“Would go back again, again, again!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 3,914 Restaurants in Melbourne
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Entertaining clients, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Hellenic Republic is a traditional Greek taverna with a contemporary twist - perfect for modern Melburnians!Our food philosophy is simple – fantastic, fresh produce to prepare traditional recipes in a clean, contemporary style. At Hellenic, kefalograviera saganaki is served with sweet peppered figs; local wines are served by the half litre and succulent meats are cooked over char coal.We recommend our Trapezi menu as the best way to dine at Hellenic Republic, where our chefs prepare a selection of our finest dishes for guests to share. The restaurant seats 120 guests, or alternatively can accommodate up to 220 standing guests for a stand up cocktail function.
Burnie, Australia
“Would go back again, again, again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Fabulous meal shared recently. Great service, extensive menu and all very reasonably priced. The waitress looking after us was good enough to suggest a half portion of something since we'd ordered quite a few dishes and had no idea there'd be so much food! A wonderful meal and we all agreed we'd come back time and time again.

Wynyard, Australia
“Good one George!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Had dinner here very recently and was completely smitten with all the dishes we chose. I should've concentrated more on what each menu item was called but I was too busy living in the delicious moments - what I can remember are totally gorgeous figs, haloumi, eggplant dip with breads, pastitsio, a lamb dish that was a total 'OMG' moment, king prawns, squid (another OMG) and the baclava was simply divine! Fabulous service - we were lucky enough to end up in the private dining room for only 1 other table of patrons. No idea what the bill for the 3 of us amounted to as my dear brother footed the entire thing (thanks brother!) but I wouldn't hesitate to go again, in fact I'm planning my next visit to Melbourne as I write this! Thanks George and team - you delivered over and above and I will be telling all my friends and family.

Newcastle
“Loved the Tzatziki”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My wife and I travelled out to Brunswick shortly after arriving in town from Sydney to go Hellenic Republic. Researched tripadvisor on the net during the week we had several meals booked in the top 10 establishments while in town. The meal was fantastic - homestyle Greek. What you would imagine George Colambarus would cook for his family. Delicious and fresh. We loved it but the Tzatziki was simply the best we have ever had - and we have both been to Greece twice.

Melbourne, Australia
“Fabulous food, fabulous ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I enjoyed my experience so much i have booked our company xmas party function. The food was authentic greek and the best greek food i have ever had and i have spent a month in Greece! It was great value for money we could not eat all the food placed in front of us and they offered us more food if we were still hungry. The service was excellent .

Visited August 2013
QLD
“AMAZING! A Must do in Melbourne”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We visited on a Friday night, had booked in advance via the net. It was my partner's 30th Birthday so wanted to go somewhere lovely but not to fancy. Despite the not so nice greeting from the maitred, the service we got from our table waiter was outstanding. Not only was she super helpful trying to select a suitable bottle of wine she even adjusted our order as she thought we ordered too much. We ordered the scallops (the best my partner has ever had), grilled prawns (amazing), grilled cheese, beetroot salad, corn salad and Spitroast chicken. All of it was amazing as not only was the food so yummy but not to fatty or oily, honestly the best Greek food I have ever had. A must do in Melbourne!