“Good food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Aberdeen, Scotland
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We ventured in here after visiting Eureka Skydeck and found the drinks, food and service to be of good quality.

I wasn’t up for a full main course so had the cheese croquets and they were delicious!

• Visited July 2013
Alex H, Manager at Belgian Beer Cafe, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Hi, Thanks for the feedback! We're glad you enjoyed your visit to the Skydeck and the Belgian Beer Cafe recently.

We hope to see you again next time you're in town,

Melbourne
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

A few years ago I was told to stay away from this place as it served terrible food.
Since I work in the area and had heard it has had a change of chef and management I thought I would give it a try.
Wow was I surprised. The service from the moment I walked in was great. Not over the top but very friendly even though it was obviously very busy.
I am a vegetarian and loved the menu as there were quite a lot of options for me to choose from.
The belgium cheese croquettes were just delicious. Hot cheese! what more could you ask for.
The food came out quickly and all the food we ordered came out at the same time so nobody was waiting for their meals which is great since it was obviously a busy Friday night.
I'm so glad I tried this place and can see it becoming a regular spot for all the "locals" in the area.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Alex H, Manager at Belgian Beer Cafe, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Hello,

Thanks for your feedback, it is great to hear you enjoyed your experience with us.

We have made a lot of changes since the new owners took over; we feel that the food, drinks and service are the best they've ever been so it's wonderful to hear our customers agreeing.

We look forward to your next visit!

Melbourne
“Going uphill with new management”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Just went to BBC last Sunday to try the half price mussels and chips and have to say I was very impressed. I had eaten here in the past before it was taken over by the new owners and never really had a great meal and the service was shocking. I could not fault the food or service on my recent trip. The new menu is so much better than the last one and seems much more authentic to a BBC. The drinks are on the pricey side but lots to choose from. I'm not sure if there is a new chef but have to say the food just seems to be of a higher standard. Can't wait to go back next Sunday!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hello,

Thanks for the review, I 'm really pleased that you enjoyed your recent visit. We've undergone some fairly major changes behind the scenes and I'm glad that you had a chance to experience the new Belgian Beer Cafe.

Our chef is indeed new and very experienced. I will pass your complements along.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Rosebud
“Gone down hill with new ownership”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This has been a regular for me for many years. I have loved the Rochfort mussels and the friendly overseas waitresses. What a difference my last two trips have been. Not enough Rochfort in the sauce to be able to discern the difference between warm cream. Very indifferent service too. Not busy but everything was an effort for our local grown waitress! Won't bother going back, Too many other great places to eat with a warm welcome just a few steps away,

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hi Louise,

Thank you for the review, I'm sorry to hear that your latest meal was not up to the standard of previous ones.

Whilst the ownership of the cafe may have changed, many of the chefs and managers including myself have stayed on. Our mussels are normally one of the highlights on the menu, so I apologize that they didn't satisfy on this visit. I have passed your feedback on to our Head Chef so that he can ensure that this does not happen again.

I also apologize on behalf of the waitress who served your group. I am generally proud of the service that our front of house team provides and I feel that this service has gotten even better under our new, proactive ownership. If you would like to contact me directly on alex@belgianbeercafemelbourne.com.au I would be interested to hear some more detailed feedback.

Hopefully you will give us another chance to impress.

darwin
“Good if you like Belgian food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We ended up here on Anzac Day as we were staying at hotel close by and couldn't find anywhere else that we liked. Service was very attentive and the 3 of us had the ?? (Basically a Belgian ham and cheese toasted sandwich) as there wasn't anything else that we found on the menu. Don't get me wrong sandwich was nice. I am sure others would find more on menu to their liking and I'm sure selection of beers is great.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hi,

Thanks for your review! We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your Croque Monsieurs, one of the classic Belgian dishes. We'd love to hear your recommendations on other things you would have enjoyed on the menu- please feel free to email us on alex@belgianbeercafemelbourne.com.au with your recommendations.

Hopefully we will see you next time you are down in Melbourne!