“Almost perfect” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Whenever I review a hotel I always click to see what their 'terrible' reviews are, mostly because it makes me laugh at how high maintenance people are when staying in 5 star hotels, they become like children and chuck a tanty at the smallest of things. I would say firstly that whatever you read about the 'terribleness' of this hotel is simply not the case, it's just needy obnoxious rich people having a cry in their limousine on the way home.

SERVICE
Probably the most average thing about the stay. But don't get me wrong, the service was fine. There were no 'stars' that usually make my stay an experience never to forget, but everyone was reasonably nice and went about their procedures which not a smile, but a pleasant neutral look. Check-in was later in the arvo because our room wasn't ready by 2, which is always a little annoying but not life changing, as some some reviews would have you believe.

ROOM
The rooms are outstanding. Really, they are probably the best hotel rooms I've stayed in myself. They are so spacious and the decor is stunning. The bed is huge and comfortable and the ensuite is very well designed. Anyone who said they didn't like the room in this hotel is deluded. Although I can see how the room takes a dive and is suddenly hideous when valet took 5 minutes too long to return your BMW :P

FACILITIES
The facilities are stunning. The pool in beautiful and the spa as well. It's great to watch the sun go down while up there. For some reason I keep making the mistake of assuming that the pictures of the pool, with no children in them, mean that when I get there, there will be no children :P But later at night they were not there and I had a lovely spa haha.

LOCATION
I love staying in the Crown complex of Melbourne. Fabulous restaurants and bars everywhere you turn. And so close to the city, you just walk across a bridge over that little creek they call a river and you're there!

VALUE
I paid $350 per night for 2 nights and I thought what I got, whole package wise (services + room etc) was worth it. I don't think I'd feel the same if I paid $400 upwards like some guests seem to have. If I had paid that, I'd expect outstanding customer service in terms of maybe a personality and also little things like opening the taxi door when I come back at night, just little things like that. But, for what I paid, I was happy.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, you get two walls of floor to ceiling glass instead of just one. It was incre...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Indonesian first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This wonderfully modern and chic hotel was a great spot for my friend and I when went to Melbourne to attend a special event. The hotel was convenient for our purposes and walking distance from great spots on South Bank. We also walked to the nearby DFO for some shopping. However, it might be a little inconvenient if you are aiming to be in Melbourne city "proper". Due to the cold and our heels, we tended to taxi it in. It can be walked, of course, but might not be the best way to do it for most people. That would probably be the only "downside" I could identify.

The room and amenities were great. We meant to use the gym but never did! The staff were very friendly and helpful. Oh, and we loved the selection of complimentary teas.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We had a weekend here and the staff were friendly and helpful, making us feel comfortable right from check in. This place has location, Location, Location if you want to stay in the city and have lots of good dining options at your finger tips!

Room Tip: Ask about access to level 28 and decide if you will use the facilities which can be worth the extra...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel after booking it as a mystery hotel on Wotif and receiving a good rate.
The location is just a couple of minutes walk to the river and convenience of restaurants in Southbank. It's also an easy stroll into the city.
The rooms are spacious and very comfortable. The only criticism is that for a 5 star hotel I would expect a bathtub, not only a shower.
Check in and out was smooth and quick.
There is easy access from the first floor to the shopping centre.
Room service menu has good choice and offers a la carte breakfast choices too.

• Stayed May 2013
Rangiora, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at the Crown Metropol, we were booked in to our room on level 18 but found out is the smoking level so requested a move to another level which was no problem to the staff.The in-room facilities are excellent, very chic and comfortable.We understood before our stay that this is the lower level of complexes amongst the three available.The pool, gym and restuarants have excellent service and the food is of outstanding quality.The only red flag is the smoking level 18, if you are a non smoker, stay away from there, it stinks very badly of smoke everywhere on this level.Apart from that our stay was great, thay have some very good deals through the entertainment book also.

Room Tip: Non-smokers stay away from lebvel 18 at all costs!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Queensland.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Service was second to none! Reception was very warm & welcoming! thank you " James" - you were certainly the right man for that job! You were honestly made to feel very special all the way. I would have given the hotel a 10/10 , but the approved late checkout wasn't communicated or put in the computer & they locked me out of my room, causing me to be late for my function ! Pity ! Otherwise . Excellent !

• Stayed April 2013
HarleyMoraitis, General Manager at Crown Metropol Melbourne, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your review.

It is always fantastic when one of our guests mentions the service and attention of one of our team members. James is one of our supervisors at the Hotel and I will ensure he is personally thanked on your behalf.

Apologies for the slight mishap with your room keys, I hope this did not delay you too much for your function.

Thank you again, and we sincerely look forward to seeing you again.

Kind regards,

Harley Moraitis
Crown Metropol
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed only one night but could have spent more time in the hotel. The pool looked fantastic and next time I have to leave time to actually use it. The bar on the 28th floor was delightfully , we had a predinner drink there the view was amazing. The room itself was large and very clean. The service was great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Crown Metropol Melbourne? Share your experiences!