“9 nights at the crown” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“9 nights at the crown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

Its conveniently located near the CBD which makes it an ideal spot for all you vacay and business needs. The nearby crown complex is a perfect spot to start shopping and eating. The rooms are spacious and clean..Great view of the city skyline.The breakfast buffet at the maze (by Gordon Ramsey) can be a bit boring if you stay more than 3 days (it could use variety) and can be quite packed especially on weekends. Bell service is quite slow so you need to give them ample time to get your luggage sorted out but in general the staff are very nice. I wish the hotel would give guests free wifi even in the lobby after all this is a pricey hotel. Overall however it was a good hotel with lots of friendly staff.

Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

1,658 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

The reviews on here seem very harsh. My partner and I had a great stay. We stayed for 2 nights in a Lux King room. OK so the view from level 9 wasn't that great, but the room was very spacious, with a modern chic feel to it all. The standout for this hotel is the pool and fitness area on level 27 of the hotel. Plenty of daybeds, a plunge pool, a great selection of fitness equipment, all set up with incredible views of the city skyline. A great place to both workout and relax. Absolutely outstanding! We used the facilities each day we were there and would definitely go back for this reason alone.

On the other things that seem to draw the attention of other reviewers:
- we didn't eat breakfast at Maze so can't really comment on the service at that time, but dinner at Maze Grill and cocktails beforehand were great. (we recommend the brownie with salted caramel and icecream- which is also available through room service if you don't want to eat at the restaurant).
- we didn't have a problem checking in or out. Service was fine in the process and when we needed advice with directions the staff were really helpful.
- the bathrooms look great, but given the walls are merely fabric panels you can here everything from the bathroom in the main room area. As a couple it didn't bother us so much but I can see this being a real issue for other travellers that wanted privacy from their travelling companion. It's obviously a style decision rather than a functional choice in terms of the room fitouts.
- the shower pressure is pretty ordinary but that's not really a deal breaker for us- the Metropol branded toiletries were great and everything you could possibly need.
- the location is great, being connected to the casino complex, but removed enough so that you can get away from it all.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Having recently spent five nights in a twin luxe room I was extremely disappointed. The beds were uncomfortable, the bathroom poorly designed and the service was terrible. Being seated for breakfast was a monumental feat due to snobbish staff. The reception staff had no idea what the other staff members were doing and I had to clarify with three different people my bill which they hotel attempted to over charge for internet service and buffet breakfast. I would never recommend this hotel, nor stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

The Metropol is the newest addition to the Crown Complex in Melbourne.

The location is quite handy for a number of reasons. If you are driving, it is close to the Kingsway exit to the Citylink Freeway. The huge Crown complex can be reached by skybridges and gives you access to many restaurants, cinemas, video game arcade & casino. it is a 10 min walk to the start of Melbourne City.

The rooms and decor are nice and modern. Extreme intimacy is required with your room-mate as the "panels" that separate the bedroom and bathroom do not go all the way across. The separators between toilet and shower and main bathroom are fairly transparent as well. Variety of magazines in the room are a nice touch.

Unfortunately all of this is let down by the poor service of all teams in the hotel. Had this been a 2 or 3 star hotel that did not charge $260per night minimum, I would not be complaining about any of these. But, to put yourself out there as 5 star and still do the following is just unacceptable:
- My bottle opener in my room did not work so I called down for a replacement. After 25 mins, I called down again. I heard a trolley go past my room and asked for assistance. it took about 40 mins until someone turned up to assist.
- Breakfast Menu cards were missing after the first night. Here's a hint: If i've ordered breakfast in my room for one morning, I'm going to want it there most other mornings. Requests to place the order by phone were met with "no, we can't do that, you'll have to order in the morning".
- Mistakes made on breakfast delivered to room.
- Bell desk putting incorrect tag on my car, so despite calling down 20 mins before I went to get my car, i had to wait another 15 for the correct car to be delivered.
- Bell desk does not understand the meaning of "proactive". On a number of occasions I stepped out of the hotel and stood around waiting for a taxi. I ended up hailing a taxi myself on at least 2 occasions.
- Room servicing threw out my cleanser that I had left in the shower.
- no express checkout forms in the room.
- Room servicing moved my toiletries.
- Each item in the amenities pack is wrapped up in plastic that is difficult to undo.
- Room servicing moved the shower gel out of the shower each day and put on the shelf in the main bathroom - not what you want to discover half-way through your shower;
- very low water pressure in the shower, compounded by it being a non-adjustable shower head meant someone as short as me could not wash their hair properly.
- Collegues booked a non-smoking room, and were sent into a smoking room. It was only after they threatened to leave that they were offered an alternative room.

My stay was followed up with a survey, and I conveyed the above to the surveyor. One response was "had I ever stayed at a 5 star hotel before". Many - which is why I found all of these to be issues. There is really nothing that would make me stay here again.

If you're after a nice room, but have zero expectations re service, then perhaps this is the place for you. Otherwise, try one of the other hotels in the complex or stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

Overall it was a nice hotel with a good location but there were a few things that really let the experience down. These included:
- Waiting for 40 minutes to be seated for breakfast 2 morning's in a row, when it was obvious that there were plenty of empty tables.
- The TV turning on by itself early on Sunday morning to inform us that there was a message waiting
- Excessive security staff in the foyer
- Complimentary papers never showed up
- Uncomfortable pillows

It provided convenient access to South Wharf and South Bank it is just a pity that the few things above, especially the breakfast experience, spoiled it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

Our second visit to the Crown Metropol was better than the first. Our first visit was pre opening and there were a few rough edges although relatively minor. This time it was a slick operation. From check in to check out. This time we had the opportunity to use the infinity pool and the spa. Swimming above the traffic in a warm pool looking down on Melbourne traffic on a cold winters night has a special feel to it.
We also were able to check out Gordon Ramsey's Maze Restaurant. The food is small tapa style serves and we were advised that we should choose 5-6 each. As it was we had 6 between the two of us and it was perfect. Although I could imagine a erson with a big appetite would be looking for the closest McDonalds. The food was truely amazing. It was all about the taste. Small serves but packed with flavour and complementing textures. The wine list was quite extensive, not cheap but about what you would expect in a restaurant of this standard.
The room we had was exactly the same as the last one, this time on the 9th floor with views towards the bay. The only issue, if you could call it that was at breakfast when my wife asked for freshly cooked scrambled eggs she was politely directed to the pre-prepared ones.
The Metropol still kicks goals!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

Having stayed at the other Crown hotels in Melbourne I agree that this is not at the level of Crown Towers but that is the point; it is not meant to be. For the market that this has been pitched, I thought it was a great hotel. I stayed two nights with three teenage children and we loved it. The room was large with two queen beds and a great view up the Yarra and out toward the bay. The pool is a standout. Located on the 27th floor it provides a great view of the city but has a great deck area with plenty of beds. I can't complain about the service as we ordered in room desserts one night and they arrived within 15 minute. Only small complaint is that apart from Maze (restaurant) there doesn't seem to be a lot more within the actual hotel but the Crown complex is a short covered walk away. I will definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Crown Metropol Melbourne? Share your experiences!