spoke to the staff at reception and asked could this be fixed, I even offered to pay so we could have wifi, nothing worked. Again a massive FAIL on this front.

So overall if I had not needed wifi I guess I would have been ok, but the fact that I could not, or at least not when I needed it was a major problem for me/us. I have been thinking can I recommend this place as a place to say and I can but you must be prepared for the short comings. If you do to need Internet it's ok, if you do not need air conditioning its ok, if you do not mind your room not being cleaned or made up properly its ok. These are simple things a that could be easily rectified and if they were then you have one great little hotel.

Melbourne04, Manager at City Tempo, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Paddy C

Thank-you for your recent review of CityTempo.
I must firstly sincerely apologise about the internet issues you experienced. Please note, instances such as this are very rare and the majority of our guests enjoy an efficient, uninterrupted internet service. We understand how important a reliable internet connection is for our corporate and leisure guests. If an issue is experienced, it is generally due to settings within the guests device. We have an onsite concierge that can provide basic troubleshooting, however if they are unable to resolve the issue we recommend a free call to our internet service provider to help with more in-depth technical assistance. Mobile devices such as iPads and iPhones are very commonly used by our guests on the CityTempo WiFi network successfully. If the technical assistance team was contacted, I am almost certain they would have had you up and running in no time.
In some apartments during high winds, a whistling noise can occur from the gap between the bottom of the entry door and the floor. Each apartment purposely comes with a door snake that when placed up against the door, immediately stops this noise. Each apartment has a prominent ‘Quick Reference Guide’ detailing information about this.
The air-conditioning units at CityTempo are highly efficient and can promptly cool any apartment if used on the correct settings. The easy-to-use units can be operated via the remote or controls directly on top of the unit. We have full instruction manuals available in each apartment or any of the friendly team would be more than happy to assist 24 hours a day if having difficulty.
CityTempo provides two types of housekeeping services, normal and linen clean. The linen service is a more detailed clean and occurs every 3rd day, this includes replacement of all linen/towels and vacuuming. Both services include rubbish removal, placing dishes in the dishwasher and activating, amenity replacement, wiping surfaces etc and are highly indicative of a AAA Rated 4 Star accommodation provider.
It is great to read you enjoyed the location of CityTempo and close proximity to the Queen Victoria Market, I must say this is often mentioned from our guests as they thoroughly enjoy being able to experience all the delights the market has to offer.
Paddy C, it would have been excellent if you had approached the friendly staff regarding a few of your issues experienced, I am confident we could have resolved them for you. The team is there to help and make your stay an enjoyable one to remember for all the right reasons, as most other reviewers of CityTempo can attest to.
Thanks again for your review and we wish you well for future travels.

Ché
CityTempo Management.
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed here twice both 5 night stays during the Melboure F1 - this year and 2011 (missed the 2012 race).This one of these points when I would like a 3.5 rating on tripadvisor as 3 would be to low but 4 is also a wee bit too high.

Basically a good service apartment in a decent location near to Victoria market. Check in was excellent and great advice re night market on Weds at Victoria market.

Our issues are with the apartment and sometimes housekeeping. Apartment layout is generally ok but what the heck is it with the huge aircon/heater units on the floor? This place appears relatively new surely they could have been built in or at very minimum attached to wall/ceiling. In a one bedroom apartment it requires some very creative arrangement of the living furniture to make things work - we had the sofa on 45 degree angle. Housekeeping is also inconsistent depends very much on which individual services your room in our experience.

That being said a very decent sized place to stay with a very well equipped kitchen, but again the frying pan is so large you cannot use the other (of two) electric rings while using it. It's good location and front desk were nothing but friendly and helpful, but let down a bit various bits and bobs many of which could be fixed without much trouble.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tauranga, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

The staff at CityTempo were absolutely amazing. I had an early flight in to Melbourne and I was in the CityTempo lobby waiting for check in time. One of the staff had noticed me almost falling asleep on the couch and allowed me to check in to my room 2 hours before I was supposed to. This was only the beginning to the excellent service CityTempo's staff had given us. We were always greeted when coming in and out of the lobby, staff has no problem with calling taxis for us and on our last day we were even allowed to check out late.

The location was within walking distance to everything. When people say that City Tempo is just a 2 minute walk away, it literally is. There is a range of Malaysian food (Try The Coconut House it has amazing food for an amazing price) just a block away.

We would definitely recommend City Tempo to anyone wishing to stay there, I know for sure I would be back to stay again.

Room Tip: For the first two nights we had the 1b/r apartment, we found this too big for the two of us so we st...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

So, I went down to Melbourne on Grand Prix weekend - my normal accommodation booked out.

Russian Roulette - I was booked into City Tempo at 353 Queen St. The "City Tempo" name worried me and I had no idea where in the city it was located.

The City Tempo appears to be one of those modest looking places that double as "short stay" and residential. At reception there are instructions about "no parties" etc - you get the drift.

My flight from SYD to MEL had taken forever (5+ hours point to point - 2nd Sydney Airport anyone?) - the receptionist was friendly and took part in my usual arrival banter - always a good thing.

Ok, so up on the 18th floor. Yes, I had ended up with an apartment. The air con was on - I think MEL was going through yet another heatwave. Overall impressions of the apartment were good. The separate bedroom was intuitive and had its own air con and TV. The bathroom had a shower that was, praise be, NOT a nook (refer my previous shower experiences in BNE and Geelong). The kitchen had a dishwasher and a washing machine.

And boy, did that apartment have powerful air con - it rocked!

The only negative if you like was the "work nook" - no one would ever work at it and it was covered in gizmos for the TV, an mp3 amplifier/player thing - which was great as I listen to music a lot.

The City Tempo is quite close to Flagstaff Railway station - useful.

There is a very handy supermarket, licensed (i.e. it sells booze) and sells actual edibles across the road.

But the real drawcard was the surprise proximity to Victoria Markets - I had a fantastic roam around on Saturday morning before work. Highly recommended.

Dunno, this end of town seems to have all kinds of things going-on.

However, its obvious to me that the City Tempo has a VERY DIFFERENT types of room - read the other reviews and while I was there a massive row blew up at reception about some guests who had ended up with a "shoe box" room.

Yes, I would stay again but only in a certain room on the 18th floor.

Room Tip: The standard rooms may be tiny, go for an apartment.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We booked a Studio room and it was everything that we needed. The room was a decent size, modern furnishing and very clean. The room has its own desk and chair area, a separate small sofa and coffee table which was perfect for the two of us. The kitchen was also very handy for making our own little snacks and breakfast.

We found the bathroom very amusing as it was just separated from the room by frosted glass walls, so you could see the other person having a shower in your room!

City Tempo is located very close to Victoria Market which we loved. It is also a short walk to the main shopping and restaurant area.

The staff were amazing! Very friendly and very helpful. They provided us with maps of the places we were visiting and gave us great advice on the location.

If we were to visit Melbourne again, we would definitely consider to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed here to extend holiday in Melbourne after the GP. Pretty luxurious and most requirements catered for. Only issue was no free wifi. When on holiday you would usually spend a minimal time on the internet so to have to pay for a full 24 hours seems excessive. Free wifi in reception would be a good idea if they can't give it in rooms.

Room Tip: Dont bother with a balcony as no chairs are provided and it probably will be too cold at night to si...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to City Tempo? Share your experiences!