“Cosy and warm , a treat and retreat from the busy and cold Melbourne streets!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Olsen

Save Saved
You added Art Series - The Olsen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Olsen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   637 - 641 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia (South Yarra)   |
Offers & Announcements
STAY 2 SAVE 20%
Ranked #19 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Byron Bay, Australia
“Cosy and warm , a treat and retreat from the busy and cold Melbourne streets!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

Our 3 day stay turned into an unexpected 5 day stay on experiencing The Olsen.
My partner and I decided that we could put off our return to our warm city of Brisbane, as we found the Olsen and its staff so warm and inviting!
We love Melbourne, but the cold we are not fan's of, so this time of year is never pleasant! The Olsen's rooms were comfortable and warm, decorated with John Olsen's works.
We stayed in the Spa room on the first floor, so no views or sky lights to be seen beyond the wall... (I would have enjoyed a little view)... we did venture into the spa one evening (very private) and almost caught pneumonia... our own silly fault! Retreating to the cosy lounge in front of the fireplace in our robes.
Everything flowed on this trip, maybe it was our good luck, but we couldn't complain about anything... Fresh linen, towels and bath products each day. Helpful and friendly concierge and staff.
The restaurant, convenient for breakfast as most of our lunches and dinners were out and about! The food however on the times we dined were delicious, although I found the servings too large for me!
Coffee was great... better than most in Melb's - and I went EVERYWHERE!
The hotel has day rental's on their Smart Cars which was a wonderful way for me to travel all over Melbourne whilst my partner attended business meetings... the staff arranged to have this ready for me and it was just as they had said! There are also bikes for the more 'adventurous' traveller...
We were sad to leave, it was a little home away from home!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
James_Sharrock, Guest Expience Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, July 31, 2010
Thank you for a wonderful review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your 5 night stay in our Spa Suite. It is unfortunate that the room doesn’t have a view, but it is definitely one of the best rooms in the hotel with the features that you have described in your review creating a very warm environment for those cold winters’ nights. We hope to see you at the hotel again soon.

865 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

Bit too small a room, and the the dishwasher didn't work. Not really a 5 star hotel, . Location is good though.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
James_Sharrock, Guest Experience Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, July 31, 2010
Thank you for you review and I am terribly sorry to hear of your concerns regarding the dishwasher and room size. We have a number of different room styles throughout the hotel and I would be happy to help you select one that might be more suited on your next visit. Please feel free to contact myself at the hotel if I can assist with any further information regarding you last stay and I hope that our team will be able to enhance your next experience with us.
Montreal,Qc,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

After a three month stay I would go back in a flash
Fantastic and very friendly staff,A restaurant (Bleu Bottle) with excellent food and service
A close location to shopping and dinning (Chapel Street)
A walking distance from downtown Melbourne (15 Minutes) and a 5 Minutes walk to the Royal Botanical Garden

An over-hall Very enjoyable stay

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
James_Sharrock, Guest Experience Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, July 4, 2010
Thank you for a terrific review. It is great to see a review from a resident guest of the hotel. We thrive on making the hotel as comfortable as possible for our long stay guests and we hope you have us in mind for your next visit to Melbourne.
Kiama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

Just want to say thanks for our stay. We really enjoyed it, the rooms and hotel design are fantastic, we used the gym and pool every day, the service was good and friendly, and even though we only had afternoon tea once in the restaurant we were happy with our experience there too. We’re looking forward to our next stay! Can only give a 5 star recommendation!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for the great feedback Mr. Boyski and it was a pleasure having you stay with us that the Olsen. I am glad to hear that you enjoy the service at Blue Bottle. The Restaurant is coming along very nicely and has been receiving some glowing reviews. Looking forward to your next visit.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

The Art Series group is a must when in Melbourne!

I was at the Olsen Hotel on Sat and it truly has a strong balance of everything a hotel should have - Comfort, Design with no attitude.

I arrived Saturday morning, with my favourite jacket Iost the night before in Sydney and the concierge called up all the bars i visited to try and track it down.....They were VERY helpful!

The bed is amazing and you are guaranteed the best nights sleep, I could have spent an extra day just relaxing in bed!

The central location will ensure you can have very fulfilling days, without traveling more than 15 min in cab (Unless going to the airport....I also recommend you check twice which Airport you're departing from. I turned up to wrong one).

My favourite aspect however, is the art and education you receive on some of the great Australian artist. The art Series is a MUST for anyone who appreciated GREAT design!

Phillip Merillo

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
James_Sharrock, Guest Experience Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
Dear Mr. Merillo,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such an amazing review. I am wrapped the concierge team were able to track down your jacket in Sydney. It is great to hear that you appreciated the Art works through out the building and please feel free to contact me during your next visit to arrange a guided tour with our in house curator to get an in-depth overview of the Olsen Originals throughout the hotel. We Hope to see you here again soon.
Noosa, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Having travelled the majority of this planet on business and experienced what 5* should be I was a little worried at staying at an unknown 'boutique hotel ' in South Yarra. My worries were soon put aside after we checked in (the only time I could fault the service having been met with a rather highly strung front desk person)and walked into our two bedroomed balcony room. The decor was great ,modern, ultra clean with fantastic floor to ceiling windows all around the room giving a bright feel and of course a great view of the City and also the sea.The rooms were a very good size and afforded my lively 20 month old boy ..loads of room to run about on the lovely new carpets. The suite came equiped with a very well equiped mini kitchen and a dinning setting which we used every night for the child. We took advantage of room service which was very good.
The service was fantastic and we were made to feel very special by all, in particular by James the concierge who is a credit to his proffesion and his hotel.
Location is great as two min walk to South Yarra stn and right on the doorstep of all the trendy coffee shops and eateries.
Try this place its good .....

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to complete this review during your last stay with us at The Olsen Hotel and thank you for your positive feedback. I was very happy to learn that you had an excellent stay with us and I am wrapped to here that our concierge/ Guest Experience team were able to make supply you with fantastic service and I will pass you comments onto them at our next staff meeting.
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

We stayed in a Deluxe Studio for our first wedding anniversary and absolutely loved it. My wife and I are both architects and always on the look out for somewhere contemporary to stay. Sometimes contemporary = soul-less - but not in this instance. From the pick up at the airport, to the lovely John Olsen card in our room signed by some of the staff wishing us a great stay on our first wedding anniversary, to the bottle of champagne delivered just after we arrived - we couldn't speak highly enough about the Olsen. Yes it is very new (we think we were the first to use the kettle in our room) and going through a few 'teething' problems - but nothing that would be insurmountable (and certainly nothing that 'ruined' our stay).

But of course - what would a worthwhile TripAdvisor report be without some 'likes and dislikes'. We loved the room itself - very good size, comfy bed (more about the pillows later), the 'glass box' bathroom was private enough (and the automatic occupant sensor in the ceiling to turn on the exhaust fan is a very good idea). The art books were good, as was the TV on a pivoting mount and the full size fridge. The art through the hotel was great to see - and the 'theatre' played out by some of the 'quirks' of the hotel's design was entertaining (the sensor lights that light up the lift lobby when the lift doors open).

Being Architect's we can of course get a little picky - the main lightswitch for the bathroom wasn't in the bathroom (or even next to the bathroom) but over in the kitchen opposite - but that was the biggest room gripe. The bed's pillows were way too soft for our liking (we prefer something 'rock hard') - but the hotel managed to russle up one firmer one for us (and remembered us when we asked the next night too - but didn't have any more). I'm going to be really picky here and suggest that perhaps the hotel look into the 'warm white' energy efficient bulbs in the bedside lights - rather than the 'cool white' ones - the lighting through the room didn't quite match - and just took the edge off the wonderful fitout. (although the strip of LED's in the shower alcove were pretty cool).

There would be one other thing that the hotel could improve on - but it's not for this forum (I'll let them know separately).

We had a great three nights - and would absolutely recommend Caffe e Cucina (about 200m 'up' Chapel Street (away from the river) for the best service and a bowl of pasta (baked in a bag) that I'll never forget. The Royal Saxon hotel (about a 10 minute walk across the river) in Church Street had a great atmosphere and good pizzas. We'd also recommend stopping at the Imperial in Chapel Street to rest your weary feet by the fire with some tapas and a glass of wine, and the China Tea House for excellent MSG free yum cha.

We would absolutely recommend the Olsen to anyone and everyone - we don't know if next time we'll stay at the sister hotels the Cullen (at the other end of Chapel Street) or the Blackman (when it opens).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such an amazing review. Our hotel strives to reach a 6-star energy efficient rating which our architects had a fun time installing a number of energy saving devices throughout the hotel including the sensor lights in the corridors and energy efficient light blubs in the bed side lamps. Your comments are very valuable in helping us create a perfect balance between design and energy efficiency. It is great to hear that you tried a few of the local hidden culinary gems. I agree that Caffe e Cucina’s and the Royal Saxon are up there with the best in the area. I am looking forward to welcoming you to the Oslen again soon and I hope you enjoy your stays with our other properties as well.