“This is what a boutique hotel is supposed to be like” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Olsen

You added Art Series - The Olsen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Olsen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   637 - 641 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia (South Yarra)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Direct Save 20%
Ranked #18 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney
“This is what a boutique hotel is supposed to be like”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

In my last 7 trips to Melbourne I have stayed in 10 hotels. My next 10 trips to Melbourne I will be staying in only one, the Olsen.

I moved to this hotel after spending 2 freezing nights in another so-called "boutique" hotel in South Yarra. I have been looking for a hotel in the South Yarra area for a while that mixes comfort, style and service together with good prices and good food. Just when I had almost given up hope I discovered the Olsen.

At check in I was informed that as this was my first stay in the hotel I was being upgraded to a balcony suite. This really set the tone for a stay that was punctuated by warm friendly service and professionalism.

The room was beautiful and stylish, not particularly large, but comfortable and well furnished. The bed was apparently a special "olsen series" bed and was quite comfortable.

Parking garage was relatively easy to get in and out of but would probably fill up quick in busy times, the leftover spots then will be those really hard to get into corner spots.

The staff were friendly, polite and despite this being a pretty classy hotel in a classy area (I spotted more then a few celebrities over the 3 day stay) the staff were never snobby or patronising.

If you need to stay in South Yarra this hotel should be at the top of the list of choices.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
James_Sharrock, Guest Experience Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, July 31, 2010
Thanks for a great review and I am delighted that you had a great stay with us. I am pleased to read your comments regarding the staff and the design of the hotel. You really have summed up what our intentions were from prior to opening the hotel. We look forward to having you visit again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Greek first
Byron Bay, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

Our 3 day stay turned into an unexpected 5 day stay on experiencing The Olsen.
My partner and I decided that we could put off our return to our warm city of Brisbane, as we found the Olsen and its staff so warm and inviting!
We love Melbourne, but the cold we are not fan's of, so this time of year is never pleasant! The Olsen's rooms were comfortable and warm, decorated with John Olsen's works.
We stayed in the Spa room on the first floor, so no views or sky lights to be seen beyond the wall... (I would have enjoyed a little view)... we did venture into the spa one evening (very private) and almost caught pneumonia... our own silly fault! Retreating to the cosy lounge in front of the fireplace in our robes.
Everything flowed on this trip, maybe it was our good luck, but we couldn't complain about anything... Fresh linen, towels and bath products each day. Helpful and friendly concierge and staff.
The restaurant, convenient for breakfast as most of our lunches and dinners were out and about! The food however on the times we dined were delicious, although I found the servings too large for me!
Coffee was great... better than most in Melb's - and I went EVERYWHERE!
The hotel has day rental's on their Smart Cars which was a wonderful way for me to travel all over Melbourne whilst my partner attended business meetings... the staff arranged to have this ready for me and it was just as they had said! There are also bikes for the more 'adventurous' traveller...
We were sad to leave, it was a little home away from home!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
James_Sharrock, Guest Expience Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, July 31, 2010
Thank you for a wonderful review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your 5 night stay in our Spa Suite. It is unfortunate that the room doesn’t have a view, but it is definitely one of the best rooms in the hotel with the features that you have described in your review creating a very warm environment for those cold winters’ nights. We hope to see you at the hotel again soon.
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

Bit too small a room, and the the dishwasher didn't work. Not really a 5 star hotel, . Location is good though.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Thank you for you review and I am terribly sorry to hear of your concerns regarding the dishwasher and room size. We have a number of different room styles throughout the hotel and I would be happy to help you select one that might be more suited on your next visit. Please feel free to contact myself at the hotel if I can assist with any further information regarding you last stay and I hope that our team will be able to enhance your next experience with us.
Montreal,Qc,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

After a three month stay I would go back in a flash
Fantastic and very friendly staff,A restaurant (Bleu Bottle) with excellent food and service
A close location to shopping and dinning (Chapel Street)
A walking distance from downtown Melbourne (15 Minutes) and a 5 Minutes walk to the Royal Botanical Garden

An over-hall Very enjoyable stay

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
James_Sharrock, Guest Experience Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, July 4, 2010
Thank you for a terrific review. It is great to see a review from a resident guest of the hotel. We thrive on making the hotel as comfortable as possible for our long stay guests and we hope you have us in mind for your next visit to Melbourne.
Kiama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

Just want to say thanks for our stay. We really enjoyed it, the rooms and hotel design are fantastic, we used the gym and pool every day, the service was good and friendly, and even though we only had afternoon tea once in the restaurant we were happy with our experience there too. We’re looking forward to our next stay! Can only give a 5 star recommendation!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for the great feedback Mr. Boyski and it was a pleasure having you stay with us that the Olsen. I am glad to hear that you enjoy the service at Blue Bottle. The Restaurant is coming along very nicely and has been receiving some glowing reviews. Looking forward to your next visit.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

The Art Series group is a must when in Melbourne!

I was at the Olsen Hotel on Sat and it truly has a strong balance of everything a hotel should have - Comfort, Design with no attitude.

I arrived Saturday morning, with my favourite jacket Iost the night before in Sydney and the concierge called up all the bars i visited to try and track it down.....They were VERY helpful!

The bed is amazing and you are guaranteed the best nights sleep, I could have spent an extra day just relaxing in bed!

The central location will ensure you can have very fulfilling days, without traveling more than 15 min in cab (Unless going to the airport....I also recommend you check twice which Airport you're departing from. I turned up to wrong one).

My favourite aspect however, is the art and education you receive on some of the great Australian artist. The art Series is a MUST for anyone who appreciated GREAT design!

Phillip Merillo

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
James_Sharrock, Guest Experience Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
Dear Mr. Merillo,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such an amazing review. I am wrapped the concierge team were able to track down your jacket in Sydney. It is great to hear that you appreciated the Art works through out the building and please feel free to contact me during your next visit to arrange a guided tour with our in house curator to get an in-depth overview of the Olsen Originals throughout the hotel. We Hope to see you here again soon.
Noosa, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Having travelled the majority of this planet on business and experienced what 5* should be I was a little worried at staying at an unknown 'boutique hotel ' in South Yarra. My worries were soon put aside after we checked in (the only time I could fault the service having been met with a rather highly strung front desk person)and walked into our two bedroomed balcony room. The decor was great ,modern, ultra clean with fantastic floor to ceiling windows all around the room giving a bright feel and of course a great view of the City and also the sea.The rooms were a very good size and afforded my lively 20 month old boy ..loads of room to run about on the lovely new carpets. The suite came equiped with a very well equiped mini kitchen and a dinning setting which we used every night for the child. We took advantage of room service which was very good.
The service was fantastic and we were made to feel very special by all, in particular by James the concierge who is a credit to his proffesion and his hotel.
Location is great as two min walk to South Yarra stn and right on the doorstep of all the trendy coffee shops and eateries.
Try this place its good .....

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to complete this review during your last stay with us at The Olsen Hotel and thank you for your positive feedback. I was very happy to learn that you had an excellent stay with us and I am wrapped to here that our concierge/ Guest Experience team were able to make supply you with fantastic service and I will pass you comments onto them at our next staff meeting.

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!