“Make reservations - very popular restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 3,912 Restaurants in Melbourne
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Large groups, Entertaining clients, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Hellenic Republic is a traditional Greek taverna with a contemporary twist - perfect for modern Melburnians!Our food philosophy is simple – fantastic, fresh produce to prepare traditional recipes in a clean, contemporary style. At Hellenic, kefalograviera saganaki is served with sweet peppered figs; local wines are served by the half litre and succulent meats are cooked over char coal.We recommend our Trapezi menu as the best way to dine at Hellenic Republic, where our chefs prepare a selection of our finest dishes for guests to share. The restaurant seats 120 guests, or alternatively can accommodate up to 220 standing guests for a stand up cocktail function.
Danville, California
“Make reservations - very popular restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Ate here the night before the Melbourne cup. I was told about it from a Greek friend who lives in Melbourne. It was very busy and our reservation was fo 5:30 (it was that, or 8:30). We were the first table seated - but in less than 30 minutes the entire restaurant was filled. We ordered a few appetizers (grilled pita, taramosalata, fried cheese) and they were all good. We were not familiar with Greek wine - but they let us taste the sauvignon blanc before ordering a bottle. It was very good and a reasonable $50. For main course my husband ordered the large portion of grilled chicken. Very juicy. A large portion - even with us picking from his plate we could not finish it. I ordered the grilled eggplant with tomatoe and cheese. It was outstanding - smokey and salty, and the perfect temperature to have the flavors just explode. My friend had grilled prawns - I did not try them but she said they were excellent. We did not order dessert - to full. The staff called us a cab when we were done ($20 to downtown ... the tram also goes out there and we would have taken it if my husband did not have a broken ankle). I would return here - very fresh ingredients.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Burnie, Australia
“Would go back again, again, again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Fabulous meal shared recently. Great service, extensive menu and all very reasonably priced. The waitress looking after us was good enough to suggest a half portion of something since we'd ordered quite a few dishes and had no idea there'd be so much food! A wonderful meal and we all agreed we'd come back time and time again.

Wynyard, Australia
“Good one George!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Had dinner here very recently and was completely smitten with all the dishes we chose. I should've concentrated more on what each menu item was called but I was too busy living in the delicious moments - what I can remember are totally gorgeous figs, haloumi, eggplant dip with breads, pastitsio, a lamb dish that was a total 'OMG' moment, king prawns, squid (another OMG) and the baclava was simply divine! Fabulous service - we were lucky enough to end up in the private dining room for only 1 other table of patrons. No idea what the bill for the 3 of us amounted to as my dear brother footed the entire thing (thanks brother!) but I wouldn't hesitate to go again, in fact I'm planning my next visit to Melbourne as I write this! Thanks George and team - you delivered over and above and I will be telling all my friends and family.

Newcastle
“Loved the Tzatziki”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My wife and I travelled out to Brunswick shortly after arriving in town from Sydney to go Hellenic Republic. Researched tripadvisor on the net during the week we had several meals booked in the top 10 establishments while in town. The meal was fantastic - homestyle Greek. What you would imagine George Colambarus would cook for his family. Delicious and fresh. We loved it but the Tzatziki was simply the best we have ever had - and we have both been to Greece twice.

Melbourne, Australia
“Fabulous food, fabulous ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I enjoyed my experience so much i have booked our company xmas party function. The food was authentic greek and the best greek food i have ever had and i have spent a month in Greece! It was great value for money we could not eat all the food placed in front of us and they offered us more food if we were still hungry. The service was excellent .

Visited August 2013