“Once bitten, twice shy!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of City Edge on Elizabeth Apartment Hotel

You added City Edge on Elizabeth Apartment Hotel to your Saves list
City Edge on Elizabeth Apartment Hotel
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   99 A'Beckett Street | Corner Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #46 of 112 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Once bitten, twice shy!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The noise from the nightclub opposite until 3.00am was horrendous, they need to invest in double glazing.
We booked an apartment with cooking facilities so we could eat in if we wanted but no table. Why have cooking facilities in the apartment and not provide a table? The kettle only worked intermittently.

On the positive side the location was fine(noise excepted) for shopping, markets, trams etc.
Wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Indonesian first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

The best thing about these apartments is the price followed by the Korean BBQ available at the Jorean/Japanese restaurant opposite. Also close to Vic market which is great at the weekends. Apartment was quite noisy due to bad glazing but not enough to disturb me.

If you are travelling to Melbourne on a budget then this is a great option.

• Stayed October 2012
Melbourne Central
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

the apartment hotel is opposite a night club so it comes with all the perks of free music in the middle of the night

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

We turned up early than the published check in time to reception and were warmly welcomed by the staff. We were given great directions to the room, which offered much more than we expected for the $89 we paid per night (premium apartment). The apartment was definitely small, but had a nice small balcony that you could open up and get some fresh air from. It had full kitchen facilities including a microwave, gas stove, dishwasher, sink, utensils and crockery.Also had a washing machine/dryer combo and ironing board/iron! We were amazed at the cleanliness and and how modern the room was (great shower heads A+!) + it had reverse cycle air-con/heating.

Perfect location, just a short walk away from la-trobe street (which the free city circle tram line runs along). Also a very short walk to the queen Victoria markets. Couldn't have asked for a much better location. Perfect place to base yourself from for a couple of nights, or even longer.

The only weird thing is that the kitchen is right next to the (very comfortable) bed. Wasn't an issue for me - just a good use of space.

Check out was a breeze as well. Handed over the keys and off we went!

In short , couldn't have asked for more - cheaper/better than a hostel, and great spot. Highly recommended.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The apartment was good for the price you paid, and suitable for us travelling with a one year old. No noise issues for us and our one year old loved the view of the trams. The lady on reception the first couple of days of our stay was very friendly and helpful. Until check out we were happy with our stay. Unfortunately we will now not return or deal with this business again. Their service and follow up assistance was terrible.

The gentleman on reception the morning we checked out was gruff when we checked out. It was busy. We had thirty minutes until our taxi arrived for the airport so at reception's suggestion we left our two bags behind the reception desk. We were given no bag tags and the gentleman dealt with us whilst being on the phone. On our return from our walk we could only find one of our suitcases. The gentleman was not helpful and did not even seem concerned initially. It was only after I became upset, and people waiting in reception helped us look that he acknowledged the issue. My husband checked another taxi that was leaving with a group of people as the receptionist told us someone had come and picked up our bag moments earlier. Another guest waiting to check in informed me she had been there for ten minutes and no one had taken a bag. The receptionist never offered to take my contact details or offer any advice or information. I took a business card off the front desk and wrote my name and details of the suitcase before having to leave to make our flight. As we were leaving I was quite distressed as I did not feel the matter was going to be followed up at all. I rang the CityEdge phone number from the taxi. I was quite upset. They asked if certain things were done eg. our room checked, details taken, luggage area checked. I explained we checked what we could but had to give our details to reception and little effort was made. They said they would call me back before my flight. I was back in regional NSW before I received the returned call advising the bag could not be located. At 6pm that evening we received a phone call from a male saying he had found our luggage in a taxi at Melbourne Airport. This person arranged thankfully for our luggage to be left at Baggage Services. When I called Baggage Services to arrange the return of our bag they said City Edge were following it up, turns out this person had also been staying at CIty Edge and had just come from there. I called the City Edge number and they said they did not know our bag had been found. They could not assist with return of the bag and my only grounds to appeal this was with a manager in two weeks time when they returned from leave. When I did this I got a wordy email basically explaining how wonderful they were but not responsible for my bag and hence not going to help. By help I mean not only financial help but also help in liaising with or advising of local services.

So in short it cost us over $150, numerous phone calls, and more than a day of my own time for our bag to be returned which arrived home five days after us.

The worse thing of the whole ordeal our son's beloved teddy was in the lost bag that I had put in there before leaving reception thinking it was safer there then with him in the pram.

So yes the apartment was cheap but for the added costs associated for us with this trip we would have been better to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: We asked for a one bedroom apartment so we could put our little man to sleep and still enjoy the roo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was my second stay at this property, having stayed there previously about 12months ago. I picked this property again this time because I wanted a 1bdr place with kitchenette facilities, and this suited the bill ideally for price, location and room type.

The hotel would be best described as cheap and cheerful, and that's not a bad thing in this instance. It at the top end of that scale and I'd happily stay there again. The rooms are not huge, but big enough to be comfortable in without falling over yourself, and they are clean. There are scuff marks here and there and it's not perfect, but it is clean and comfortable.

The only major criticism I'd have is that the bed in my room was 2 singles pushed together to make a double (I picked double, not queen, so I'm not complaining about the size of the bed), but there was nothing, other than the sheet, to hold them together. They really need to be zipped together or something to make the bed a lot more comfortable. The other thing that I'd suggest is that I'd prefer a couch rather than 2 chairs in the room, but that's only a personal preference.

Other than those things, great property, and I'll be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

This is an ideal place to stay if you had a family of three to four looking for a service apartment in the central of Melbourne City. The room rate was very good as compared to those 3-4 stars hotel in the city. The location is at the tip of the central city which is very convenience to all the places of attraction. You can easily walk to catch the free tramp to move to the further part of the city. The room is very spacious and clean. There is even a washing/dryer machine in the bathroom. The lounge area which can sleep another adult is spacious to host some friends if need to. I will be back again if I will to visit Melbourne City.

Room Tip: 2 floor or higher
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to City Edge on Elizabeth Apartment Hotel? Share your experiences!