“Awesome Hostel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Barkly

Save Saved
You added Hotel Barkly to your Saves list
Hotel Barkly
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   109 Barkly Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3182, Australia   |
Ranked #11 of 26 Melbourne B&B and Inns
“Awesome Hostel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Been in the Hotel Barkly for 5 weeks now and I love it here. It is great fun, the staff are amazing and very friendly. The location is perfect, near the beach and high street and has good access for transport. Only 20 mins tram ride to the city.
The hostel itself is clean, the rooms are big enough with a good sized bathroom. The kitchen is not bad...but needs more fridge space and kettles for the amount of people staying.The bar downstairs is great fun and lively at weekends and there is a rooftop bar for weekend partying woohoo!
All in all I would recommend this hostel for long-term and short-term stayers. It has everything you need and more!

Room Tip: doesn't make a difference theyr all the same...except 8 dorm rooms have bigger bathrooms...i thi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
MissB109, Front Office Manager at Hotel Barkly, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your review and your comments. We are so pleased to hear that you really enjoyed your stay with us. Good luck with the rest of your travels!

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Saint Kilda, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

All the staff are awesome, the check in receptionists are extremely kind and helpful.
We stayed for 1 month and had a great time, the weather was good and we enjoyed our whole stay in the hotel.

The only downfall is the bar staff, rude and obnoxious!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
MissB109, Front Office Manager at Hotel Barkly, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for your comments! Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.. it is always a pleasure when guests return and extend their stay!
Sorry to hear that you didnt have a good experience with our bar staff.. this will be addressed with the bar managers.
I hope you enjoy the rest of your travels!
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stayed in one of the hotel rooms for a week. During the week it was lovely. Rooms are serviced every day. Beds are changed and towels are changed daily. Rooms are big bright and airy with large bathrooms. At the weekend once the rooftop club is in full swing it is rather noisy but then we expected this as we saw it on the booking site and i suppose this is reflected in the low prices.

The rooftop bar is actually a really good place to go for a night out and the recpetion staff are so friendly it made the noise worth it.

So overall a good friendly budget hotel. We will be staying again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for all your comments.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our rooftop bar is open over the weekends and unfortunately the noise does travel through to our rooms, thank you for highlighting that we do mention this on our website - we try our upmost to advise all of our guests about this to avoid disappointment. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your nights up in the club - it is a great way to meet people especially on Fridays as all backpackers in the area come to the club to enjoy the great music and cheap drinks!
We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in this hostel for 5 months and my stay has been amazing! Stayed in an 8 bed room and not had 1 problem whilst staying there! I have had friends come and go out of the hostel during their travels and requested them to be in my room and the staff accommodated them with no trouble. The rooms are basic with lockers and draws under the beds for your things and an ensuite! The staff are all lovely and help as much as they can! There is a club upstairs that's open on a weekend (which is perfect when you don't want to walk very far to get home!) you can hear the music in your room but you can easily sleep through it and I am a light sleeper! Stayed on the second floor n the noise level was fine for me. The bar downstairs is also a great place to meet new people and there is always something going on each night (such as trivia) and the food is lovely and a good price too!! I will be sad to leave this place as it feels more like a home now, but I have to move on and see other things! Thank you Barkly hotel for my lovely stay and making me feel at home.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
MissB109, Front Office Manager at Hotel Barkly, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you for your comments. It is great to hear that you had an amazing stay with us at our Backpacker Hostel, St Kilda Beach House. We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels and that we get to meet again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I booked a nice small 4 bed female dorm, and the room is pretty nice (with bathroom!) nice view as well. The location is also perfect if you like st kilda. Not far from the beach and from the big streets everything close (not if you like to be in the city center!) The kitchen is a bit too small and not many facilities for everybody who likes to cook during lunch and dinner times, not enough equipment. But in total very cosy. The matress was a bit uncomfortable. The staff was always friendly. Breakfast included, not crowded in the mornings. Good breakfast times. The bar is during happy hour packed what makes the hotel a good spot to get to know people.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our Backpacker Hostel, St Kilda Beach House. Our kitchen facilities are small but we try to use the space the best we can, it gets cleaned twice a day and also the utensils are topped up when needed. The 4 bed female only room is a new room and we are receiving good feedback for this! Also great that you had fun during our happy hours and got to meet some good people! We hope you come to stay with us again.
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Normally I'd read reviews before booking accomm but this time I didn't. That was my first mistake. I booked online, photos of the rooms looked good. I went to check in and upon arrival I noticed all of the people in the outside seating area of the pub downstairs. Loud & intoxicated. I advised the bouncer that I was here to check in. I was left to wait at the closed check in desk complete with a 90's pull down shop gate (you know the ones, they come down half way to sit on the desk). I was advised that my room was directly under the nightclub and noise does travel. She was honest, but guess I shouldve read that info when booking. That was my second mistake. No other rooms were available. I went to the lift which smelled like [--], feet and nightclub. This was not going well I thought. I arrived at my room and it was atrocious. Nothing like the photo. It seemed more of a backpackers room. The clock was held together with masking tape. Nothing was new. Completely not what it seemed. The girl was right too... I could hear everything that was going on in the upstairs nightclub. The people, the music, the dj doing free prize shoutouts over the mic. I was so mortified I sat there for a good 10 minutes in shock, not knowing what to do. Had to snap out of it. After sending a photo of the masking tape clock to a friend with the headline "accomm hell", I decided to pull myself together and find a way to come out of this alive. I booked a hotel around the corner and left hotel barkly after 30 minutes. My shortest 'hotel' stay ever. When I checked out, they didn't even ask why I was leaving. It felt like it happened all the time. This is definitely not a hotel. It's a hostel. There are far better accomms in better locations in St Kilda for an extra $50. It's worth booking elsewhere. Do not waste your time booking this. You will be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012
MissB109, Front Office Manager at Hotel Barkly, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
We do apologise that you didn't enjoy our venue. Hotel Barkly operates as two types of Accommodation, St Kilda Beach House is our Backpackers Hostel and Hotel Barkly our Hotel. The Hotel rooms are seperate to the Hostel and also situated on another level.
We do state on all of our booking sites that we are a busy licensed entertainment venue and for guests that arent aware of this when we are not fully booked we are always happy to allocate another room that is not situated directly under the Bar - we also always advise upon arrival.
Maintenance is carried out on a regular basis on all of our rooms, so i will follow up your comments in regards to this.
Pavia, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

First of all it doesn t seem a Hotel, it s on the corner of the street with a small logo on top of the door. The girl attend you in a funny casual way, everything is easy. :( The problem is the smell ( bad bad smell) on the elevator, the room is big but you have a small TV and the mattress was too soft, somewhere there s a night club that noise till late in the night, breakfast is poor. :) good beer at the pub.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Hotel Barkly is situated on the intersection of Barkly St/Grey St & Inkerman St. We have recently upgraded our venue frontage, a Hotel Barkly sign is clearly visable and we also have new awnings showing the entrance to the Accommodation.
All of our rooms have undergone some recent maintenance and some great new large flat/widescreen TVs are our recent addition to all rooms that previously had smaller TVs.
We are a busy licensed entertainment venue and all of our online booking sites do state this - we do apologise that you didnt enjoy your stay.

Been to Hotel Barkly? Share your experiences!