“nice small hotel/backpackers” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Barkly

You added Hotel Barkly to your Saves list
Hotel Barkly
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   109 Barkly Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3182, Australia   |
Ranked #22 of 32 Melbourne B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“nice small hotel/backpackers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I booked a nice small 4 bed female dorm, and the room is pretty nice (with bathroom!) nice view as well. The location is also perfect if you like st kilda. Not far from the beach and from the big streets everything close (not if you like to be in the city center!) The kitchen is a bit too small and not many facilities for everybody who likes to cook during lunch and dinner times, not enough equipment. But in total very cosy. The matress was a bit uncomfortable. The staff was always friendly. Breakfast included, not crowded in the mornings. Good breakfast times. The bar is during happy hour packed what makes the hotel a good spot to get to know people.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
MissB109, Front Office Manager at Hotel Barkly, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our Backpacker Hostel, St Kilda Beach House. Our kitchen facilities are small but we try to use the space the best we can, it gets cleaned twice a day and also the utensils are topped up when needed. The 4 bed female only room is a new room and we are receiving good feedback for this! Also great that you had fun during our happy hours and got to meet some good people! We hope you come to stay with us again.

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Normally I'd read reviews before booking accomm but this time I didn't. That was my first mistake. I booked online, photos of the rooms looked good. I went to check in and upon arrival I noticed all of the people in the outside seating area of the pub downstairs. Loud & intoxicated. I advised the bouncer that I was here to check in. I was left to wait at the closed check in desk complete with a 90's pull down shop gate (you know the ones, they come down half way to sit on the desk). I was advised that my room was directly under the nightclub and noise does travel. She was honest, but guess I shouldve read that info when booking. That was my second mistake. No other rooms were available. I went to the lift which smelled like [--], feet and nightclub. This was not going well I thought. I arrived at my room and it was atrocious. Nothing like the photo. It seemed more of a backpackers room. The clock was held together with masking tape. Nothing was new. Completely not what it seemed. The girl was right too... I could hear everything that was going on in the upstairs nightclub. The people, the music, the dj doing free prize shoutouts over the mic. I was so mortified I sat there for a good 10 minutes in shock, not knowing what to do. Had to snap out of it. After sending a photo of the masking tape clock to a friend with the headline "accomm hell", I decided to pull myself together and find a way to come out of this alive. I booked a hotel around the corner and left hotel barkly after 30 minutes. My shortest 'hotel' stay ever. When I checked out, they didn't even ask why I was leaving. It felt like it happened all the time. This is definitely not a hotel. It's a hostel. There are far better accomms in better locations in St Kilda for an extra $50. It's worth booking elsewhere. Do not waste your time booking this. You will be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012
MissB109, Front Office Manager at Hotel Barkly, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
We do apologise that you didn't enjoy our venue. Hotel Barkly operates as two types of Accommodation, St Kilda Beach House is our Backpackers Hostel and Hotel Barkly our Hotel. The Hotel rooms are seperate to the Hostel and also situated on another level.
We do state on all of our booking sites that we are a busy licensed entertainment venue and for guests that arent aware of this when we are not fully booked we are always happy to allocate another room that is not situated directly under the Bar - we also always advise upon arrival.
Maintenance is carried out on a regular basis on all of our rooms, so i will follow up your comments in regards to this.
Pavia, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

First of all it doesn t seem a Hotel, it s on the corner of the street with a small logo on top of the door. The girl attend you in a funny casual way, everything is easy. :( The problem is the smell ( bad bad smell) on the elevator, the room is big but you have a small TV and the mattress was too soft, somewhere there s a night club that noise till late in the night, breakfast is poor. :) good beer at the pub.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Hotel Barkly is situated on the intersection of Barkly St/Grey St & Inkerman St. We have recently upgraded our venue frontage, a Hotel Barkly sign is clearly visable and we also have new awnings showing the entrance to the Accommodation.
All of our rooms have undergone some recent maintenance and some great new large flat/widescreen TVs are our recent addition to all rooms that previously had smaller TVs.
We are a busy licensed entertainment venue and all of our online booking sites do state this - we do apologise that you didnt enjoy your stay.
Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 weeks..apart from it been very noisy..there is a family of mice running about in the rooms..AVOID

Stayed March 2012
MissB109, Front Office Manager at Hotel Barkly, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Sorry you didnt enjoy your stay with us. During the period you stayed with us we did experience some extremely bad weather and had Pest Control out immediately to rectify the problem, this was quickly resolved and we have had no further issues since then.
Blenheim, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Read the other review after I had already booked my stay. We went to watch Melbourne Grand Prix and was keen to get somewhere in walking distance to Albert park, which this hotel is. We thought after reading the review oh well we are keen for a bit of a party while we are there too. We stayed in there studio suite which was on the 3rd floor, it was not what I would consider a cheap room at all. The room stunk!! It smelt like a pud does when it is opened up first thing in the morning before cleaning or airing and the rooms have No windows that open. But the worst was yest to come.... The nightclub was directly above our room. The first night we wanted to be up super early to go to racing but well.... the nightclub didnt shut until 3am and it wasnt just a muffled noise in our room like we had expected but echoed and viabrate with the noise of both the DJ and the dance floor, we tried ear plugs nothing worked, it really made you go crazy. I have never experienced anything like it before and have stayed in many bar rooms before. So the next night we thought better go join the party instead but NO apparently it was a private party and denied entry, so we walked to Mc D's to try and waste as much time as possible and this went on for 4 nights!! Like the other review to make it even worse you had to try and get in past the bouncers it was an issue everynight. We were told not to use the elevator so took the stairs and the doors where all locked so had to walk back down and try the elevator which again we were "told off" for using. Constantly we were made to feel unwanted and unimportant we booked 7 nights and stayed only 4. On last day we even made a comment about the noise and we were told "well you should have joined them then" we explained it was a private party to this apparently they had no answer and walked off. I strongly recommend NOT to stay here ever. Maybe backpackers on first or second floor might be ok IF you get it at a good rate only. Please be warned from a party girl herself.

Room Tip: Stayed 3rd floor do not do this as costly and VERY noisy
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

Although advertised as a hotel, and charging associated rates, this hotel is actually a couple of rooms situated on the same level as the hostel rooms. The rooms are on level 2, sandwiched between the basement nightclub, ground floor pub and rooftop nightclub. You have to pass the bouncers and queue for the elevator with the clubbers heading to the rooftop club in order to get to the room. The music continues loudly until 3am and the roof of the room bounces under the weight of the dancing above. There are highly intoxicated people wandering around all night, and one became disorientated and followed us from the lift to our room.
This is not the sort of place to stay if you are after a base to explore Melbourne. However, if you’re after a place to party and then crash within stumbling distance then I suppose it would be perfect!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Barkly? Share your experiences!