“Modern luxury at its best” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Family Fun
Ranked #23 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Modern luxury at its best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

Stayed at the Metropol 3 times in the last month in Luxe rooms and R58 rooms, it impressed me every time i returned. Reception was friendly and always got us into our rooms quickly.

The rooms themselves were spacious and had some great features such as connections to play your iPod/laptop thru the TV, automatic curtains and one of the comfiest beds I've slept on. Bathroom had great toiletries, plenty of room and great lighting. Views could've been better but this is the only bad point i noticed about the rooms.

Pool and spa on level 27 was the best i've seen in Melbourne with it's comfy beach chairs and 360 degree views around the city, stayed up there for hours. Also had a day spa and a fitness centre. Room service from Maze was one of the best steaks i've ever had and the staff couldn't have been friendlier. Location is perfect because your connected to the Crown Entertainment Complex and also just a few minutes from the CBD and Docklands.

I'll definitely be returning to the Metropol next chance i get, whether it's to party, chill or both it can't be beaten.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

I stayed at this recently opened hotel this past weekend. I was really impressed.

I was given Room 2141 which was spacious and well appointed, with a great city view. The room was well designed, appointed and finished.

Check-in took a while, but I expect that will get better over time. When I arrived, most of the guests were new to the hotel and had to complete registration forms. As the number of return guests increases, check-in times should go down.

In my opinion this is one of the best hotels in Melbourne, and I have stayed at quite a few of them.

The only downside for me is that it is located within the Crown Casino complex. This gets really busy and is 10 minutes walk from the city centre. For others this may be good, because there are plenty of eating and drinking options, the chance to win big on the roulette tables, and to go on a spending spree.

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

Big, comfy bed - check. Fluffy pillows - check. Well stocked minibar - check. Sure the Crown Metropol has a bigger and snazzier counterpart in Crown Towers, but there is something a little more contemporary and friendlier that actually makes staying here a pleasant experience. Not being a chairman of the board type, I have begun to tire of five-star hotels that cater purely to this market - there is something impersonal and out dated by this style of hotel. Also sick of hotels where kids run the show - I have often wondered if there is a middle ground where I might actually be catered for. Happy to have finally found it here! It was great to stay in a hotel which gave all of the amenities and facilities of a five-star hotel without that traditional overblown method of hoteling .

We had a studio suite on the 25th floor with views of the ever changing Melburnian landscape, and despite the black walls the room felt expansive and airy due to the modern luxe decor and floor to ceiling windows surrounding the room. The bathroom was clean and easily accommodated both my husband and I, but unfortunately not soundproof (not so great if travelling with a friend or in the early stages of a relationship...). Although inhouse branded, the toiletries were great to use and comprehensive (when was the last time you saw shaving cream and a razer included in the standard kit?)

We tried out the bar which was part of the Maze restaurant - and this was the only let down of our stay. There was a lack of atmosphere here, that was not evident elsewhere in the hotel, and the cocktail/wine list was lacking. Considering the restaurants and bars at your beck and call in this part of Melbourne, you could definitely do better elsewhere. It would be great if there was a decent bar here, as this place was made for grown up after dinner drinks, before heading back to ones room. Room service was good. The staff were pleasant and helpful, despite the queue for the checkin/checkout (my advice to those checking out is to take advantage of the express checkout if possible to avoid the queue). We didn't get the chance to make it up to the spa/pool but will definitely rectify this situation in our next stay here.

Young and hip I would definitely recommend this for those young or young at heart.

Sth Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

We stayed here after it first opened and had great expectations. Do not go there if you think it is going to be another Crown Casino type hotel. It is not as grand as the big brother but then again , it is cheaper. We did not eat there - and who would in the CBD of Melbourne.? The gym on the top of the hotel is good as is the pool.

Daylesford, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

As other reviewers have noted, there are serious teething problems at this hotel.

I stay in hotels 2-3 nights per week on average so have a good basis for comparison and reasonable expectations. I generally stay 4-5 star.

PROS

Rooms are spacious.
Floor to ceiling windows with good views
Location excellent - right on Clarendon Street so tram outside, walk to Casino, Conference Centre and shopping via covered walkways
Gorgeous pool area with truly spectacular views, particularly at night.
Bell desk prompt at retrieving car
Room service delivery very prompt (but see comments below re disappointing quality)

CONS
* No bathtub. Huh??? Isnt this a 5* hotel???
* Bed was comfortable but doesnt compete with other 5 * products eg Westin Heavenly Bed. Even Rydges newer beds are better than these.
* Snooty receptionist on check in. I booked through wotif.com as I often do when trying a new hotel and was told (in a VERY disdainful manner) "As you boooked through THAT website, you have to produce Photo ID". If the Metropol thinks people who book through Wotif are somehow second class citizens, then they should not offer their rooms through it.
* Housekeeping. I stayed two nights and my room was cleaned VERY late. When I left my room to check out on the second day, the maid had left three carts right outside my door so not only did I almost run into them but I had to navigate around them carrying luggage
*The bottle opener provided was utterly useless - only opened a bottle of Coke after a huge struggle and an injury to my index finger!
* No room service menu in the room - the guest information folder was empty except for the dividers and Guest Services obviously thought I was stupid when I called. (They did apologise when they brought the menu to the room and I gave them the empty folder)
* The biggest disappointment was the food, which I was looking forward to it seeing Gordon Ramsay is supposedly supervising. The first night I had room service comprising a roasted tomato soup with marscapone and basil, a prawn linguini and a Gordon Ramsay sundae. The soup was passable but not well balanced with a very metallic taste. The linguine was dry and had a total of 2.5 withered prawns and way too many breadcrumbs/croutons in it. The sundae was a in small glass with three very small scoops of icecream (nice but nothing special) dribbled with some flavourless pink liquid and some unrecognisable crunchy stuff. Needless to say, I did not dine in the hotel on my second night. Breakfasts were typical of very average hotels. On the plus side, juice selection did include Cranberry, the pastry chef had done a good job with croissants & danish and they did not ask you to pay (a very annoying habit of way too many hotels) extra for a latte. There were no eggs cooked to order, the scrambled eggs runny and inedible, the bacon & potatoes half cold. Again, in a 5* hotel, I expect to be able to have my eggs cooked to order and have a better selection of HOT (as opposed to half cold) food. On the seoncd morning, when I was seated at a table, I noticed the knife in the place setting was dirty with VERY obvious smears and food residue. I removed it and took one from the unused place setting on the opposite side, leaving the dirty knife in the middle of the table. When I returned to the table from the buffet, the dirty knife had been put into the place setting opposite me. Obviously the staff are either blind or simply dont care.

In short, Crown Metropol left me totally underwhelmed. Would I stay there again?? P-o-s-s-i-b-l-y --- if I needed to be that area. Other than that, no. There are plenty of much better hotels for the same price in Melbourne.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Ayrshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

I recently stayed here on my visit trip to Austraila through work. I personally thought the hotel was fab! The rooms were a great size, two huge double beds(the best bed i have ever slept in!), rooms were very modern, lots of amentites in the room.
We did we breakfast in the hotel, Maze the Gordon Ramsey restaurant, again one of the best breakfasts ive ever eaten! Hot buffet, including pancakes,also muffens, cearal etc.
Great complex the hotel in is also, lots of bars shops and restaurant within it.
And fantastic location just a walk over a bridge in front of the hotel takes you into the city centre and all the main attractions, only 2 mintues walk from the euraka tower!(amazing views from the tower!go up it!)
All in all I would recommend the hotel and would return if visiting Melbourne again!:)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

I was curious as to how the 3rd Crown hotel would fit in between the 5 Star Towers and 4.5 Star Promenade. The answer was to go totally modern. The Metropol is a very modern hotel. From the wonderful sculptures in the lobby, the moody lighting and ceramic origami cranes in the hallways and the orange carpet in the guest rooms. I'm not sure about the orange carpet but the rest of the room is great. The bathroom is large, although if you are sharing with a colleague or stranger it is not sound proof, although it is fairly private. The rooms are huge as are the windows which provide nice views over the city. The toiletries are 'in-house' branded, which generally I am not a fan of, I do like these. The sheets were a little scratchy but I was staying during the soft opening so I expect the sheets had not even been used before.

I also had access to 28 - which is the hotels 'executive club'. The design is a little cavernous, but the furniture and finishes are excellent. It feels like you are walking to to a Poliform showroom. There is the usual 'Club' inclusions, breakfast, afternoon tea, complimentary evening drinks etc. There is an outdoor terrace for smokers which is welcomed, but not unusual for a 'casino' hotel, although this is about as far away from a casino as you can get (even though it is still linked to the Casino and the other 2 hotels with out going outside). The pool is amazing and I would have to say is the best inner-city hotel pool in Australia that I have ever seen. The layout of the lobby is a little strange it is is lacking a lobby bar. Having said that about half of the ground and first levels (next to Maze Restaurant) is still unfinished, so keep your eyes open for new surprises.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Been to Crown Metropol Melbourne? Share your experiences!