“wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Olsen

You added Art Series - The Olsen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Olsen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   637 - 641 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia (South Yarra)   |
Special Price
Book Direct Save 20%
Ranked #18 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We have an awesome stay at the Olsen. The staff were fantastic. Especially the concierge Harry who was more then helpful and really made our stay one to remember! He helped us out with all our queries and made us feel welcome. The room service was quick and great food, we look forward to staying again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Amy_Moylan, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Hi Amber,

Thanks for your outstanding 5 star review, our team and certainly Harry was so thrilled to read he was helpful and a memorable member of our team.
Glad to see you took advantage of our 24 hour room service menu and enjoyed it so.

Cheers,
The Olsen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

During my time at the Olsen I stayed in room 102 which was one of their spa suites, at a cost of over $400 + a night. Overall I had a rather uncomfortable stay and would not return for the following reasons:

Firstly the Spa did not work, for a Spa suite I would expect this would be something any hotel checks before allowing guests to check in. It also took two phone calls and 40 minutes before the spa was temporarily fixed. The next morning I also found the Spa to be not working and this was reported on checkout.

At around 11pm at night the room smelt of smoke which was coming in through the air-conditioning. This was only temporary and I turned off the air-conditioning which resolved the issue but for a $400+ a night room I would have expected better.

Housekeeping entered the room only after one knock, I did not even get a chance to open the door before housekeeping walked in. This is common sense housekeeping should give guests time to open the door and respect their privacy.

A week after my stay I reviewed my credit card statement and noticed a charge for $7, I called the Olsen and this was apparently for the minbar. However during my stay the minibar was not used, I am now waiting for this to be refunded.

On check out the receptionist was friendly and provided a complimentary parking and room service (two slices of cake) when I reported the issues above. It was also mentioned a manager would call me to discuss the above issues. I stayed at the Olsen on the 22nd of December and I have not received a call which is very disappointing as I provided all of my contact details on checkout.

Room Tip: The Spa Suite is not recommended
Dear J799,

Thankyou for providing your feedback for your stay this past week.

I do sincerely apologise we didn’t achieve the level of service we do strive for when it comes to the issues you encountered with the Jacuzzi Spa Suite. In particular I am disappointed we let ourselves down with regard to a manager yet to make contact with you. I have been on annual leave and I believe this may have affected the timeliness of follow up communication in my absence. please accept my sincerest apologies.

I would love that chance to discuss the stay in persona and in more detail with you and find a happy outcome with regard to compensation.

Please feel free to contact me directly on 9040 1221 or amy_moylan@artserieshotels.com.au

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I stayed here for two nights on a business trip & thought this hotel was fabulous! Lovely clean room with great views and so central. If you are looking to experience something a little different from the norm, this is it. Will certainly be back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear JanisMcN,

Thank you for your great review, thrilled to see you had a great business trip.

Really looking forward to seeing you back in 2014!

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed here for business, rooms are small, and too much arty furniture squashed in, making the room rather unfunctional. They have too much focus on displaying Art, but not enough on operating a hotel. Great location, friendly staff and clean

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear T2cs,

Thankyou for your review, great to hear you thought our staff were friendly and you liked our location on Chapel St in the heart of South Yarra.
I am disappointed to read you felt we focus too much on the Art; certainly the Art and John Olsen’s Artwork is at the centre of our culture and the experience we are offering our guests, of course along with the balance of being a 5 star boutique hotel.

Regards,
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Stayed here for just the one night as I had an event in Melbourne, Location was fairly good as we used the Public Transport system which was easy enough to navigate to the hotel.
Room was clean and quite spacious, very modern and quite a nice view. They don't however use quilt covers and the bed was quite a mess by the next day.

Had a few issues, housekeeping barged straight in on the afternoon without knocking (2 of them) trying to restock the mini bar. Luckily we where just watching TV however they kept trying to restock the fridge, it was like halfway through they realised they shouldn't of been there and then just left all the stock for the fridge on the bench and walked out. I was expecting a bill for some of the mini bar however that didn't come.
Other problem I had was I couldn't find a pair of shoes anywhere when packing, rushing to make it to the airport to catch a flight I called the hotel to let them know, I was told housekeeping would check and call me back, about 6hrs later I called them back after not hearing from them and flown back to my state. I was told that my shoes where in the room next door.
Not sure how that happened and whilst i'd drank a little the night before it wasn't that much!
Anyway the hotel put my shoes in a post bag and charged my credit card for the postage!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear TravelledwellOz,

Thanks for your recent review, so terrific to hear that you liked our location and found it easy to get around. It’s true we are lucky in that we have both the tram line and train station only a short few minutes’ walk away from the front door of our hotel.

I am interested to hear your feedback regarding the minbar attendant and lost property claim, this feedback is most helpful and has been addressed with our Executive Housekeeping Manager for follow up.

Weymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We booked one of the larger rooms and I asked for a high room due to the other comments on Trip and was not disappointed. The room was well-appointed with all you need, clean and modern - good choice of books, magazines, nice touch. The bed was extremely comfortable but I agree with someone else on trip, not sure why they have such heavy duvets on the beds but there is aircon. The area has lots of shops and places to eat and its quick to get into Melbourne centre (tip: use the South Yarra train station or tram bus 8 stop 31). The reception staff very friendly and helpful.

Hi Snowbunni,

Thanks for your recent review from your stay with us here at the Olsen.
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us and felt our front desk staff friendly and helpful; we do truly love this time of year to look after our guests on a festive season holiday!

All the very best,
La Jolla, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I stayed in the Olsen for about a week in December 2013.

The pros:

Good central location, just off the Melbourne equivalent of "the King's Road."

The hotel is stylish and is trying hard to be hip/trendy... My local colleagues described it as a place where trendy people go to shop and spend money.

I thought the hotel was relatively modern, clean, and stylish... Clearly trying hard to be hip/trendy. It has a small lobby with helpful staff whose uniforms include matching jewelry that coordinates with the hotel's interior ... We'll the owner is an artist so they clearly put thought into these little but noticeable details.... Speaking of which, there was interesting artwork throughout the building, as well as in the room, and plenty of art books, which I appreciated.

The room itself was fine and the bed was very comfortable. It's not the 4 Seasons, but it's not the Courtyard Marriott either.

I was in a "1 bed studio," which is basically a hotel room with a kitchenette (induction cooktop, microwave, kettle, and sink). The room was a good size and it was great to have a kettle, mini-fridge, sink and microwave.... Made morning coffee and warming snacks very easy.... So both a time and money saver.

I was there for work so I did not see any sights, other than several of the local cafés, which are in abundance in the surrounding neighborhood. There are some very good breakfast places close by, with great salads and sandwiches for lunch, and baristas with impressive skills -- cappuccinos were works of art. There is also a shopping center almost directly across the street that includes a large grocery store, home made pasta store (if I could have figured out how to make the induction cooktop work I would have tried this option, but there were no instructions and it took until last day to figure it out). The shopping center also includes a fresh fruit and veg store, pizza place, and a large Woolworth's on the second floor. Having this across the street made it very convenient grab something quick for dinner and/ breakfast the next morning.

The cons:

Paying A$10 per day for Internet seemed very last century for a hotel that is trying so hard to be trendy. Still, once paid for, the internet connection was pretty good - I measured it a synchronous 5Mbit/sec (up and down), which is pretty unusual.

The RFID room keys are a nice touch, but the check-in staff does not explain how they work in the elevator.... During my stay, on at least 5 occasions, I met a confused person in the elevator who could not figure out how to make the elevator work properly and consequently ended up going down when they wanted to go up, or vice-versa.

Housekeeping was a bit cheap with the towels (2 total per room) and did not return /refresh the hand towels or washcloths after the first day. When I used a robe it was taken away and not refreshed, so that by the time I checked out, there were no robes in the room (started with 2x), no hand towel, and no washcloth.

One day I worked in the room until about noon and when housekeeping knocked I told them I was still in the room and needed a bit more time. I left between noon and 1pm and returned after 8pm but the room was not serviced. Disappointing.

The drain in my sink backed up if the water was on for more than 30-45 seconds (e.g. When brushing teeth or shaving), but was fixed when I notified the front desk (although I was a bit put off by the note left maintenance staff that said the drain was fine all along and did not back up... All I know is that it did not work before they were there and it worked great after they were there. So I was happy that it was fixed for the second half of my stay.

The lighting in the room was very poor if you wanted to get any work done at the tiny desk. Although there are halogen bulbs in the ceiling, there are not any over the desk area (perhaps to avoid glare on TV). The desk has a stylish looking (but useless from a functionality POV) lamp that featuring a low light output compact-fluorescent bulb lamp... It's a good example of "form over function" that tend to trip up designer hotels... Looked great but was Inadequate for reading or doing much computer work. An additional / more powerful working / reading lamp would have been welcomed. Strangely, I also had three light bulbs burn out on me during the week I was there. That's never happened before in a hotel.

All the above was pretty minor, and in general the hotel was very good. But the one thing that really bothered me was the persistent strange smell in the bathroom that seemed to be coming from the HVAC system, as though it had not been cleaned in a while... Things grow in a moist environment life ducting over a shower.... I can't really describe other than it smelled like the insides of an electric toothbrush (e.g. Sonicare) that has not been scrubbed out in a while. This was a bit off-putting in the morning, especially if bathroom door has been closed during the night.

All-in-all (apart from the strange smell) it was pretty good for my purposes. As I said, I was there for work and spent most of my time in an office, or working at the too-small desk in the room. For my purposes it was fine. However I am not sure I would stay at the Olsen if I were on holiday.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Greetings Jonathan,

Thank you for choosing to recently stay at the Olsen Hotel and I hope this response finds you well.

Thankyou for taking the time to review your hotel stay, I have found your feedback and recommendations to be most helpful. The details that were overlooked throughout your stay shouldn’t have occurred and I do apologise with particular regard to the smell and drainage issue you describe along with the housekeeping points you have raised.
Again your feedback was most helpful, Please feel free to contact me at any stage if you are to book again to stay in the future.

Front Office Manager

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!