“A must-do” 5 of 5 stars

03 9381 1222
Website
Update restaurant details
Ranked #9 of 3,889 restaurants in Melbourne
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Hellenic Republic is a traditional Greek taverna with a contemporary twist - perfect for modern Melburnians!Our food philosophy is simple – fantastic, fresh produce to prepare traditional recipes in a clean, contemporary style. At Hellenic, kefalograviera saganaki is served with sweet peppered figs; local wines are served by the half litre and succulent meats are cooked over char coal.We recommend our Trapezi menu as the best way to dine at Hellenic Republic, where our chefs prepare a selection of our finest dishes for guests to share. The restaurant seats 120 guests, or alternatively can accommodate up to 220 standing guests for a stand up cocktail function.
Singapore, Singapore
“A must-do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Arguably the best Greek food in Vic. Place was packed to the brim- vibrant noisy, but service was attentive and brisk.
Starters were brilliant : tyri saganaki and grilled octopus were outstanding . Lamb main was also superbly flavored and tender & juicy. We were so full we didn't do dessert justice but you must make room for the rice pudding .

87% Recommend
Seattle, Washington
“Ridiculously good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

My life and my pant size changed the night I ate at HR. Hellenic Republic came highly recommended to me, so naturally it was one of my first stops in Melbourne. Everything from being greeted, to the explanation of the menu (I was dining alone *bonus they have half orders*) to the quality of the food was spot on. The rice pudding is a not to be missed (life changing amazing dessert). I'd package it up and bring it home to the States if I could. Bring an empty stomach to Hellenic it will be well worth it.

St Kilda, Australia
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Considering the quality of the food Hellenic Republic offers better value than most city restaurants. Not the easiest place to get to and I suggest taking a tram as parking is a little tricky. Quite a small menu but all of it's excellent.

Visited December 2013
Perth, Australia
“Yummy Casual Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Casual yummy food. We ordered the whole snapper, and saganaki cheese with caramelised figs. The highlight was the desert, rice pudding with caramel sauce and pistachios, with some sort of biscuit crumbled. It was the best rice pudding I have ever had in my life. Staff were professional, attentive. Worth the visit.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wellington, New Zealand
“What a great introduction to Greek food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We booked this restaurant a couple of months ago before our trip - love watching Masterchef Australia so this was a must for me for the trip to Melbourne. So glad we did - the restaurant was full on a Friday evening at 6pm. It's a little out of the way, but very convenient as just right next to a tram stop (take number 1 or 8 from Swanston Street, about 20-25 minutes). We had an excellent waiter, who was not only very familiar with the menu, but also has the crazy ability to correctly guess how much you could eat. We were all eager to just have the banquet menu, but he told us we should order from a la carte, as the banquet menu would be too much food for us. How right he was. He helped us order all the courses, making suggestions, making adjustments to portions (generally from a standard size to a small so we could try as many things as possible). We had the lovely pita bread with dips, eggplant dish, grain and nut salad, chicken, scallops, and two desserts, plus a jug of the gin and lime cocktail. All came to under AUD100 which was very reasonable. Apart from the scallops, I think everything was superb (husband was not too crazy about the eggplant either). The chicken was sensational - I never thought I would say that about chicken!

If you are visiting, do plan a stop here - a lovely restaurant with waiters that really want to make sure you enjoy the experience, and the food quality is hard to beat. Would definitely go back!

• Visited November 2013