“Great alternative” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Olsen

Save Saved
You added Art Series - The Olsen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Olsen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   637 - 641 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia (South Yarra)   |
Special Price
Book Direct Save 20%
Ranked #19 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Great alternative”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

A nice modern and funky hotel that's a little different from the rest. Clean and well appointed rooms with the artwork providing that extra attraction. South Yarra location is great for Chapel St shopping, but a bit awkward if you need to go into the city a lot. The only letdown was the lifts which were terribly slow. They're also used by the cleaning staff, so at times the waiting is ridiculous. Other than that, it's a nice hotel with a twist.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
James_Sharrock, Guest Experience Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, August 14, 2010
Thank you from a fantastic review. I am wrapped to hear that you enjoyed your time at our hotel. We are looking at a number of ways to speed of lifts up and limit the use of hotel staff in the near future. We are terribly sorry for the inconvenience that they may have caused. I hope to see you here again soon.

882 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
syd
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

I had booked a 3 day stay, on a special rate, through the Olsen Hotel Website. The day before my arrival I received a courtesy phonecall from hotel staff, confirming my booking and asking if I required a transfer or any restaurant bookings - a lovely touch I thought.

Check in was smooth and the staff friendly and pleasant, making sure to note that I had been allocated a high floor with a view, as I had requested. The room was a good size with contemporary furniture and art, art, books and a lovely view. The bed was very comfortable.

I hired a smart car for a few hours on my 2nd day, which was easy to organise and reasonable at only $15 per hour. There is not much need for a car in this location as you are walking distance to all the shops and restaurants of Chapel Street and Toorak Road (and an easy tram journey into the city), so it is perfect to have the option of hiring by the hour for the few things you may need to do outside the area.

Unfortunately I had some bad news and needed to check out a night earlier than planned, and the hotel were exceptionally understanding of my circumstances and did not financially penalise me for breaching the 3 night deal. I was most appreciative.

There were a few small issues - the bathroom fan is on a sensor so if you go the the kitchen in the middle of the night t get a glass of water, it will set the loud bathroom fan off. Also the air conditioning rattles consistently so this needs to be turned off while sleeping.

But that said - the Olsen is a contemporary and stylish hotel with friendly staff in a wonderful location.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
James_Sharrock, Guest Experience Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, July 31, 2010
Thank you for you excellent review. I am sorry to hear that your trip was cut short with bad news. It is great to hear that you were able to make full use of the smart cars and if you are interested in possibility purchasing one of the beds, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. Our engineering team is currently investigating the exhaust fans in the bathrooms throughout the hotel and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

In my last 7 trips to Melbourne I have stayed in 10 hotels. My next 10 trips to Melbourne I will be staying in only one, the Olsen.

I moved to this hotel after spending 2 freezing nights in another so-called "boutique" hotel in South Yarra. I have been looking for a hotel in the South Yarra area for a while that mixes comfort, style and service together with good prices and good food. Just when I had almost given up hope I discovered the Olsen.

At check in I was informed that as this was my first stay in the hotel I was being upgraded to a balcony suite. This really set the tone for a stay that was punctuated by warm friendly service and professionalism.

The room was beautiful and stylish, not particularly large, but comfortable and well furnished. The bed was apparently a special "olsen series" bed and was quite comfortable.

Parking garage was relatively easy to get in and out of but would probably fill up quick in busy times, the leftover spots then will be those really hard to get into corner spots.

The staff were friendly, polite and despite this being a pretty classy hotel in a classy area (I spotted more then a few celebrities over the 3 day stay) the staff were never snobby or patronising.

If you need to stay in South Yarra this hotel should be at the top of the list of choices.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Thanks for a great review and I am delighted that you had a great stay with us. I am pleased to read your comments regarding the staff and the design of the hotel. You really have summed up what our intentions were from prior to opening the hotel. We look forward to having you visit again soon.
Byron Bay, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

Our 3 day stay turned into an unexpected 5 day stay on experiencing The Olsen.
My partner and I decided that we could put off our return to our warm city of Brisbane, as we found the Olsen and its staff so warm and inviting!
We love Melbourne, but the cold we are not fan's of, so this time of year is never pleasant! The Olsen's rooms were comfortable and warm, decorated with John Olsen's works.
We stayed in the Spa room on the first floor, so no views or sky lights to be seen beyond the wall... (I would have enjoyed a little view)... we did venture into the spa one evening (very private) and almost caught pneumonia... our own silly fault! Retreating to the cosy lounge in front of the fireplace in our robes.
Everything flowed on this trip, maybe it was our good luck, but we couldn't complain about anything... Fresh linen, towels and bath products each day. Helpful and friendly concierge and staff.
The restaurant, convenient for breakfast as most of our lunches and dinners were out and about! The food however on the times we dined were delicious, although I found the servings too large for me!
Coffee was great... better than most in Melb's - and I went EVERYWHERE!
The hotel has day rental's on their Smart Cars which was a wonderful way for me to travel all over Melbourne whilst my partner attended business meetings... the staff arranged to have this ready for me and it was just as they had said! There are also bikes for the more 'adventurous' traveller...
We were sad to leave, it was a little home away from home!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
James_Sharrock, Guest Expience Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, July 31, 2010
Thank you for a wonderful review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your 5 night stay in our Spa Suite. It is unfortunate that the room doesn’t have a view, but it is definitely one of the best rooms in the hotel with the features that you have described in your review creating a very warm environment for those cold winters’ nights. We hope to see you at the hotel again soon.
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

Bit too small a room, and the the dishwasher didn't work. Not really a 5 star hotel, . Location is good though.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Thank you for you review and I am terribly sorry to hear of your concerns regarding the dishwasher and room size. We have a number of different room styles throughout the hotel and I would be happy to help you select one that might be more suited on your next visit. Please feel free to contact myself at the hotel if I can assist with any further information regarding you last stay and I hope that our team will be able to enhance your next experience with us.
Montreal,Qc,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

After a three month stay I would go back in a flash
Fantastic and very friendly staff,A restaurant (Bleu Bottle) with excellent food and service
A close location to shopping and dinning (Chapel Street)
A walking distance from downtown Melbourne (15 Minutes) and a 5 Minutes walk to the Royal Botanical Garden

An over-hall Very enjoyable stay

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
James_Sharrock, Guest Experience Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, July 4, 2010
Thank you for a terrific review. It is great to see a review from a resident guest of the hotel. We thrive on making the hotel as comfortable as possible for our long stay guests and we hope you have us in mind for your next visit to Melbourne.
Kiama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

Just want to say thanks for our stay. We really enjoyed it, the rooms and hotel design are fantastic, we used the gym and pool every day, the service was good and friendly, and even though we only had afternoon tea once in the restaurant we were happy with our experience there too. We’re looking forward to our next stay! Can only give a 5 star recommendation!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for the great feedback Mr. Boyski and it was a pleasure having you stay with us that the Olsen. I am glad to hear that you enjoy the service at Blue Bottle. The Restaurant is coming along very nicely and has been receiving some glowing reviews. Looking forward to your next visit.

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!