“budget priced, not flash but cheap.” 3 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Melbourne
Coburg Motor Inn
726 Sydney Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3058, Australia   |
Ranked #160 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Melton, Victoria
“budget priced, not flash but cheap.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

A budget priced motel, not flash but cheap for the location. Rooms are not modern by any means as the complex has been there for more than 33 years that i know of. Tea and coffee facilities are provided also an iron if required. they do need a touch of paint and the odd bit of maintanance going, But you have the No.19 trams outside the Motel heading to the City that will take you from the motel through Coburg, Brunswick to the Royal Melbourne Hospital and on to the Queen Victoria Market, ending in the City opposite the Flinders Street Railway Station, the trip takes about 30/40 minutes each way and does the return trip every 10 to 20 minutes. Budget yes, (not the expensive city prices) but for cheapness and convenience, Great. Beds are warm, showers good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Adelaide
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Terrible motel, stay here if you want to risk your life! The room we were given was not what we booked, they didn't have a key as the guy staying in there previously had apparently "skipped out" with the key. They were able to change the lock on the spot which was disconcerting in itself. Room was meant to be non smoking but obviously wasn't as everything was saturated in cigarette smoke we could hardly breathe. Hadn't been cleaned, cigarette butts in the shower which is just disgusting. At 2 am someone tried to get into our room with a key, then went and got assistance from the owners which needless to say freaked us out as a group of women with strange guys trying to break into our room. How could the owner not have known the room was taken - he changed the bloody lock! His response to us the next day when we told him was "Well he didn't get in did he". We asked for our money back and went to another hotel the next night. He refused to give us our money back, and said "I don't care what you think, we are always full". Which they weren't. Seriously if you value your safety don't stay here!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Canberra
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

We just survived 3 nights in this hell hole. The reason we booked here was because my husband was competing in a 24 hour run around the corner. It was convenient definitely but that was where the positives stopped!!! I was travelling with my husband and 17 year old daughter - on opening the door to room number 23 we were horrified!! It was smelly dark and awful!! When we closed the door it had patched holes and 2 bolts ripped off the door - the kitchenette had ants the curtains had holes and the bathroom was foul!! The door handle to the bathroom was almost off and the bathroom was filthy - so bad that my daughter was scared to have a shower and asked me to wait at the door while she did. Thank god we threw our own linen in the car at the last minute. While the website says no smoking the smell of smoke wafts through the room from somewhere!! You can hear EVERYTHING going on in the rooms around you!!! Unbeknownst to us the area of coburg is not great - but honestly Saturday night (my husband was at his run) I was petrified - a woman started screaming and swearing around 1130 for people to shut up it went on for around an hour when finally the manger came and after more yelling and swearing it finally settled after 1am. Forget the pool it is green and clearly hasn't been used in years!! Great tram location that is probably the most positive thing I can say. Honestly at $145 night I expect a clean comfortable room - this room was dreadful - never ever again!!!

• Stayed April 2013
Coolangatta, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

if you have to stay in Coburg,,Sydney Rd,,stay here,,'Coburg Motor Inn',at 726 Sydney road its safe and quite,,its clean and simple...
its run by a Chinese Aussie Guy,,,who is a really nice guy..

"Donot ever stay at the "StayINN Motel", which is at 844 Sydney rd,,which is further up the road its Very Dangerous,,its full of local Drug Addicts and Drunks,,i stayed there its Pure Hell.

So Coburg Motor Inn,,clean simple,,no problem,,,best Motel in Sydney road Coburg...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Leumeah, New South Wales, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Was not happy even before we unpacked the car. The other clientele left a lot to be desired. The room seemed clean enough but I have read reviews that said it had been refurbished. No our room hadn't ... went and bought antibacterial cleaning wipes for the bathroom before we could shower. Very noisy all night with people hanging out in the car park and around the back. I booked for two nights but left after one (let them keep my money) as did not feel comfortable or secure.

Room Tip: Can't see where the host was friendly (according to other reviews) Had very little conversation...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, AB
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed at this motel for one night because we had an early flight the next morning. It was clean and comfortable. The neighbourhood that it was in is not the nicest though, and there is not much around within close walking distance, so I'm glad we were only there for one night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This motel belongs to the Budget Chain which in general I have found to be cheap, clean and comfortable. The room was nothing special but it was clean and the bed was very comfortable and for the price, it was excellent value for money. I arrived at 1:00am and the manager was available to check me in. Nothing was too much trouble for him.

On leaving, I left my blood glucose monitor in the room. I rang and the cleaners had found it and put it in the store room. The manager offered to post it to me that day by Express Post and asked if I would cover the postage. As it was my mistake I though that was extremely reasonable.
I have 2 criticisms. Firstly the pool was unserviceable but given it was only early spring and the water was probably very cold, it had not yet been prepared for the upcoming summer. Secondly, the motel is on Sydney Road and there is some traffic noise (including trams) which could be annoying to some people but it wasn't excessive.
I will have no hesitation in staying there again and I definitely got excellent value for money!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Coburg Motor Inn? Share your experiences!