“Great Service,Great Room,Great Location.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Olsen

You added Art Series - The Olsen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Olsen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   637 - 641 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia (South Yarra)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Direct Save 20%
Ranked #17 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Noosa, Australia
“Great Service,Great Room,Great Location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Having travelled the majority of this planet on business and experienced what 5* should be I was a little worried at staying at an unknown 'boutique hotel ' in South Yarra. My worries were soon put aside after we checked in (the only time I could fault the service having been met with a rather highly strung front desk person)and walked into our two bedroomed balcony room. The decor was great ,modern, ultra clean with fantastic floor to ceiling windows all around the room giving a bright feel and of course a great view of the City and also the sea.The rooms were a very good size and afforded my lively 20 month old boy ..loads of room to run about on the lovely new carpets. The suite came equiped with a very well equiped mini kitchen and a dinning setting which we used every night for the child. We took advantage of room service which was very good.
The service was fantastic and we were made to feel very special by all, in particular by James the concierge who is a credit to his proffesion and his hotel.
Location is great as two min walk to South Yarra stn and right on the doorstep of all the trendy coffee shops and eateries.
Try this place its good .....

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
James_Sharrock, Guest Experience Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to complete this review during your last stay with us at The Olsen Hotel and thank you for your positive feedback. I was very happy to learn that you had an excellent stay with us and I am wrapped to here that our concierge/ Guest Experience team were able to make supply you with fantastic service and I will pass you comments onto them at our next staff meeting.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Greek first
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

We stayed in a Deluxe Studio for our first wedding anniversary and absolutely loved it. My wife and I are both architects and always on the look out for somewhere contemporary to stay. Sometimes contemporary = soul-less - but not in this instance. From the pick up at the airport, to the lovely John Olsen card in our room signed by some of the staff wishing us a great stay on our first wedding anniversary, to the bottle of champagne delivered just after we arrived - we couldn't speak highly enough about the Olsen. Yes it is very new (we think we were the first to use the kettle in our room) and going through a few 'teething' problems - but nothing that would be insurmountable (and certainly nothing that 'ruined' our stay).

But of course - what would a worthwhile TripAdvisor report be without some 'likes and dislikes'. We loved the room itself - very good size, comfy bed (more about the pillows later), the 'glass box' bathroom was private enough (and the automatic occupant sensor in the ceiling to turn on the exhaust fan is a very good idea). The art books were good, as was the TV on a pivoting mount and the full size fridge. The art through the hotel was great to see - and the 'theatre' played out by some of the 'quirks' of the hotel's design was entertaining (the sensor lights that light up the lift lobby when the lift doors open).

Being Architect's we can of course get a little picky - the main lightswitch for the bathroom wasn't in the bathroom (or even next to the bathroom) but over in the kitchen opposite - but that was the biggest room gripe. The bed's pillows were way too soft for our liking (we prefer something 'rock hard') - but the hotel managed to russle up one firmer one for us (and remembered us when we asked the next night too - but didn't have any more). I'm going to be really picky here and suggest that perhaps the hotel look into the 'warm white' energy efficient bulbs in the bedside lights - rather than the 'cool white' ones - the lighting through the room didn't quite match - and just took the edge off the wonderful fitout. (although the strip of LED's in the shower alcove were pretty cool).

There would be one other thing that the hotel could improve on - but it's not for this forum (I'll let them know separately).

We had a great three nights - and would absolutely recommend Caffe e Cucina (about 200m 'up' Chapel Street (away from the river) for the best service and a bowl of pasta (baked in a bag) that I'll never forget. The Royal Saxon hotel (about a 10 minute walk across the river) in Church Street had a great atmosphere and good pizzas. We'd also recommend stopping at the Imperial in Chapel Street to rest your weary feet by the fire with some tapas and a glass of wine, and the China Tea House for excellent MSG free yum cha.

We would absolutely recommend the Olsen to anyone and everyone - we don't know if next time we'll stay at the sister hotels the Cullen (at the other end of Chapel Street) or the Blackman (when it opens).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such an amazing review. Our hotel strives to reach a 6-star energy efficient rating which our architects had a fun time installing a number of energy saving devices throughout the hotel including the sensor lights in the corridors and energy efficient light blubs in the bed side lamps. Your comments are very valuable in helping us create a perfect balance between design and energy efficiency. It is great to hear that you tried a few of the local hidden culinary gems. I agree that Caffe e Cucina’s and the Royal Saxon are up there with the best in the area. I am looking forward to welcoming you to the Oslen again soon and I hope you enjoy your stays with our other properties as well.
Melbourne Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

I stayed at the Olsen Hotel in South Yarra over the long weekend. It is very conveniently located on Chapel Street just across the road from Hotel Como. It is just a few minutes walk from the Jam Factory, a load of nice restaurants and some of the best clothes shopping in Melbourne.
The hotel appears to be quite new. I really liked the rooms and actually wished I'd had the time to extend my stay there. My room was on level 1 and had a large terrace with a 5 person hot jacuzzi bubbling away on it. Nice! Pity it is the middle of winter otherwise I would have spent a bit of time in it.
The beds are impressively very large and soft. I had the best sleep. I actually slept in (which I never do) and had to be woken by the guy delivering my breakfast.
Each room has a small kitchen with microwave, kettle and toaster and some cooking/eating utensils. There is a large flat screen TV that can be pulled out for the wall with 20 TV channels.
The bathroom is pretty cool with LED lighting and enclosed in a huge glass box covered with John Olsen's artwork. The rooms really are very cool! And in the hallways funky music is playing away... you would swear you were in a hotel down in South Beach Miami.
The hotel has a small but very function gym. Mostly cardio equipment (see photos) and a great lap pool with a glass bottom for a view over the reception area down below.
There is one thing I should point out about this hotel.... there are many ideas introduced in this hotel that I have not seen before. It is a part of the Art Series hotels group. They leave lots of art books in each room, the walls are covered with really beautiful art work. Also, in the foyer you can hire one of the little smart cars (I heard they are just $10 an hour) or borrow a push bike.
I actually love this little hotel and will most likely visit again sometime. I heard the hotel restaurant is very nice too but didn't actually get a chance to try it out.
I have included photos of two rooms here. My friend stayed in a larger room on the 8th floor. It's well worth spending a little extra for a larger room. And a tip... for best light choose a north facing high level room.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for a great review and taking the time to upload some amazing photos of your stay at the Olsen, they look terrific. The hotel has defiantly taken the extra steps in creating a unique experience for our guests through quirky extras such as the Vintage bikes and smart cars. I am glad to hear that you had a chance to go through the art books in the room and made the most of your Jacuzzi. The Spa suites are my favourite rooms and I look forward to seeing you at the Olsen again soon.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

I recently took a long weekend in Melbourne to catch up with some old friends, and being without my husband wanted to be somewhere in the thick of it.

The Olsen is certainly that! Placed at the top of one of Melbourne's fabulous bar/restaurant and shopping strips, Chapel St, everything I could possibly want was right at my fingertips.

The staff were very helpful and friendly and made me feel particularly welcome. The little touches in the hotel are also very well done - as you gaze in wonder at the beautiful artwork on the wall when you first arrive in the room, you notice that someone has kindly opened an artbook to the very page that talks about that piece of art by John Olsen. The swing tag on the door was creative and amusing and the guide to the hotel also gave you great ideas of what to do around Melbourne and was very personal and engaging.

All in all, alot of thought in its designand setup, and in how the staff look after you. Well done!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
James_Sharrock, Guest Experience Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, June 14, 2010
Thanks for the terrific feedback. Our creative team has developed some great little touches to the hotel and it is great to hear that they are getting noticed. I will gladly pass these comments onto them. We look forward to having you back at the hotel again soon.
NZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

We took a punt on staying here as usually stick to one of the mainstream internationals in the CBD but both The Olsen and its sibling The Cullen looked very interesting. The arrival welcome was casual but fantastic w. valet service, check in etc. I had booked a 'deluxe studio suite' online (which shows a spacious room w. a sofa and large bed) and had asked for a view so we were intially extremely disappointed we were given a tiny room (811) w. a double bed, no sofa (and no where for any luggage) - yes it had a view of the CBD skyline and a small balcony but also of a construction site in the foreground etc. We asked to change rooms and were given the room we'd actually booked I think (1005) with a fantastic view right down Chapel St - the room was spacious and gorgeous w. a very comfortable bed. Bathrooms are small-ish but a fantastic shower. We ate in the room and the restaurant - both excellent and service very good. You can tell this is a new place as there are a few amateur service mistakes going on w. a generally very young staff (like delivering room service without any cutlery, and the room cutlery and glasses were missing also, and no salt/pepper, breakfast croissants being delivered cold, no jam) but in general the staff are really enthusiastic and helpful. The art is to DIE FOR - what a wonderful treat to have a room with two large prints of Olsen's stunning work, a stack of books relating to his and other Australian artisits work etc. The art is all over the hotel and just separates this place from the pack. The only disappointment in the end... the Steer isn't open yet - oh well, we'll just have to return!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you back at the hotel again soon. The Steer Restaurant is set to open its doors in early July and we are all looking to tasting their South American menu. Your positive comments will be shared with the team at the next staff meeting.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

As a business and leisure hotel traveller throughout the world, l always stay at 5* properties. So my experience in evaluating properties stems from 20 years of such travelling, many of my reviews are here on Tripadvisor.
We decided to stay at The Olsen based on reviews and also the location.
Good Points:
>Rooms are amazing, modern, clean and have the best views of city from the balcony. >Beds are so comfortable and l can honestly say one cannot fault the rooms.The artwork in the hotel also amazing.
Negative points:
>On arrival no one is at entrance to greet you and take luggage or park the car for you, had to go to reception desk after unloading car ourselves.
>Reception desk staff didnt greet us, instead asked "Are you checking in"
>Breakfast Saturday morning in hotel restaurant, at 9.30am when ordering told they were out of Orange Juice and White Toast, took 20 minutes to get a waiter to take our order when we were seated. Meals arrived 30 minutes later. Dissapointing that they were out of main breakfast items early in morning. Manager was sitting talking to mates at the bar, my suggestion to the manager go to supermarket and get items to serve your guests before sitting around with mates.Guests come first.
Tried the same resturant for dinner with 3 friends, all of us found meals were tasteless, extremely boring, and overpriced.
>Room had no information booklet advising room service, internet costs,hotel services in general, etc
So all in all, the rooms are exceptional and 5*, but the service and the restaurant are no more than 3.5*. I will not return until l hear that service levels have drastically improved.
I will be returning next week to The Westin Melbourne.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Firstly, let me apologise for the service that you received during check in and at our restaurant. This is by no means the expectation or standard set by the hotel. Please be assured that this has been raised and addressed with the team. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the rooms and I look forward to enhancing your experience on your next visit.
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

My girlfriend and I spent one night at The Olsen Hotel, Chapel Street, South Yarra, Melbourne and would recommend this hotel to everyone.

The location is perfect - close to all the bars, cafes, restaurants and shops that Chapel Street has to offer along with close proximity to public transport.

The hotel staff were extremely helpful and the art enthusiasts among you will love the art that dons most walls throughout the hotel.

I will definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great feedback. It is always a pleasure having art enthusiasts through the hotel even if it is just to view our collection of the first level. Our whole team has extensive knowledge of the pieces throughout the hotel through monthly Training with our in-house curator, Jane O'neil, and we would love to take you on a guided tour of the pieces throughout the hotel on your next visit.

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!