“Excellent hotel in the city” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Whiteman St, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #23 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne
“Excellent hotel in the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We loved our stay at Crown Metropol. The room was spacious and well fitted and the king size bed was an added luxury. The location is excellent, you are so close to all of Crown, Southbank and a short walk to the CBD. The 28 bar was a nice place for a drink, especially to watch the sun go down. The only criticism I have is about the pool, I know it was school holidays when we stayed but the pool and spa were so full of kids that we didn't use them. We have our own kids so don't dislike them but were really looking forward to a kid-free holiday! I think Crown should consider setting aside certain times (say after 6pm) that the pool is for adult use only. Apart from this our stay was great and we would definitely come back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
HarleyMoraitis, General Manager at Crown Metropol Melbourne, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your review.

I couldn't agree with you more in regard to our location. We are only a short walk to the city centre and Southbank. 28 is an absolutely beautiful place with great ambience and wonderful views.

I am pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy the facilities of the hotel, including the pool, which is always a highlight for our guests. However, I am disappointed to note that the pool ambience did not meet your expectation on this stay. Please be assured that your feedback has been taken on board.

We look forward to welcoming you back with us soon.

61 3 9292 8888

1,651 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Spent a couple of nights of R & R at the Metropol, upgraded to the Loft room, well worth the money, Nice view of the city to wake up to.Much prefer this hotel room than the Promenade & Towers rooms. Easy walking distance to the CBD and all Crown amenities are on your doorstep. Staff were very attentive, Well worth giving it a go.

Room Tip: Try and get as High as possible, and overlook the city, the lights are magnificent.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We really appreciate your taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

For that little bit extra, the loft room is a fantastic way to enhance your stay. I am very pleased that you took advantage of it! Your positive feedback regarding the attentiveness of the staff will be shared with the team.

We hope to welcome you back soon but in the meantime feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance in the future.

61 3 9292 8888
Canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The Crown Metropol is lovely. It is extremely modern, well designed and clean. The staff were polite.
The amenities such as the pool and change room spa were above and beyond anything I have ever seen and used in Australia. It was pure luxury, and as we were staying midweek, it was very quiet and for some time we had the pool all to ourselves! This was very relaxing and special.

The room was nice and clean. The let down for me was the bed. It was firm to the point of being uncomfortable and the pillows weren't that great either.
I normally love a firm bed, so I was surprised that this bed was so uncomfortable.
In my opinion, this bed does not come near the comfort of the beautiful beds at Hilton South Wharf and Sofitel, and for that reason I wouldn't stay at the Crown Metropol again.

However, if you're the type of person who can sleep anywhere, then this hotel would be worth a visit!

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your review.

I would firstly like to extend my apologies that you found our beds too firm. We usually get great feedback about the comfort of our beds so I was naturally disappointed to read your comments. For the benefit of our readers, we also have a range of pillows available on request but I am not sure if you had the opportunity to enquire about this with our housekeeping department.

It was pleasing to read that you enjoyed other aspects of your stay, notably the pool facilities and the hospitality of our staff.

When you have a moment, please call me on 61 3 9292 8888 as it would be great to discuss your feedback in more detail.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We came down from country Victoria for a one night stay at Southbank and go to the casino. The room was fantastic and the staff where very pleasant. Loved our stay and will be back thank you. We had a great weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper levels for a great view
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Just recently stayed at Crown Metropol Hotel Melbourne. This is a great hotel for a couple of days or more to relax. It is close to the city, and being part of a casino complex offers many dining and entertaining options. The rooms are big, clean, quiet and comfortable. It can be very busy during check inn and check out times. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Good thing about this hotel is the ability to park your car in an adjacent undercover car park for $15.00 per 24hours during week days. They charge little more on a weekend. Than you can access hotel through the undercover walkway on a first floor. If you can get this hotel on special advance purchase price it is good value.

Room Tip: Higher floor better, avoid school holidays if you can, swimming pool very crowded
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I've stayed at the Promenade my last 3 visits to melb and wanted to try metropol but it just doesn't compare in service.

Like other reviewers, I didn't like the bathroom layout and glass doors for the toilet, also sliding screens instead of walls in bathroom is strange.

We paid extra for the 28 package, managed 3 drinks each in the 90 minutes allocated. Not worth the extra money in my opinion. Staff were really unorganised and service was really slow considering there was a limited menu to order from. Sat night we had Kylie serve us and she was fantastic! She remembered our drinks order and actually looked like she enjoyed being there. Dips is a nice touch but being there a few nights in a row, a bit of variety would've been nice.

Breakfast was a standard hotel buffet, they certainly need more toasters. I'm glad I read reviews that said to order eggs from the waiter as I don't eat scrambled and that's all they had on show. Overheard a few times that they were understaffed, but in a complex that big surely you can find an extra waiter.

30 minute wait for a bowl of hot chips was a little ridiculous, I understand that they come from the restaurant downstairs, but it's not that far away! Even with the slow elevators! When they were delivered to the bar they sat on a tray for almost 5 minutes before the lady gave them to us (They were barely warm).

Room was clean, we had room service remove items from mini bar so we could use the fridge, but it's not very cold. We had to call down an ask for our bags to be sent up, even though we'd left them with the bell desk earlier and asked to have them taken up.

Wanted to try out the pool but it was packed all weekend and being school holidays we decided to stay away from splashy kids.

You can spend your whole holiday waiting for the elevators, I'm not kidding, takes longer than anywhere else I've stayed considering there's 7 or 8 of them in total, especially coming down from 28 to your room.

We won't be back at Metropol, Promenade is a lot better and costs a lot less. Value for money is important when it costs $1000+ for a few nights accommodation. Perhaps pre dinner drinks could be from 5 - 630pm as we had football tickets two nights of our stay and had to leave before 7 to make the matches on time.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Well, the lobby is very grand and spacious. Check in was fast and good. We were on the 25th floor and yes view on south side is better than the north with the car park, which our friends had. The lift areas are very dark and a little bit of a rabbit warren to get in and out of to your rooms. The rooms themselves are very modern. I didn't really like the bathroom. It has a shower and a separate toilet next to each other in a glass cubicle!! It is all open and you use the sliding doors to block off the view from the room. It is ok if a just a couple but for a family of four or sharing with friends it made it a little awkward as there is a gap down the wall that you can see through, and it echo's!!!! The room itself is very generous. We had two double beds that were comfortable. The tea selection is all herbal, would be nice to have some normal black tea, dilmah or Lipton. You have to go searching for the tea and coffee in the drawers. Breakfast at $38pp is a little Rich. Access to casino and shops is easy through the first floor and especially good in winter so you don't have to walk outside for very much of it. It was nice but I probably wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Crown Metropol Melbourne? Share your experiences!