“Nice Hotel, Good Location” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Whiteman St, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #23 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Nice Hotel, Good Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

Check in was seamless. Had to wait less than 2 minutes to be served. Staff were friendly and efficient.

Room was nice and modern. Large comfortable bed, Flat screen TV. Pillows a little too big for my liking.

Didn't like the open bathroom/toilet plan. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I like the bathroom to be seperate from the bedroom in a hotel. Other than that it was a nice place to stay.

Great location attached to the Casino and easy walk to CBD.

Would I stay here again? Probably not, I prefer the Langham

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

1,730 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

Crown Metropol was a wonderful place to stay for a long relaxing weekend break. My 4 year old daughter and I arrived via taxi and were checked in quickly. I am in the third trimester of my pregnancy and wanted to have a relaxing weekend resting and eating good food with my daughter and husband in a lovely environment. We certainly achieved this goal!
The hotel is very clean, modern and luxurious. Staff were very pleasant and gave us a non-smoking room (as requested) on the 23rd floor with a fantastic view of the city. Our luggage was taken up to our very spacious king room promptly and actually made it there before us. Hotel staff came promptly to make up the chaise longue into our daughter's bed with specially fitted bedding and also brought along some additional toiletries and towels. The king sized bed was very luxurious with wonderful sheets and duvet. The pillows while large were very helpful for me to get comfortable with my ever expanding belly. The carpeting was clean and fresh and a very nice rust colour. Lots of storage space, well stocked mini-bar, and delightful bathroom/shower/sink area with Japanese-like screens to close up the area or open it up to the rest of the room. Decor was modern and minimalist while being very elegant and not cold at the same time. Excellent blackout drapes in elegant brown silk material made it possible to sleep for 9 hours one night! Air conditioning was adjustable and very responsive. The room was very quiet and relaxing with iPhone clock radio to be able to listen to our own music. Unfortunately, I couldn't tune it to any radio stations but no problem as the LCD television also received radio stations.

We went to the pool nearly every day which was a beautiful infinity pool on the 27th floor of the hotel. There was also a warm pool with pool toys (noodles and kickboards) which was great for children. We also ordered some snacks and relaxed in the area just outside the pool for afternoon tea. There are some great lounges large enough for 2 adults to recline inside the pool area where it's possible to relax after a lovely swim. The no food and drink policy inside the pool area is a wise choice to maintain cleanliness of the hotel.

Room service was very quick from the Maze restaurant. Despite this, tagilatelle bolognaise and my medium steak did not travel well from the kitchen to our room. However, the beetroot salad was delicious along with the meze plate. However, breakfasts were always promptly delivered, hot and delicious. The hotel was very conscientious about providing guests with messages regarding busy breakfast times at Maze. We found that very helpful.

For finding good restaurants around the Crown complex, we were in the ideal location as well with Nobu, Rockpool B&G, etc very close by. There were also reasonably priced food courts nearby as well as cinema and a bit of shopping.

Checkout was uncomplicated and quick. Staff were very helpful in providing us with a taxi to depart from the hotel to restaurants and the airport.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

My partner treated us both to a night at the Crown Metropol where we had a relaxing and wonderful stay. I was impressed with the modern decor in the lobby and the professional, friendly reception staff. The location of the hotel suited our needs perfectly as we enjoyed a movie at Crown and dinner nearby at Southbank. The hotel offered express check-out for the next day, which was very handy for us.

Our room was very spacious, with a heavenly king bed and enormous down filled pillows - extremely comfortable to sleep on! The other furnishings were very tasteful, including the chaise lounge, cushions, bedside lamps and ipod speaker set. The view from our room was fantastic, especially at night with the city lit up below us.

The bathroom was sleek, stylish and spotless. Particular aspects to note include the generous sized shower, great water pressure and shower gel/shampoo/conditioner that actually smelled delicious. Also lovely was the sliding screen between the bedroom and bathroom vanity - very clever!

The highlight of the hotel in my opinion was the pool area which featured wall-to-ceiling glass windows that provided wonderful views out over the city. The light shades themselves in the pool area are a work of art - amazing. The infinity pool was stunning and while the water was too cold for me, my partner happily swam many laps. I enjoyed relaxing in the adjoining plunge tub/pool which was warmer. The double-sized poolside daybeds were a lovely touch.

Overall, an absolutely delightful and luxurious experience.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

I stayed in the luxe twin room, the room was beautifully appointed, very clean and lived up to expectations.

The view was not amazing, quite gloomy actually.

The staff were very accommodating, friendly and helpful during my stay.

The hotel is positioned between the other crowne buildings and very handy if you are wanting to venture to the casino.

Breakfast was quite expensive, but had all you needed and wanted.

As I booked when they first opened I got quite a good deal.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

Booked for one night for our first anniversary; a deluxe king room. The check-in was hassle-free, staff were friendly and professional. We were greeted by a box of chocolates and a bottle of champagne (because we told them of the special occasion). The room was exceptionally clean and the view was great. The bed was VERY comfortable. The only thing I could fault during our stay would be the "Gordon Ramsey" maze breakfast - I must say that it was somewhat disappointing. We had a ball nonetheless, and will definitely be back again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

Crown Metropol is in my view the star of the 3 crown hotels.

i was very excited to stay at the metropol, as i was staying there for my 25th birthday, a smooth check in was a welcomed suprize as previous reviews stated otherwise.

i booked a Loft room, which is the only way to go at metropol! the rooms are sensational and the very big. the bathroom is a highlight with so much space.

The service was great with only a few little problems which was qucikly fixed.

As it was my birthday a nice bottle of sparkling was in my room but the chocolates were not to be seen, none the less fresh fruit in the room was a welcome addtion.

Overall my stay at metropol was fantastic i would highly recomend anyone to stay at Metropol, my only suggestion is to inculde access to Level 28 to all people staying in loft rooms, an addtional $120+ on top of your room rate isnt cool at all.

9/10 - Great stay, cant wait to check back in again! hopefully soon.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

We stayed at Crown Metropol for 3 nights as we couldnt get into the Crown Towers. The hotel was quite busy as it was the beginning of the Australian Open tennis. The hotel itself is very modern rooms are simplistic but functional. The location is great with direct access via airbridge into the Casino and adjoining shops.

The service at the hotel was adequate and we found the concierge desk well staffed and extremely efficient. Each time we needed the car we waited no more than 10 minutes. Another great feature of the hotel is the swimming pool. The pool has views of the city with a number of sun lounges to read a book and relax. Probably one of the best indoor pool areas I have seen at any of the hotels I have stayed at.

Breakfast at Maze restuarant was a major disappointment. Service was non existent. In fact the staff did everything possible to avoid getting anywhere near you. When we arrived our table wasnt set so we requested to the staff if they could arrange cutlery etc. You would have thought we had asked the world. They still didnt even get this right so we basically went and got cutlery and set it ourselves. Food quality was average at best and there wasnt an overly huge selection. Eggs were not freshly cooked and most times they were out of juice. Sadly this continued over the three morning's we stayed. Maze you need some real work on service and quality.

But aside from Maze stay at this hotel its worth the visit.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Crown Metropol Melbourne? Share your experiences!