“So much fun and great staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Olsen

You added Art Series - The Olsen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Olsen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   637 - 641 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia (South Yarra)   |
Special Price
Book Direct Save 20%
Ranked #19 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Hobart, Australia
“So much fun and great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

What a refreshing change from the standard hotel room - really enjoyed the artwork, art books and fun furnishings. The bathroom toiletries and room snack basket were well thought out too e.g. a painting set in the snack basket and vitamins. Lovely comfy bed and pillows. Reception staff very friendly. Was a bit bemused that the room service menu only operated after 10.30 pm - how hard is it to make (pretty standard) toasted sandwiches (as it turned out it took more than 30 minutes!). I should add, room service offers a restaurant menu before 10.30 pm. I am unsure what the ?trolley or ?tram noise was from around 5 am but it was evident from the second floor otherwise it was a good quiet location. This hotel offers a little different experience and I would still recommend it highly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear MML651,

I am very happy to hear that you really admired the little touches that we add to our hotel suites.

Art Series Hotels manufactures its bedding - so you can take the comfort home with you! Our beds, pillows and linen are all available for sale.

Thank you for your kind words from your recent stay with us!

Rowena

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Let me preface this review by mentioning I was staying at The Olsen for two nights, one with girlfriends the night before my wedding and one the night of the wedding with my new husband. This was mentioned to the hotel at the time of booking.

It wasn't off to a good start when I checked in and was told I was only booked for one night, meaning I had no booking for my wedding night. Clearly an error but the employee seemed unsure what to do because he kept telling me the system only showed one night. Only when management was called over did they point out he was reading the screen incorrectly and I was infact booked for two nights. Not exactly what a bride needs to hear the day before her wedding.

Exactly as others have mentioned, the lifts are terrible! I cannot believe a relatively new hotel with so many levels only has three lifts to accomodate everyone. You wouldn't want to be in a hurry to get anywhere because the wait for a lift was extraordinary. And when one finally arrives, you'd be lucky if it wasn't already jam packed. And forget about wanting to go any further down than the lobby. Trying to get down to the car park added an additional length of time onto your wait. On top of that, at one point after waiting for so long, my husband and I decided to take the stairs down to our car, carrying our suitcases which we figured would take less time than waiting for the lift. The stairs infact only go as far down as the lobby and not all the way to the car park. Not sure what you do in the case of a fire because if you're in the car park, there's no stairs to get you back up!

As my girlfriends and I settled in on the afternoon we arrived, celebrating my imending wedding, we contacted guest services a number of times to bring up additional glasses, crockery and cutlery. Despite being told "we will be right there", it was either a ridiculously long wait or they just never showed up. Even with phone calls back to re-request items, they still never showed. The same occured the next morning, multiple calls back to guest services to recieve assistance.

The most disappointing thing of all is that there was no "going the extra mile" for their guests. The hotel was advised at the time I booked that I was staying for my wedding. Not even when walking back through the foyer after our wedding, in my gown and my husband in his suit, did anyone congratulate us. I would have thought that a hotel of this kind would at the very least leave a small note of congratulations or a token gift to greet us when we returned that night to our room to really make us feel special on the biggest day of our lives. I wasn't even congratulated and nothing said to me the next morning when I checked out. It might seem petty to others but to me this kind of "customer-orientated" service doesn't take much and can mean the difference between someone walking away a little chuffed and happy or disappointed.

There's no denying the hotel is very clean, stylish and modern but I feel they are more about style and status than meeitng their guest needs and going over above on the smaller details to make someones stay just that little bit special and memorable.

I'm sad to say that I wouldn't reccommend this hotel in a hurry to others looking to stay for a similar reason.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I have stayed at the Art Series Blackman and thought we'd stay this time at the Olsen as the position was better for us. Both hotels are good.
I would recommend and stay again. We had 2 rooms one of which my mother occupied and she is going to redecorate her bedroom she loved the decor so much and wanted to buy the bed and accessories then and there. Just a little grip - TV in wrong position in room - instead of in front of bed its on the side which makes it very hard to watch in bed - sore neck potential. Also a plunger or nespresso machine would just add that little bit extra. Pool area very relaxing and bathroom amenities good.
Location is gr8 and staff very courteous and obliging.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Pishka,

I wish to thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased you had a terrific time with us here at [The Olsen] should you need anything in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will certainly take care of your needs.

Cranleigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We went to The Olsen on the recommendation of our daughter, who had stayed there previously for some weeks. It is an Art Hotel with copies of John Olsen's work everywhere. It is in a good location in the Yarra district outside the centre of Melbourne but with easy train and tram services to the centre. The hotel is quiet. It provides simple catering facilities but there is a lack of some basic kitchen equipment. The room was comfortable and there is an excellent bed. We had some concern over the quality of the room cleaning (trash bin not always emptied and surfaces not cleaned). The concierge was fantastic and really went out of his way to be helpful. Helpful and friendly staff.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Rowena C, Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Robin G,

I am happy to hear that your daughter enjoyed her residency here at [The Olsen]. We are very lucky to be located in such a great location.

I am dissapointed to hear that the standard in the room defintely was not up to what we would like to provide our guests. I have passed on your feedback to the Housekeeping Manager to ensure that these issues are now addressed.

Thank you for your lovely feedback regarding our concierge team, I am happy to hear that they went out of their way to ensure you enjoyed your stay.

NSW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

So, firstly the pro's:
The styling was great, the room was well laid out.
The bathroom was nice, the LEDs were a nice touch.
Location was pretty good, right on Chapel street.
Staff were pretty good, fairly accommodating.
Celebs in the hotel.

The con's:
The room was fairly small for the price.
No opening windows.
Keycards for the elevator/room had to be reset EVERY time we came back in. Presumeably because we were near interconnecting rooms and the guests opposite were different every day. VERY frustrating with bags of shopping or needing to get to bathroom ASAP.
Cleaners vacuuming and something that sounded like an pneumatic drill at 9:30am Sunday morning. Not pleasant after coming back late after a night out.
Champagne ordered when booking, only arrived after I asked where it was.
Parking was the biggest concern, I emailed and called the hotel 4 times to confirm what the car parking was like as our car cannot get into most carparks. We ended up having to park out the front of the hotel where cabs and hire cars were constantly opening their doors right near it, didnt sleep too soundly worrying about inconsiderate people putting dents in the car. Also seems to be a shortcut thoroughfare with lots of people walking around from some alleyway.
Music playing very loudly from 1-3:30am, sounded like it was coming from the foyer.

Overall I was impressed at first but didn't take long to disappear which was a shame for the price.

Room Tip: Don't get one overlooking the entrance.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Amy_Moylan, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear ilikeholidays09,

I am happy to hear that [The Olsen] was able to exceed your expectations within certain area's. However, I am dissapointed that we failed to deliver in other area's.

I have read through your list of con's and have taken onboard all the issues you touched upon. I can defintely understand the frustration with not having your room key work for the duration of your stay.

To be honest I am not sure what the drilling sound may of been but I am sure that it was not pleasant at all. I can touch on where our team have let you down and not having the champagne ready to go for your arrival is dissapointing. I can also understand feeling anxious if your vehicle was parked on our hotel drive. I wish we were able to confirm and were able to accomodate what you had requested several times.

I apologise on behalf of [The Olsen] for not maintaing your initial impression when you arrived. I would like to ensure that if you wish to stay with us again to contact me direct as I wish for you to experience [The Olsen] to be what we wish for our guests.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Assistant Experience Manager
Launceston, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for business recently and would have to say this place is the best!! The bedding is sensational and the rooms quiet leading to a brilliant nights sleep. Staff are very courteous and the on site restaurant is particularly good and priced well. Thoroughly recommend a stay at the Olsen

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Trafficled01,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review from your recent stay here at [The Olsen].

We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us!

Assistant Experience Agent
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Couldn't recommend this establishment more. Clean, fresh and welcoming. Keep up the great work!
Will definitely be returning. Have stayed here a few times and it never disappoints. I always feel comfortable and secure there. Great hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Amy_Moylan, Assistant Experience Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Trafficled01,

I wish to thank you for your kind words on your comments card from your stay. Your lovely words and comments about your stay really made the teams day and we thank you for your feedback.

I am so pleased you had a terrific time with us here at the Olsen, should you need anything in the future do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will certainly take care of your needs.

Assistant Experience Manager

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!