“Very impressive” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #23 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
“Very impressive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We were lucky enough to stay in one of Crown Metropol's 'Loft Rooms' as a present for my wife going on maternity leave. The room itself was simply sumptuous, and as you would expect from a newly-built hotel all the fittings and fixtures are first-class.

The bags took a long time to come up to the room - about 45 mins. But we didn't mind that too much.

We had access to Level 28 for the drinks & canapes in the evening, but there were a couple of disappointments - firstly we were challenged on the way in by the concierge because we had our 10-month old son in a stroller with us and apparently no under-18s are allowed in the area after a certain time - fair enough but he was 10 months old and we weren't planning on serving him champagne! The second let-down was the 'canapes' which basically consisted of some bread with dips. We got one serve and had to ask for some more. Nice enough but not really the selection of canapes that was advertised.

We dined at Mr Hive restaurant downstairs which was fairly good. However there is such a lot of choice in that area we probably should have gone out and eaten somewhere else along Southbank.

Overall though a very nice stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Metropol is a dream.
Modern, chic, gorgeous. I was lucky enough to get access to the lounge on 28- what a view!
Great location, close to everything (try to avoid the casino if possible).
Breakfast was delicious.
Plus the best hotel pool ever!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I had the delight of staying here again. We had a corner room which was lovely with the full height windows on two sides. Was classed 'city view' - well, we had a view of the local buildings and mostly the carpark next door. But it was still nice to have such a light open feeling room. The location is just perfect. A short stroll, through buildings, road overpasses and the casino to reach our riverfront restaurant. A night cap at a bar and then a stroll back. Our deal including valet parking - really nice with friendly service and a late check out. Although normal check out is 11am anyway!
Look for deals on websites as ours was just AU$200 for the night with the valet parking and late check out. A 'normal' room rate is about $450. Make sure you look around.
The pool area with its indoor decking area for lounging poolside is just luxury at its best. Make sure to pack your bathers.
Some packages include breakfast, ours didn't, but there are about 30 places within a five minute walk to get breakfast, so we managed quite well.
Room was spotless. Service was efficient and friendly. Amenities were ample. Not much more you could ask for!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stayed in November for 2 nights. I arrived during the day and the reception staff were fantastic. The room is really clean and the bed so very comfortable. The shower and toilet stalls seem a little clinical to me but clean and functional. Had a great view and it is so easy to get into the city centre. Swimming pool was amazing and the gym well equipped. Walking distance to the Direct Factory Outlet. The hotel is connected to the casino and cinema.

The night staff I found a little bit indifferent. While waiting to be served at the front desk, they just kept doing their paperwork without looking up to acknowledge me. When I was returning back to the hotel at night, my hands full of bags, the entrance was closed (for security purposes, I believe) but there was no one there to let me know how to get back in until a couple more hotel guests started to pile up at the entrance did a valet come out and help us.

I had called for more instant coffee to be sent up to my room, which I had thought was complimentary but was charged AUD 8 when it was time for me to checkout. The least they could do was inform me of the charges when I made the request. I pointed this out to the lady at reception and she didn't really explain or apologise... just told me I had to pay since I had already received it. Walking distance to a convenience store so don't request for toothbrushes or more tea they will charge you extra! I just couldn't believe it for the price I pay for the room.

Overall, I am happy with the room and location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

On arrival the valet staff are great, friendly and informative. The foyer upon entry is grand to say the least. Check in staff are also friendly and very informative. Rooms are exceptionally clean and well serviced, open planned very well with viewable bathroom from the main living space if that's the sort of thing you like.... we opened it up and loved it!!! The only real critique is when up against fully self contained apartments like the Quay West for example.... Value for money doesn't quite cut it. Small space and no balcony etc.... When location is the same, value for money should be somewhat a bit more competitive I believe. Regardless of 'Hotel Vs Apartments'

• Stayed November 2012
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

The room is trendy, stylish and very clean!!!
The bed was comfortable also.
The location was good and the view from our room was quite good as well.
Nothing to complain about housekeeping services, however we didn't get TV for 5 nights!!!!!!
We had to ring down for TV to get fixed by maintenance man late at night everyday!!!
Nothing was offered to us to recover what we had to go through which was very disappointing.
To get prepared not having TV in the room if you want to stay at Crown Metropol.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HarleyMoraitis, General Manager at Crown Metropol Melbourne, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at Crown Metropol.

Firstly allow me to apologise for the issues that you experienced with regards to the television in your room.

We had just completed an upgrade and did experience some intermittent issues with these services. This has now been resolved. I was disappointed to hear that there was no service recovery extended.

Please give me a call at your convenience on 61 3 9292 8888 to discuss your stay further.

Regards.
Harley Moraitis
Crown Metropol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This place was amazing!!!!!!!!!!! Location faciilities and Staff LOVED it would go back and highly reccomend it....... Our room had a great view of the Yarra. The casino was downstairs and the restaurants in there were awesome. We were able to walk inn to the city to shop. We had a car and it was easier to valet park it and walk sooo central.

Room Tip: corner had great views