“Great!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Olsen

Save Saved
You added Art Series - The Olsen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Olsen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   637 - 641 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia (South Yarra)   |
Special Price
Book Direct Save 20%
Ranked #19 of 169 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Couldn't recommend this establishment more. Clean, fresh and welcoming. Keep up the great work!
Will definitely be returning. Have stayed here a few times and it never disappoints. I always feel comfortable and secure there. Great hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Amy_Moylan, Assistant Experience Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Trafficled01,

I wish to thank you for your kind words on your comments card from your stay. Your lovely words and comments about your stay really made the teams day and we thank you for your feedback.

I am so pleased you had a terrific time with us here at the Olsen, should you need anything in the future do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will certainly take care of your needs.

Assistant Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I laughed when I read the previous reviews about the lifts but it is true. Each trip took an inordinate amount of time, but since most of us are on holidays, hey, why not spend some quality time riding lifts. In fact you wait for everything at the Olsen. Each promise of 'we'll be right with you' is followed by a long wait or no follow though, be it housekeeping, front desk or trolley services. Consider other options especially if travelling with family.

While the deluxe studio suite is well appointed, with a baby cot and babysitter wedged in, it was tiny. The bathroom is small too. So after one night we sought to move to a larger configuration. In so doing, we had confirmed that the cot would either be set up or moved at the same time. It took a few phone calls and two hours for the cot to finally arrive (noting that housekeeping would have been aware of the request from 9am onwards as we were allowed into the new room at 2pm).

Steph at reception was the silver lining by efficiently arranging for a late checkout (at additional cost) and organising transport for the airport.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear want2bafitty,

I have found your feedback and recommendations to be most helpful, and the details that were overlooked throughout your stay shouldn’t have occurred but I have made steps to rectify them.

I do sincerely apologise we didn’t achieve the level of service we do strive for when it comes to meeting your needs, with regard to the clear problems in your suite not receiving the cot when it should of been placed into the room prior to your return, clearly the resolutions provided were below par.

Again your feedback was most helpful, Please feel free to contact me at any stage if you have any questions or concerns or are to book in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Loved the idea of designing a hotel around Australian artist, John Olsen especially the use of his animal designs everywhere including in the glass panels of the bathroom door. The rooms are not generous in size - but the bed is very comfortable!
The location is fabulous on Chapel St, home to a multitude of great cafés and shops.
The pool area is great, however the gym area is tiny.
We had a few issues with the hotel - the lifts were incredibly, frustratingly slow and whenever they did arrive they would stop at every floor and would be packed by the time (10 minutes later!) we arrived at the lobby level.
We also had issues catching cabs on the long holiday Sunday. It seemed everyone in Sth Yarra (us included) had to be at a wedding in the city at 4pm! Even though the hotel tried to order us one, we had to hustle hard to finally clinch one - arriving at the wedding 15 minutes late.
The hotel does not offer any 'freebies' - neither the bottles of water on the bedside tables nor wifi is complimentary. This hotel is not cheap, so it would have been a pleasant, friendly touch to have thrown in something for free. The value is not there.

Room Tip: We had a balcony room on the 10th floor which had lovely views but was tiny.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ozybod,

It is lovely to hear you are an art lover and a fan of John Olsen's artwork!

[The Olsen] is lucky to be situated in such a great location, lots of things to see and do in South Yarra!

I am sorry to hear that there were significant delays in waiting for the lifts. Sunday is unfortunantely our busiest day of the week. Which is why taxi's may of also been a problem on the day.

I can only apologise for the issues that you encountered during your stay and hope that in future if you do wish to stay with us we can rectify and ensure you have a fabulous stay with us!

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Olsen in late February. The check in was flawless and nothing was too much bother for the staff. The room was stylish and well appointed and, to my delight, it was stocked with a great magazine collection and treats for sweet tooths like me.

While only in Melbourne for a short stay, we wanted to make the most of it by enjoying some of the best dining and shopping experiences that the city has to offer. The lady at reception, Amy, provided us with excellent recommendations which made our visit all the more enjoyable.

We are looking forward to returning next time we are in Melbourne!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear WesternHelm,

Thank you for taking the time after your stay to write such a lovely Tripadvisor review. I am happy that our staff here at [The Olsen] delivered excellent service.

At [The Olsen] as staff we pride ourselves on knowning "what's on" in Melbourne. Amy Moylan is our Front Office Manager and it is great to hear she is leading by example.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay with us!

Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

A fabulous hotel. Could not fault our stay. Staff were friendly, accommodating and welcoming.
The rooms were superb with great views around Melbourne.
Beds comfortable - it was hard to get out! Enjoyed our morning lounging by the pool, reading our complimentary papers and drinking coffee.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Jacquielcooper,

What a glowing review! I am happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. It sounds like you were able to really enjoy what [The Olsen] has to offer! We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us!

nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Check in was very casual. At second thought the girl was quite blasé and should have updated me as to what was taking too long but she apologised at the end and I told her I was off with the fairies and not to worry.

The lifts in this hotel are incredibly slow, one of my biggest issues. I was on the first floor and I'd often have waits in excess of 30 seconds (feels like 5 minutes when you are just standing there). There are only 3 lifts for a high rise building and they all run very slowly and have to accommodate external visitors such as pool club guests etc.

I didn't put my breakfast menu on the knob before midnight so called in down when I woke up but the man on the phone from Spoonbill couldn't seem to get it right or understand. He said he would just read out sections and I say what I want - he asked two sections then finalised. I told him I'd just walk it down. Breakfast was good - cappuccino was ticked with skim milk but it had regular and then a whole cup of skim milk on the side?

Next evening I wanted late night room service. All of the phones rang out for 5-10 minutes no matter what I dialled. They are forwarded to mobiles as you hear it click over but still nothing. They did call back and the toasted sandwich was generously filled to the point where it was actually overfilling. Was lovely.

The gym is a bit of a let down. Small room with mostly cardio equipment. Cross Trainer is awful - my knees jar into the front and I'm 5'11. No area for floor work or weights if other people are about.

On the day of check out I went to wash my hair and realised that my shampoo and conditioner were only half filled and they did not replace the half filled ones with additional full filled ones for the last guests or even transfer new ones for when I checked in. Disappointing as I had already wet my hair and there was no way half a conditioner would suffice so I had to leave the hotel with oily wet unwashed hair.

I like the Art Series hotels and am considering residence at them but I do feel as though they are e a little style over substance at times and need to be more professional. They also have a lot of events and things on at this hotel and things like Pool Club - I think it's great to diversity their hotel brand and use of facilities but remembering that those visitors can become annoyances to full-paying accommodation guests who would like peace and quiet.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Amy_Moylan, Assistant Experience Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear ladyfitch,

I would love to discuss your experience here at [The Olsen] I do not believe you were able to experience what we strive to provide our guests whilst staying with us. Please contact myself or my colleague Amy Moylan at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

we recently spent an extended weekend at The Olsen. Our second visit to the hotel. Was unimpressed with the hotel on the first visit. Loved the brightness and decor of the room ( high level with balcony) but hated the bathroom. Small and pretty basic. A few years have passed and we thought we would give the hotel another go. This time we booked a Deluxe Spa Studio Suite. The suite was comfortable enough and a generous size. However because of the high wall around the patio and spa the room was not light and even when the lights were turned on there was still not enough light to read or apply make up. The bathroom is the size of a matchbox - less than comfortable and certainly not luxurious enough to warrant the price we were charged for the room. The position of the hotel is excellent and the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Beverley G,

I am happy that you decided to return at stay with us at [The Olsen] I am sorry to hear that you were not impressed by your first stay but you were willing to return and give it another try.

If you wish to stay with us again I would be happy to try and accomodate you in a room type to provide you with the comforts that you are looking for.

I have taken on board your feedback and hope that we can rectify these problems for any future stays with us. Thank you for the kind words regarding the staff here at [The Olsen].

Assistant Experience Manager

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!