I recently stayed at the Metropol with my partner to celebrate our 3 year anniversary and also for business. We stay here many times throughout the year, for birthdays etc.
I went online to make my booking directly through the site and informed the staff that we were there for a special occasion. I also asked if we could be put in a room with a nice view. To be honest, I did shop around first, checking out the Langham and Hyatt, but I really enjoy the Crown complex so decided to go with Metropol again. I had experienced good quality service here in the past.
After waiting about 15 mins to check in (peak hour so understandable) I grabbed my card and went to my room. As soon as I got out of the lift on the 12th floor, a horrible musty smell overwhelmed me. I don't know if they had a flood or just a damp floor but there were dehumidifiers around the hallway. I opened the door to the room...and discovered the amazing views...of a concrete carpark. I decided to close the blinds to block it off and found the plastic rod used to close them had in fact been broken and left on the floor.
The bathroom had no amenities apart from the soap and shampoo, and it was really a big let down from the previous times we have stayed there.
When my partner got to the room, we decided to go to the pool, leaving my card in the room and he took his. After a swim we came back to the room only to find his card didn't open the door. We asked a staff member who was walking past who looked at us like we were disturbing her and said she couldn't help up and we need to go downstairs. I waited at the door while he went down stairs. 10 mins passed while I'm standing at the door looking like an idiot and about 5 staff members walked past not even asking if I needed help. He finally arrived with security and let us in.
We did receive some complimentary champagne which was a great surprise...but it was hard to say 'cheers' to our anniversary and sit down together when there were both little kids running up and down the hallway screaming and a bridal party playing loud music next door.
Was considering re-booking to celebrate our anniversary this weekend...but perhaps at the Langham where I hear you receive the luxury that you pay for. Really disappointed.
I would say pay more money and get a suite or room higher up.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.
Report response as inappropriate
I was disappointed to read of your experience – especially as you have stayed with us previously and were here to celebrate your 3rd year anniversary.
I would just like to clarify a few things regarding the points you raised:
• With regards to the musty aroma on the 12th floor, we are unaware of any issues that occurred on this floor . However, we do regularly steam clean all our carpets which may have caused this odour. I apologise if this was the cause of your discomfort
• Although we do not have dehumidifiers on our guest floors, we do place air-purifiers on all our floors. These remove most contaminants from the air and are used on all our guest floors to benefit allergy sufferers and asthmatics
• I will certainly follow up the point you raise regarding the curtain rod on the floor as this is not acceptable – especially given our strong maintenance programme within our Hotel
• Our complimentary bathroom amenities consist of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, body lotion, soap and a separate box of 6 other handy items. I would like to understand further this point when you have a moment
• As a security measure for our guests, our staff on the floors are not permitted to open any guest rooms. Hence the requirement for our security personnel to confirm the guest’s identification prior to opening any guest doors
• For any noise disturbances, we have dedicated Hotel Security staff and Hotel Duty Manager that operate 24 hours, 7 days a week. They can be contacted at any time to investigate any noise issues or disturbances to our Hotel guests. Again, I am not sure if this was something that you were aware of or had made contact with them.
I hope I have managed to address most of your concerns, however would welcome the opportunity to discuss these with you in greater detail. When you have a moment, I can be reached on +61 3 9292 8888. Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to speaking with you soon.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.