“A cool stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Olsen

Save Saved
You added Art Series - The Olsen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Olsen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   637 - 641 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia (South Yarra)   |
Offers & Announcements
STAY 2 SAVE 20%
Ranked #19 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Newcastle, Australia
“A cool stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

The Olsen had a great mix of art, modern design and location. In the heart of Chapel Street, close to restaurants, and shopping. Staff were knowledgable and very helpful. I loved the branding of the Arts Series, and recommend it for couples and families. The day spa was first class.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

867 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

It stands as testament to this hotel that the longer I was there, the longer I wanted to stay. It's just gorgeous, and very comfortable. We stayed in a studio suite for three nights and just kept discovering reasons to want to come back. From the moment you walk into your room you get the feeling that the hotel is going to be a little bit different, with a doco about the featured artist John Olsen playing on the TV when you walk in. It was kind of nice having him there, we'd switch on the TV every now and then, just to see what he was up to! The word I'd use to describe the hotel is thoughtful and luxurious; the rooms are well laid out, beautifully decorted and well equipped (I'd have easily been comfortable staying here for a week or longer). The toiletries are good quality and the towels are thick and fluffy, you can dock your ipod in the bedside clock,there's plenty of cupboard and storage space in the bathroom and the room service and mini bar are reasonably priced (except for the $75 375mL bottle of French champagne, although it was Melbourne Cup weekend...). Best of all, the bed is to die for. I found the staff genuinely helpful, and sensed that they actually enjoyed what they did, which is rare these days. We had breakfast at the restaurant 'bluebottle' on our last morning and would definitely recommend it...it surpasses any of the Chapel Street eateries in quality, at comparable if not more reasonable prices. My only bugbear is not including the rates for the various services offered (such as broadband and car hire) in the hotel guide provided in each room - it kind of defeats the purpose of providing such comprehensive information, if you still have to make a call to find out, what is usually, the first thing you want to know. However, we'll be back, in fact, I think from now on whenever we visit Melbourne we'll be working our way through all the hotels in the Art Series to find our favourite!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
James_Sharrock, Guest Experience Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, November 13, 2010
Thank you so much for such a fantastic and thorough review! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed Dr Olsen’s work and the video that plays within the rooms. We really believe in his work and are always thrilled to hear people who were as interested and fascinated in the works and the man himself, just as we are! I am also glad to hear you enjoyed the in room facilities, as well as the food and service at Bluebottle restaurant. I apologize that the in room guide for the hotel did not include a price list, I have passed this information and feedback on. I hope you still managed to have the information you needed after speaking to our concierge. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel as soon as possible, hopefully for a much longer stay!
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

I have now stayed at the Olsen three times while in Melbourne for work. the design, artwork, fit out and comfort is great. I work from the room at times so found the room without a lounge chair uncomfortable so they happily moved me. I was allocated a room with a lounge the next visits and it had everything I needed, including looking great! As well all rooms have a hairdryer than does more than blow dust!
As a woman who travels alone for work a lot, the Olsen fits the bill perfectly.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Thank you so much for such a fantastic review. I am so glad to hear that we were able to arrange a more comfortable and convenient room for you that made your stay so much more enjoyable. I am also glad to hear that you have stayed with us so frequently and will continue to do so. We try and cater to every kind of traveller, and I am glad to hear we fit the bill perfectly for you. We look forward to welcoming you again at The Olsen when you are next in Melbourne!
Balmain, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

This hotel is in a fab location with very funky rooms BUT our room was not serviced properly prior to arrival - amenities not replenished, no clean glasses or cups. In addition our room was not serviced until dinnertime on our second day. The excuse? Busy day. My advise? Hire adequate staff numbers. For decor its up with the best but I've had better service at most budget chains.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am very disappointed to hear that your stay with us did not meet the expectations we like to expect from our staff, and be assured I have passed along the information you have provided to our housekeeping staff. We do always try and have enough staff on at a time to service and keep all of our rooms up to the highest standard. I am happy to hear however that you enjoyed the building and the décor and art. I would hope that you are able to come back to the hotel again, and we are able to provide a higher quality of service that can match the beautiful buiding. Please contact myself directly next time you wish to make a reservation, and I would be happy to assist you.
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

Stayed at the Olsen on a Saturday night a few weeks ago. Service was ok, a few bumps to iron out (check-in was a bit abrupt and bar staff in the bluebottle need more training on how to make cocktails). We stayed in a penthouse room which was nicely decorated (as long as you enjoy olsen's works which I do) and had a great view. It as also very clean and the bed was incredibly comfortable. The main problem for me and the reason I won't be staying here again is that the bathroom is basically just a narrow space in the corner of the room separated from the rest of the room by frosted glass. No real space or privacy and certainly not great for a romantic weekend unless you know each other pretty well... I did also notice the noise from the lift. I don't know why boutique hotels so often get the design right but miss out on functionality, maybe that's just fashion for you...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay. I am very glad to hear you enjoyed the décor and art within the hotel. Regarding the bathrooms, I have passed on your concerns for the hotel manager and I am very sorry if the layout of the bathroom affected your stay. We do take all feedback on board and will look at ways to make the bathrooms more private. I am also sorry about any disturbances from the lift. That is something I will pass on to our maintenance team regarding the noise. I do hope everything else was to a higher standard, and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon. If you would like to make any reservations, please feel free to ask for myself.
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

Booked a weekend stay at The Olsen with my 5 year old daughter, and we were met in the lobby by an iconic sculpture of an Olsen frog. My daughter was almost automatically presented with a chocalate frog (I had a bite of the leg, and it tasted delicious). Hotel desk staff were friendly and the adjoining restaurant seemed to be popular with locals (we only took coffee and hot choclate and the Sunday paper there).

Our room was small but packed with amenities and comfort, including a nice array of lighting and furnishings. We didn't need the kitchenette, but it would be used on a return stay with the full 3-child family unit. Small patio allowed for fresh air, but not much of a view (lower level, back side). Twilight swims in the pool enchanted my daughter, as did the underwater windows to the world below.

The room had no writing stationery, and perhaps the addition of Olsen postcards (or those featuring works by other Melbournian artists) would be a good take-away for tourists like us. Also, there's a lot of unexplored partnership and artistic programming that could be done by an "art hotel," to connect guests with other cultural institutions, special arts opportunities, and creative experiences in and around the place. These might develop over time.

The location is good, and we walked about 3 or 4 km exploring Chapel Street. The Cullen had more of a cool boho neighbourhood position, and accompanying vibe (we stumbled upon it at brunch time and took a quick look inside).

Hire of the Smart Car at the Olsen, which took some doing to book/confirm in advance of our stay, was extremely useful and good for solo guests or couples. An indication of the nearest petrol station would be helpful in the car, as we had to scout out a servo to refill the 1/5 of a tank used on our excursion. Actually, an Olsen branded funky art map might be a good item to provdie to guests and car hires.

All in all, we had a wonderful stay in a nice hotel with above average amenities, pleasant staff, and interesting art here, there, everywhere...in one of teh greatest smaller cities on earth. So thank you Art Series and The Olsen!

• Stayed October 2010
Thank you so much for your amazing review. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed all the experiences and amenities that this hotel has to offer, and that we managed to meet and hopefully exceed all your expectations. I am also personally glad to hear that your young daughter enjoyed everything as well, as we like to think of ourselves as a hotel that can also cater to families. I am glad you had nothing but great experiences on the nearby Chapel Street, as well as the restaurant onsite; Bluebottle. I have passed on your feedback regarding stationary and postcards for the room (we definitely would like people to have a little Olsen to take away with them!), as well as your feedback regarding local and close by petrol station. All these things are great for us to know to improve our service and continue to provide excellent customer service and exceed all expectations. We hope to welcome you and your daughter back to The Olsen soon!
Traralgon, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

We stayed here the weekend of the Cox Plate horse race at Moonee Valley.
Being a new hotel we were a little sceptical about the experience, but it was fantastic!
Check in was handled efficiency and in a friendly manner, and car parking was a breeze.
Our room (308) was a beautiful light and airy room, thanks to full length and width glass and a window that angled out, just enough for a breeze, but no too much to do a Michael Jackson with a baby.
The rooms are unique in that they are all decorated with different John Olsen bits of art work, and a solid frosted glass wall separates the room from the bathroom. And finally, a room with a proper exhaust fan in the bathroom which is light an movement activated.
The room also has dining table for two, and cook top and convection/microwave oven.
Although this hotel is located in South Yarra, and not the city, don't let that worry you. The South Yarra Station is a 5 minute walk with a 7 minute train ride to Flinders Street, or 4 minutes to Richmond, for loop transfers. A tram route is straight out front for door to door transport to the CBD and it's attractions. Great location.
The restaurant veers away from the normal "buffet" breakfast and goes with a simple off the menu approach. Our breakfast cost us just over $40 for two. It's non CBD location means that parking is cheaper.
Both Chapel Street and Toorak Road offer plenty of dining options, and of course, Southbank is a 7 minute train ride away.
All in all, a great new approach, and a great new hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
James_Sharrock, Guest Relation Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, November 13, 2010
Thank you so much for such a fantastic review. I am so pleased to hear you had such an enjoyable stay at The Olsen, and that you got to experience to hotel at such an exciting time over Spring Racing Carnival. I am also glad to hear that you managed to experience the bustling Chapel Street and the beautiful South Yarra, and glad you found the transportation in Melbourne so easy to navigate. Reading this review will definitely help future guests with any reservations about the location, so we appreciate the information you were able to provide. We look forward to welcoming you soon again to The Olsen

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!