“Lovely hotel, not as clean as it could be” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Olsen

You added Art Series - The Olsen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Olsen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   637 - 641 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia (South Yarra)   |
Special Price
Book Direct Save 20%
Ranked #19 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely hotel, not as clean as it could be”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed in a deluxe balcony suite. It was our second stay here, the hotel staff were fantastic once again. The suite was beautifully designed, loved all the little touches like current magazines and stunning decor. Our only criticism is that housekeeping was not up to scratch. The bath in our ensuite had a very visible tidal mark; the guest shower has a dirty floor; in the kitchen the cupboards had a grubby marks and the tray holding tea had old food (nuts and sugar) left in. We were quite surprised to find this level of cleaning at a hotel of this calibre.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul R, Chief Concierge at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review about [The Olsen].
We are delighted to hear the positive feedback from your stay, however, also need to hear constructive feedback of which we can make improvements. I will certainly pass on your comments to our Executive Housekeeper in regards to the cleaning.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Greek first
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed here overnight (7/8 July 2013) (accidentally thought I'd booked the weekend), with my priority card.

Previously, I'd stayed a fortnight at the Cullen hotel. It was 2 weeks of hell, so naturally, I was hesitant to stay here, given they are essentially brother and sister.

However, upon arrival, problems had already arisen. I won't go into detail, but I do have to say thank you to the check in agent, who's name I believe was Jason? He was extremely helpful and even gave me an upgrade for the trouble. He was extremely professional which is what you'd expect when you're paying money for a 5 star hotel

The room was quite small, but that doesn't really matter. It was clean and beautiful. The artwork here isn't dreary or giving that melancholy feeling that the Cullen kept radiating. (also the staff at the Cullen are awful!).

Although it was only one night, I'm returning to MEL shortly and will definitely rebook here.

My only compaint, which was my fault, as I forgot to bring it up was that the air conditioner/fan system in room #409 wasn't working. Also the hipster looking staff at night, with the glasses, could be more helpful and less nonchalant.

I still enjoyed my stay here though and would return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
We appreciate that you decided to try out another Art Series Hotel within our group and giving a positive review of your stay with us at [The Olsen].

Thank you for the constructive feedback regarding the Olsen property. The décor in [The Olsen] is to reflect on the legendary John Olsen who is one of Australia’s most recognised artists.

The team here at The Olsen are looking forward to welcoming you back for your next stay with us.
Cairns
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We found this one on a mystery booking, fantastic modern room with everything you would need to be self contained. We asked for a room with a balcony when we checked in and staff at reception went out of their way to help us. The decor is ultra modern and beds were very comfortable. The Olsen is located on Chapel St. Close to everything, trams, shops, restaurants, MCG, Albert Park, oh and of course, Woolworth's is across the road along with a bottle shop. Couldn't fault the Olsen and will happily return.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul R, Chief Concierge at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
We appreciate the time you have taken to leave [The Olsen] the above review. We are spoilt to have on our doorstep a number of choices from eateries, bars, sporting arenas, public transport, supermarkets and not to mention the shopping! We are delighted to hear that [The Olsen] team were able to assist with a special request for a balcony room and we certainly are looking forward to welcoming you back to [The Olsen].
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Received a gift for our engagement and used this night away for a treat post wedding. The service was terrible. Upon booking we were given incorrect information as to what we were booking. Upon checkout were told to pay more than what we owed. Then weeks later another transaction was taken from our credit card without or knowledge or asking. Total amateurs managing this business, have called them 3 times for resolution from manager and been told I'd be called back and still waiting a week later. Would not recommend or go back to this place due to lack of professionalism. Have been to hostels around the world and slept in better camping grounds run better than this than this

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul R, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thankyou for your review, firstly I am saddened to hear of your experience here at [The Olsen]. This is not the form of experience we wish our guests to have and truly a disappointment for us.

I would like to discuss with you in person or over the phone your experience as in regards to the misinformation about your reservations and subsequent charging of your credit card post stay.

I can be contacted at the hotel most days, My Name is Amy Moylan and I am the Front Office Manager of the hotel.

I look forward to speaking with you and getting to the bottom of this for a swift resolution.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I had the most amazing experience at the Art Series The Olsen. From the minute I enquired over the phone about hotel rates, Jared really helped me find the best deals for my short stay. I was there by myself, and was quite nervous about getting lost as I wasn't from Melbourne and had never been on my own before-but I felt so comfortable staying at this hotel because of the service they gave me. Jared talked me through some options on how to get there from the Airport, and even on the day when I arrived he helped me on the phone while I was figuring out my transport options at the airport and on the bus. Upon checking-in, I was greeted with a smile, and a wonderfully vibrant welcome. Jared showed me a map to some local restaurants and shopping malls (totally up my alley and what I'm interested in too! It was almost like he could read my mind!!). Much to my surprise, and in no way did I have this expectation at all, I was then upgraded to a 2BR, 2BR Penthouse suite with late check-out till 1pm. I really felt like a princess!!!! The room just took my breath away.. it was just amazing and because it was more spacious, I felt like I was at home... I loved the interior decorating and design - very fresh, clean, spacious and bespoke. With a fond appreciation for art, it was great to hear the history of John Olsen on the TV documentary play-back, and view his work in the room, and through books that were available. There were great views, and I loved the small touches from black slippers, to T2 for a nice hot herbal tea, spa bath and the quirky beauty ECO products that cracked me up with the comments on the packaging. It's also such a great location to all the local stores, restaurants, train station and art galleries! I didn't want to venture out too much on my own, but everything I needed to keep me pre-occupied during my stay was there within walking distance! I wanted to hire a smart car, or a bike, but I just ran out of time - will have to do that next time because the rate was really good value ($35 for half the day I recall?)... I will never forget this experience and how much the staff made me feel safe and welcome. What I also enjoyed about my experience was that everywhere I looked there was something that was filled with positivity - from the colourful, vibrant art, to the beauty products and even the in-room mugs that said 'my cup's half full'. I enjoyed my experience so much that I wanted to take something home with me as a reminder of this great hotel, I enquired about the in-room mug (my cup's half full) as I wanted to purchase one. The lovely lady on reception had a new one delivered to my room and again, exceeded my expectations by gifting it to me complimentary. Again, something I didn't expect to happen... All I can say is that I didn't have a bad word to say about my stay at this hotel. My only constructive feedback (in case you are a really really light sleeper like me) is that I could subtly hear the lifts bumping throughout the night, but this was a quick fix. I drowned this out by putting a plush, feather pillow over my head/ears and had the best night sleep each night. Perhaps some disposable ear plugs could help? but honestly, it wasn't that much of an issue at all. :) I can't wait to come back and stay there again, and even try out the other Art Series Hotels as they are so trendy! I would definitely recommend The Olsen to anyone. AAAA+++++...

Room Tip: Penthouse suite is great - best views, great layout - fabulous!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to writing your detailed review for [The Olsen] hotel, We love that you felt welcome from the initial reservation, on arrival, during your stay and right through to the departure from us. Jarred and Team Olsen certainly appreciates all feedback that you have passed on. The decor, amenities, facilities and the legendary art work of John Olsen all throughout [The Olsen] certainly provides for a setting for ones time away from home. We are certainly looking forward to welcoming you back to [The Olsen]!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

The Olsen seems fantastic, I will stay there next time, but I did enjoy spa treatments at Norbu Spa, highly recommend, can't wait to return, Di and her team really spoil you! The hot box was great to relax and detox!

• Stayed June 2013
Paul R, Chief Concierge at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write the above review for Norbu the day spa at [The Olsen], Di and the Norbu team certainly appreciates the positive feedback.

We are certainly looking forward to welcoming you back to [The Olsen] and the Norbu Day Spa!
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed here for a family function and had a great weekend. The room was beutifully appointed and the hotel itself is impressively appointed and decorated. The staff were friendly and helpful and the location is in the heart of Melbourne's premier retail and entertainment zone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for leaving some great feedback on Trip Advisor about [The Olsen]. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the Guest Experience Team were able to provide you with outstanding service.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to [The Olsen].

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!