“Kudos!!” 5 of 5 stars

$33*
and up
Ranked #6 of 283 Activities in Melbourne
More attraction details
Owner description: Once described as a 'comprehensive highlight of the city', the Melbourne By Foot walking tour is a must for any visitor to the cultural capital of Australia. At only $40 (including coffee/tea) and with daily departures, Melbourne By Foot is the most convenient and best value way to experience the city. Our fun and informal tours show our enthusiasm for the city's past and present, our friendly guides are all 'big on Melbourne' and we are happy to share with you the unique parts of the city which many visitors miss.We have recently launched a new tour called 'The Beer Lovers Guide to Melbourne'. We have combined our passion for the past and present as well as our enthusiasm for the local craft beer scene to create an interesting and enjoyable night time tour. Come and experience Melbourne with us.
Singapore, Singapore
10 attraction reviews
“Kudos!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

After reading thru the reviews at Tripadvisor, I decided to take up the Melbourne by Foot walking tour for my wife and myself. Even though this was not my first time to Melbourne, I thought a tour guide with proper explanation would probably do more justice to the city history and culture than me trying to explain to my wife whom is her first time to Australia in fact. Indeed, Dave, the guide did not disappoint us in the least bit.

From the first meeting point to all of us in the group parting ways, he always has a ready smile for all of us in the group. More importantly, his knowledge of the city is very exhaustive and he tries very hard to answer all of our questions in the group. The walking tour is about 3 hours and covered many places of interest and cultural significance. Under the hot sun, Dave was able to explain clearly and without any hint of rush. The 15 min break in-between for drinks was also a good respite.

On the whole, this was a very well-planned walking tour coupled with a great enthusiastic guide in Dave. I would strongly recommend especially the first timers, and in fact, even regular visitors to try out Melbourne by Foot. You simply don’t know what you are missing out in terms of the city’s cultural heritage. Great work Dave!!

Hi Justin,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We have many return visitors to Melbourne who attend the tour and are always amazed at how much they learn about the city. It has been an unusually warm month and I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the pace - in spite of the heat.

Hope to see you and Joanna back in Melbourne again in the future.

All the best,

Saint Augustine, Florida
“Melbourne By Foot - Time Well Spent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Centre Pace, Neon Natives, Yarn Bombing, Hosier LA, Cherry Bar, Lamington's! Thanks to Dave these are now part of our Melbourne experience. Our recent Diamond Princess cruise visited Melbourne on 6 February, a beautiful summer day. We prefer arranging for tours privately vice thru the ship. Our only disappointment is that we didn't have more time to spend in Melbourne - a modern, vibrant and culturally diverse city. Dave's tour was a perfect mix of history, urban legend, current issues and city-scrapes. Dave is very knowledgeable and is able to engage all ages with his easy manner. We had to leave the tour about 30 minutes early to make our way back to the ship by 4:30 pm - the 109 Tram takes about 20 minutes to go from the William Street stop, on Collins Street, to Port Melbourne. My wife and I both highly recommend this tour. We are both 66 and in reasonably good condition. The distance covered and pace were fine. Dave made every effort to find shady areas where we could all rest while he wove his tale of Melbourne!

Hi Ben,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. It is a great compliment to say this is one of your most memorable tours. I am happy to hear that you got a chance to re-visit some of the areas we introduced you to - Melbourne is a city of many treasures.

Hope to see you back in Melbourne wearing your Melbourne By Foot badge with pride. ;-)

Regards.
Singapore, Singapore
3 attraction reviews
“Melbourne by Foot - An excellent introduction to Melbourne”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and I have recently returned from a holiday in Melbourne. We chose this walking tour due to the excellent reviews found online. We booked this tour and were not disappointed. Dave is a very knowledgeable and friendly guide. He is well versed on the history of Melbourne and pointed out landmarks, signs or pictures that you would have passed many times without noticing. It gave us something to read up more on the internet and also a chance to go back to the same spots to explore further at our own time. We even had a little badge given to us after we checked into the FB page. This was one of the more memorable walking tours that we have taken part in from our travels.

St. Petersburg, Florida
“Not much more to add!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Like the most recent review, I was in Melbourne for just a short cruise stop. My wife and I arranged to take the 1 pm tour with Dave and found ourselves to be the only ones signed up! We had a wonderful walking tour of the city's highlights. I have taken many tours but Dave's interest and knowledge in the city's street art scene was unique. He has a very easy going personality and is very good at what he does. Five stars!

Hi Larry,

Thanks for coming along on the tour and taking the time to write a review. I am pleased to hear that you particularly enjoyed the street art here in the city - it's certainly a highlight for many visitors and a unique part of Melbourne's buzzing culture.

Hopefully we will see you back in Melbourne again in the future.

All the best.

santa rosa
“a most welcome escape from ship excursions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

our ship, regent voyager, had melbourne as a port of call, but the excursions they offered were of the 40-people-on-the-bus city highlights or let's drive to something that takes over an hour by bus(farms, suburbs, other nearby cities) and not see anything in melbourne type. i found dave (and melbourne by foot) through trip advisor reviews, and we were extremely happy with our decision. he created a private tour for my husband and me at a price way less than half of the more typical tours, and showed us enough to make us feel we had some insight into the lore, history, architecture and sights of the city.

Visited December 2012
Dave C, Owner at Melbourne By Foot, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Hi Liz,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are finding more and more guests who are dis-satisfied by pre-organised day trips from cruises. We have many guests who are interested in seeing 'the real Melbourne' with a local guide and I am thrilled that you enjoyed the tour I put together for you and your husband. It was a pleasure to share the city with you.

All the best,