“Modern hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Modern hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Lovely modern hotel with good service. Our room was beautiful and spacious. Easy access to shops and restaurants. However there is no free wifi and valet parking is $50 per day. There is a car park next door which cost $10 a day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Indonesian first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights during Australian Open with my daughter. On 24th floor - great views of the city. Used 28th for breakfast - good selection and good coffee. Rooms very spacious and clean and beds comfortable. Staff on the whole friendly. Location great with everything you need within walking distance in the Crown complex and some lovely walks along the rive. A couple of letdowns. No bath - surprising given that space is not a problem in this location. Mattresses have stitched in plastic sheets on them - not good in 25 plus heat at night. Staff did turn the mattress when i asked though. Glass see through doors to toilet and shower. Their own complementary toiletries - at these room prices they could provide something a little more up market. Pool and gym closed at 9pm - definitely too early - should be 10pm at least. Also staff in bar on 28th were somewhat snooty about giving complementary drinks until 7pm - went up twice at 6.45 and told they were not available and had to specifically ask for the complementary drinks menu. So, could have been an excellent but a good hotel nonetheless.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I recently stayed at the Metropol with my partner to celebrate our 3 year anniversary and also for business. We stay here many times throughout the year, for birthdays etc.

I went online to make my booking directly through the site and informed the staff that we were there for a special occasion. I also asked if we could be put in a room with a nice view. To be honest, I did shop around first, checking out the Langham and Hyatt, but I really enjoy the Crown complex so decided to go with Metropol again. I had experienced good quality service here in the past.

After waiting about 15 mins to check in (peak hour so understandable) I grabbed my card and went to my room. As soon as I got out of the lift on the 12th floor, a horrible musty smell overwhelmed me. I don't know if they had a flood or just a damp floor but there were dehumidifiers around the hallway. I opened the door to the room...and discovered the amazing views...of a concrete carpark. I decided to close the blinds to block it off and found the plastic rod used to close them had in fact been broken and left on the floor.

The bathroom had no amenities apart from the soap and shampoo, and it was really a big let down from the previous times we have stayed there.

When my partner got to the room, we decided to go to the pool, leaving my card in the room and he took his. After a swim we came back to the room only to find his card didn't open the door. We asked a staff member who was walking past who looked at us like we were disturbing her and said she couldn't help up and we need to go downstairs. I waited at the door while he went down stairs. 10 mins passed while I'm standing at the door looking like an idiot and about 5 staff members walked past not even asking if I needed help. He finally arrived with security and let us in.

We did receive some complimentary champagne which was a great surprise...but it was hard to say 'cheers' to our anniversary and sit down together when there were both little kids running up and down the hallway screaming and a bridal party playing loud music next door.

Was considering re-booking to celebrate our anniversary this weekend...but perhaps at the Langham where I hear you receive the luxury that you pay for. Really disappointed.

Room Tip: I would say pay more money and get a suite or room higher up.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HarleyMoraitis, General Manager at Crown Metropol Melbourne, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I was disappointed to read of your experience – especially as you have stayed with us previously and were here to celebrate your 3rd year anniversary.

I would just like to clarify a few things regarding the points you raised:

• With regards to the musty aroma on the 12th floor, we are unaware of any issues that occurred on this floor . However, we do regularly steam clean all our carpets which may have caused this odour. I apologise if this was the cause of your discomfort
• Although we do not have dehumidifiers on our guest floors, we do place air-purifiers on all our floors. These remove most contaminants from the air and are used on all our guest floors to benefit allergy sufferers and asthmatics
• I will certainly follow up the point you raise regarding the curtain rod on the floor as this is not acceptable – especially given our strong maintenance programme within our Hotel
• Our complimentary bathroom amenities consist of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, body lotion, soap and a separate box of 6 other handy items. I would like to understand further this point when you have a moment
• As a security measure for our guests, our staff on the floors are not permitted to open any guest rooms. Hence the requirement for our security personnel to confirm the guest’s identification prior to opening any guest doors
• For any noise disturbances, we have dedicated Hotel Security staff and Hotel Duty Manager that operate 24 hours, 7 days a week. They can be contacted at any time to investigate any noise issues or disturbances to our Hotel guests. Again, I am not sure if this was something that you were aware of or had made contact with them.

I hope I have managed to address most of your concerns, however would welcome the opportunity to discuss these with you in greater detail. When you have a moment, I can be reached on +61 3 9292 8888. Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Kind regards,

Harley Moraitis
Crown Metropol
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Beautiful hotel, in an easy to access location. Rooms are exceptionally spacious, with fantastic views. Beds are so comfortable. Mr Hive Kitchen serves food that delights the taste buds. Loved the whole experience. The staff are very friendly. Bell service is the best I have experienced. DFO is a short walk from the hotel, and there are several well known restaurants in the Crowne complex, including Rock Pool (one of my favorites). Beware, you may bump into someone more famous than you:-)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Great Hotel if you got it at a discounted rate. The pool area is nice but packed with kids. There was sand at the bottom making it uncomfortable to stand up. Closes at 9. Should close at 10. In a week, we took full advantage of the room service. Ordered pretty much everything on the menu (there wasn't a great choice). It was expensive and by the end of the week, our portions were virtually halved making us hungry after paying $171 for a dinner. Breakfasts were fantastic though with a bigger option for food. The gym was sensational. The air con/heating was great. Wouldn't advise to stay in a room which overlooks the carpark. Our interconnected room didn't have a bath making it awkward with small kids. Beautiful balinese look theme throughout making decor look beautiful but the beds were terribly hard. All in all, an uncomfortable stay but surrounded by beautiful decor.

Room Tip: A room which is not at the bottom facing the carpark
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I recently stayed at the Crown Metropol with my fiance and it was lovely. Location was great-close to shops, restaurants, southbank and the Yarra River. Our room was nice and modern with a beautiful view of Melbourne and the water. All the staff were very friendly and helpful and the facilities were great. Would definately stay there again, even if it is a bit expensive.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Frankston, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed 2 nights for an anniversary celebration. The staff could not be more efficient and helpful. The room was up on the 25th floor with a great view and was very comfortable. A great place to stay.

Room Tip: Higher floors get great views
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Crown Metropol Melbourne? Share your experiences!