“Wonderful room” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Ballymoney, United Kingdom
“Wonderful room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

An amazing room, with absolutely everything you would want. Everything is covered. This is a little bit of luxury, at an OK price. The parking was convenient and cheap. The hotel is ideally located, near to everything. The only thing I was unsure about was the fact it was in a massive complex, it felt slightly impersonal with so may things going on n the complex- casino, cinema, shops, entertainment etc.

1,718 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Indonesian first
Queenstown, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed here with my girlfriend whilst visiting her in Melbourne from New Zealand. She treated us both to a one night stay in an amazing room, in an amazing hotel. We loved the pool facilities hight up in the hotel, we cannot comment on the restaurant or bar in the Hotel as we dined out for both breakfast and dinner. (Note: Cervo, does a great all day breakfast in the Crown Complex). We had an amazing stay however it seemed to both myself and my girlfriend that the staff were not very interactive and talkative. The room itself was amazing and cannot fault anything as it was perfect! Everything else in our stay was great until returning back to collect our bags. We had asked the hotel to look after our bags and left to go out for breakfast as well as a final walk around the area. We returned to find our bags had been moved about two metres. We had been gone for over three hours. Offered no apology except an "ummm, ahhhhh, mmmm, it wasn't there when I came back from my break...." We were offered no apology for this error, all the porters did was look at each other. We then stormed off in anger because we both had a lot of valuables, especially myself as I was heading home to New Zealand. This soured the rest of our day, which would be our last day together for over three months. Really disappointing from a 5* Hotel with a simple error which was made worse with no apology. We expected better.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room which has two sides with large windows and high floor for excellent views of t...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

On a previous visit to the Metropol, we were left dissapointed by a range of factors that didn't go according to plan. Upon voicing the concerns to the General Manager, we decided to return at a later date to see if our initial experience was just a "once off".

Indeed it was, and it is a credit to GM Harley Moriatis and his team at Crown Metropol that our experience was completely turned around upon our second visit. We were able to look past the unfortunate events that marred our first stay and enjoy the hotel for what it is; a stylish, well appointed, well positioned and sophisticated offerring within easy reach of all that the city has to offer. We stayed on the club level and enjoyed the magnificent views of a corner room that stretched across the city and to the bay, in a modern and stylish room that rivalled the space of some inner city apartments I've visited!

I'd highly recommend staying on the club level, which gives guests access to the club lounge and breakfast on Level 28. Although the club is different in arrangement to some we've experienced such as the Hyatt and Intercontinental, it is still a nice added bonus. As opposed to having a separated club room, it entitles guests to drinks and refreshments within the bar area that other guests and visitors can also access. The breakfast on level 28, which I presume is only available to club level patrons, was a delightful experience. This left some of the 5 star buffet breakfasts that we've experienced for dead. Instead of watery and stodgy food sat out for hours on end, the produce and offerrings seemed fresh and were delicious. The view made the experience all the more enjoyable, whilst the serenity and quiet of the environment (welcomed after a large night prior) made it an excellent place to start the day.

Many thanks to Harley and all the staff who made our visit an excellent one.

Ocean Grove, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I recently took my daughter to spend the night at Crown Metropol with my brother who was in Melbourne on business.
This is the 1st time we had stayed here and I found it to be really lovely.
The warm pool and hot tub are gorgeous. And at night the view is amazing. They have big day beds to use and this was nice while I watched my daughter swim.
The position of the hotel is amazing.
The staff were helpful with everything we needed.
The rooms are very modern. Bit of a challenge to have some privacy with the way they are designed but we managed.
We ordered room service a couple of times and everything was lovely.
Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Have wanted to stay at a Crown Hotel forever... But have just never been able to justify the price. Well... After receiving an offer in my signature club mail for the "Mr Hive Dinner and Room package" for $219, I found myself unable to resist!

We parked in the multi-level carpark (owing to the fact that I'm a Signature club member and generally have a bit of a flutter most times I'm in Melbourne which entitles me to free parking... However the cost is very cheap at $11 a day) and walked a couple of minutes through the complex to arrive at the lobby which blew us away! Marble as far as the eye could see! Check-in was quick and easy and we were off to our room within minutes.

We stayed in a City Luxe King room, and upon swiping in (of course on the second try... Which I think is pre-programmed on all hotel swipe cards to make us feel silly) we were welcomed by a warm room, which was greatly appreciated in the midst of a brisk Melbourne winter. Everything was in its place, the room contained everything one would need for an overnight stay. The bathroom was quite gorgeous - however I'm not sure I'd be fully comfortable with the frosted glass if I was staying with a friend rather than with my partner.

We were told we were staying on the 16th floor with a city view... Well yes, there was city like buildings - if you looked past the giant carpark which stuck out like a sore thumb below. However the night time view was much more appealing. We did not take advantage of either of the 28th floor bar or the pool/gym on level 27... But the pool looked spectacular from the viewing window you walk out of the elevator to. Pool was full of school kids laughing and enjoying school holidays when I ventured up and I found myself too jealous that these kiddies were experiencing Crown at such an early age (while I thought back to the motels I spent my childhood in) to partake in a swim.

We had dinner at Mr Hive Kitchen & Bar, the hotel's restaurant on level 1, as an included part of our package, and this was by far the best part of our stay. The service was outstanding, the staff so attentive without being in-your-face, the ambiance amazing, and the food - oh the food - melt in your mouth deliciousness! We dined with the set 3 course menu, but the a la carte menu had plenty of winning options. And the mexspresso martini - my god - if I can only drink one drink for the rest of my life, that would be it! I suggest you take also ask your waiter if you can head to the dessert bar for dessert- if we already hadn't been on the verge of a food-baby it would have been a given!

The bed - the mattress was like a cloud, the pillows were the most amazing I've ever slept on! The bed got a little hot overnight and when I tried to rip back the sheets, I was a little disappointed to find there was no doona cover, so slept with just the sheets instead. The comfy bed made it hard to get up early to beat the rush for buffet breakfast at Mr Hive's (couldn't resist going again after such a lovely dinner). We arrived just after 8am which was perfect timing, easy access to the buffet without having to queue. The breakfast did cost $77 for two... Which we were a little thrown back by... But that soon faded once we tasted the food! Wonderful array of options - dont miss the room off the side from the big buffet that has all the fruit and muesli and pastries like we did. The extra hour you get with Crown Metropol's standard 11am check out came in handy for digestion after this huge breakfast.

Well worth treating yourself to a night here... Everything about the hotel and its location is perfect. Cannot recommend more highly!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, and river view if possible. Our room on the 16th floor was "city view&quo...
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I was excited about staying at the Crowne in Melbourne as it is sold as ultimate luxury but found the experience quite dissapointing. The hotel is situated in a massive complex with casino, cinema, shops etc. However, I find it difficult to class a hotel as luxurious when it contains a McDonalds! It just felt too big, over the top and souless! The rooms are nice and bar 28 is worth a visit. I'm sure it would suit some people but wasn't for me

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

A hotel by Crown that rightfully deserves its 5-star rating.

Stayed at one of the corner lofts for the night of 9th July. This was room 1735, and the view from every floor-to-ceiling window was stunning. You get to see the South Wharf area and the Dockland region really clearly from that part of the building.

The room was amazing. There was a fully equipped powder room just by the main door, where a coat hangar awaits. Right past this you get a gigantic television connected to a home theatre system. The lounge was comfortable and sufficiently large, with the right kind of cushions. In the same room is a dining region next to the bar which comes well-stocked.

The bedroom is very large and shares the same air space as the bathroom. Considerably, the toilet and shower is in separate closed off cubicles so no smells or steam will get into the bedroom. The large bathtub in the bathroom was amazing. Double sinks and rich timber furnishings simply add to the luxury of the entire room. I cannot forget to mention the television in the bathroom facing the bathtub.

Automated sheer and full blinds ran really well and did not give too much of a distraction in the mornings upon waking.

I have no qualms about the service quality of a hotel of this quality other than the little annoyance that they did not grant a later checkout citing a fully booked day as the main reason.

The Metropol is located in a great complex with many dining and entertainment options. A great pick obviously targeting the younger couples without kids. The overall feel given by the foyer, the lobby, and the rooms rubs off as being very chic. Be prepared to catch trams to the city or walk a distance every time you want to leave the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Crown Metropol Melbourne? Share your experiences!