“Everything we expected and more!!” 5 of 5 stars

03 9381 1222
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 3,962 restaurants in Melbourne
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Hellenic Republic is a traditional Greek taverna with a contemporary twist - perfect for modern Melburnians!Our food philosophy is simple – fantastic, fresh produce to prepare traditional recipes in a clean, contemporary style. At Hellenic, kefalograviera saganaki is served with sweet peppered figs; local wines are served by the half litre and succulent meats are cooked over char coal.We recommend our Trapezi menu as the best way to dine at Hellenic Republic, where our chefs prepare a selection of our finest dishes for guests to share. The restaurant seats 120 guests, or alternatively can accommodate up to 220 standing guests for a stand up cocktail function.
Perth
“Everything we expected and more!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My wife and daughter have been wanting to go the Hellenic Republic for some time now, so I was hoping that their expectations weren't too high that they would be disappointed?
I have to say from the moment we entered till we left we had the most remarkable evening!
The service and staff here are fantastic, the staff really know the food that is being served and are happy to help you with choosing from the menu and the prices are great.
Our waitress on the night was just the most beautiful person, she was so happy and spent time talking to us that we felt at home here. We sat in the new courtyard area and it was just a beautiful spot to eat.
But the food, what can I saw that already hasn't been mentioned, its one of the best feasts I have had, the lamb was so perfect I could have eaten it all night, the prawns were cooked perfectly as was the other dishes we had. The two of them were full, but refused to leave any morsel of food behind on the plates they were enjoying it so much.
Would I come back, I'd move to Melbourne just so I could eat here once a week sums it up nicely!

• Visited October 2012

87% Recommend
Melbourne, Australia
“LOVE HELLENIC!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Absolutely LOVE Hellenic Republic!! Food is amazing, drinks are great, desserts are yummy, staff are brilliant, service is amazing and atmosphere is fantastic!! Hellenic is Greek with a twist, however it is a yummy twist! Recommend the Trapezi, you get to taste a bit of everything however be prepared, either come starving or have breaks between each course!! LOVE IT!!! I have too many favourite dishes and the list continues to get longer!! Definitely recommend to Melbournians and especially to interstaters! An experience you will never forget! I must have a Hellenic fix at least once a month!! Thanks guys, love your work, dedication, commitment and passion!!

• Visited October 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Great food, great service, great price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I had been wanting to go to Hellenic Republic for a long time and I was not disappointed! From the very beginning when I phoned to make a booking the staff were friendly and welcoming. The waitress who served us at the restaurant was very knowledgable about each dish and gave us excellent guidance as to the size of the courses and what portions would be suitable for two to share. And we are so glad we listened to her because we would have over-ordered! Unlike other restaurants in Melbourne, Hellenic Republic's portions are generous and a decent size. The prices too were a lovely surprise! As was one of our entrees (warm feta!) which was given to us 'on the house' and un-requested. A nice touch!

A very enjoyable experience and I'm certainly intending to go back there!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brisbane
“A celebration of Greek cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband and I were visiting my daughter in Melbourne for my birthday weekend. My daughter's partner had been to the Hellenic Republic for a work function and suggested that this would be the perfect place to dine...he wasn't wrong. From the moment we walked in the door we were welcomed as if we were family. The staff here are amazing - knowledgeable, attentive, friendly and extremely competent. And the food - WOW! We opted for one of the banquets at $58 per head, a bargain for the amount of food that we were served. We 'grazed' on a selection of the finest Greek food for nearly 3 hours. Each dish was explained to us and for those dishes that we managed to finish, we were asked if we would like any more. Feta Cheesecake was the dessert for the banquet, and although it looked really delicious, I asked if I could substitute this for the Greek donuts - not a problem at all. I could not recommend this restaurant highly enough and will definitely return here next time I am in Melbourne.

• Visited September 2012
ginevra
“Very good yet not like in Greece”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Very nice environment, modern Greek taverna style, and excellent service for fair prices considering Australia's standards. Food pretty good yet not consistently - excellent Cypriot salad, ok saganaki and fava but mediocre Moussaka. Overall I would recommend it to internationals, but being married to a Greek I had higher expectations and hoped for more taste and loyalty to the original recipies.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere