“Excellent hotel, Excellent Location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Family Fun
Ranked #21 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
“Excellent hotel, Excellent Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

We stayed overnight in a Twin Luxe Room with our 2 children. Got a fantastic 1st Birthday deal on the Crown website which included parking, breakfast and spa voucher for $259.
This was our first time at Metropol but we have stayed at Towers before and think both hotels are fantastic for both service & location. When we stay at Crown we always feel special and thats why we like their hotels so much.
Metropol is modern, clean and new. The rooms have everything you need. Other reviewers have complained about the bathroom screens but we thought it was a fantastic idea and there were no privacy issues - just a great way to open up the room if you wanted to.
The pool area is great - the pool a little to cool for our liking but what a view!!! Only complaint with the pool area is that they have these wonderful double lounges around the pool area but they are covered in wet towels - your not sure if someone has reserved the lounge or has just left their wet towel there. Maybe a pool attendant could monitor this a bit more so all the the lounges could be used.
Location is excellent with the Casino precinct just over the road and South Wharf shopping a short walk up the street. Tram stop just near the casino as well.
Had buffet breakfast in Maze which was nice but nothing special for a Gordon Ramsay resturaunt (and a $40 price tag). I don't know what more you can do with a buffet breakfast but this was just the normal breakfast buffet.
Checking In & Out times were busy but the staff seemed to get through them fast and efficiently.
Interent connections were too expensive and we did not touch the mini-bar for the same reason (there is an IGA grocery and liquor directly over the road).

Would definately reccommend this hotel and we will definately be back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Indonesian first
Mordialloc, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011 via mobile

We stayed in a loft room with views of the bay and city, the loft room is amazing with gorgeous, big bath and great features such as lots of cupboards, two toilets and motorised blinds! The room was serviced twice a day and was impeccably clean. It was like sleeping in a cocoon! Very quite and private as the loft rooms are located on the city facing corners of the building.

The isika spa was amazing and we had a massage in our own private spa suite (well with the expense!)

As we were escaping renovations the simple and modern interiors were perfect!

• Stayed April 2011
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

Really impressed by our 3 night stay at Crown Metropol 22-25 April.
Stayed in spacious and modern room 2541 - I was so impressed with the cleanliness and functionality of the excellently designed room. Bed was fantastically comfortable, great views from room, great quality amenities - wish this were my own apartment really!
You can have modern designer hotels which are sterile and unfunctional, but this room really works. Beautiful decor and excellent room service.
Handily linked to the rest of the Crown complex, so no need to venture outside until you almost reach St Kilda road/Southbank. Even though its not CBD located, its not far enough away to worry about as a short walk or taxi ride takes you there.
Truly will stay here on next trip to Melbourne.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

I stayed in a Lux King room at Crown Metropol Melbourne for a week in January. It was a business trip and I made a last minute booking direct with the hotel, the valet parking was included by the telephone operator at no prompting by myself. The room was excellent to say the least. I loved the view of the city, complementary fresh peaches and nectarines in my room every day and the mints left in my car by the valet. The attention to detail was fantastic. I booked a facial after a hard day at work at Isika day spa...it was sublime and seriously one of the best spa experiences I have had to date. The gym on the same floor is very well equipped and the infinity pool and spa is divine.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

My sister treated me to a night in a Loft Room at Metropol for my 40th birthday. During our night there we we constantly raving about how brilliant the hotel was. One thing that stands out is how new and modern this hotel was. The art work throughout was exceptional.
It was very busy when we arrived but check in was relatively quick. Given the negative reviews of Maze, particularly for breakfast, we opted to buy the 'access' to Level 28 (cost will almost cover breakfast in Maze. Although we thought it was worth it, given the cost of some of the rooms, they should provide free access to the lounge.)
The Loft Room was awesome. Absolutely loads of storage and a very large and functional living area. Bathroom was lovely. Many reviewers comment on the doors of the loo/bathroom but if you are travelling with someone close to you, it shouldn't bother you. It didn't bother us.
Hotel provided a nice bottle of sparkles for my birthday. Nice touch.
Room has a decent docking station. I could'nt get it to work so I called guest services. Lovely guy turned up and got it all sorted.
The pool area is gorgeous with great views. When we were there, there were heaps of couples and families. And it was suitable for both types of groups.
My sister and I had a few drinks at the Level 28 lounge. The staff are brilliant and were very generous with the drinks!!!
We had planned to go out further in the city but due to the rain we decided to stick to the casino complex. Fantastic choice of restaurants, bars and entertainment.
Breakfast is very good. Reasonable choice (buffet).
With access to the Lounge, you get a quick check out. We checked out in under 2 mins. I was even happier with that when I wakled passed the main reception area. It was packed!!!!!
I highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to have a great time out on the town!!! My sister and I had a ball.

Room Tip: If you can, stay in a Loft Room.
Frankston, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

I stayed at Metropol on Saturday with my partner, i had a special rate through work $220 so I though at the time it was a very good deal. On checking in on the 16th they took $324.80 which included $100 a night deposit & the room cost (they didnt inform me of this deposit) then on the 17th when i checked out they processed an additional $249.92. All i have is a receipt for $249.92. They took $574.72. My bank says they are holding it until the 25th. 9 days. hmmm. Imagine the interest on this for every hotel guest overcharged + $100 per night deposit sitting in their coffers for a week.....
As for the hotel, pleasant staff, lovely pool but missing some of those extras i am used to in 5 star. No turn down service, no fresh towels & when we rang down the following morning to get clean ones and another soap/ shampoo / conditioner they didnt turn up.
The 28 club was nice, however the food in the evening was bread & dip or bread & dip. The Hilton offer a wonderful array of antipasto and walk around with hot canapes. Made you feel a bit more special for the additional $110.

Room Tip: I am not sure
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed for one night in a Luxe room for our anniversary. While we both loved the room and thought the hotel was quite nice our perception was soon changed when we went to bed. For some reason in this brand new hotel alot of noise travels through the hallways and subsequently into the rooms. We couldn't hear any noise coming in from our neighbours rooms, just the hallway. Which meant that as all the party goers came back to their rooms throughout the night/morning we were woken up constantly by their noise. Even my husband who is quite a sound sleeper was woken a couple time making us feel like we were sleeping in a backpackers hostel rather than a 5-star hotel. While I understand the hotel can't control the noise level of their guests, they can potentially control how much sound enters the rooms. We've since decided in the future to avoid staying at a Crown hotel on a weekend nights to avoid the loud guests. All in all a beautiful hotel but probably not suitable for light sleepers.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Crown Metropol Melbourne? Share your experiences!