“Norbu Spa Experience was amazing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Olsen

Save Saved
You added Art Series - The Olsen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Olsen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   637 - 641 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia (South Yarra)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Direct Save 20%
Ranked #19 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
“Norbu Spa Experience was amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

The Olsen seems fantastic, I will stay there next time, but I did enjoy spa treatments at Norbu Spa, highly recommend, can't wait to return, Di and her team really spoil you! The hot box was great to relax and detox!

• Stayed June 2013
Paul R, Chief Concierge at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write the above review for Norbu the day spa at [The Olsen], Di and the Norbu team certainly appreciates the positive feedback.

We are certainly looking forward to welcoming you back to [The Olsen] and the Norbu Day Spa!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed here for a family function and had a great weekend. The room was beutifully appointed and the hotel itself is impressively appointed and decorated. The staff were friendly and helpful and the location is in the heart of Melbourne's premier retail and entertainment zone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for leaving some great feedback on Trip Advisor about [The Olsen]. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the Guest Experience Team were able to provide you with outstanding service.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to [The Olsen].
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed here for business 2 weeks ago. As expected it is a gorgeous hotel and the rooms are one of the best I have stayed at out of all the 5 star properties I have visited. There were some 'suspicious' looking black hairs in the shower, however I didnt let that detract from the overall experience.

My issue is that I actually loved the hotel rooms so much, I decided this would be the hotel I wanted to book for my upcoming wedding for myself and guests to stay in prior and the night of the wedding. I tried calling reservations whilst at the hotel to discuss this, it continually rang out so I contacted reception who advised someone would contact me. By the time of check out 2 days later no one contacted me, despite having my mobile number as well as room number. Still wanting to book this hotel, I then followed up with an email detailing my requirements.......no reply. A week later I call and was advised they could not find my email (cant understand why as its showing as sent with no return issues and I used the email link from their own website), I spoke with a friendly member of staff who asked me to resend the email. I did so and have now finally over 2 weeks later recieved a reply basically just asking me to go online and book the rooms there. I had also asked some questions around whether a car service is offered through The Olsen, however I was not given any answer.

I would have done that in the first instance, however given that I will be booking one type of room for NYE (a 2 bedroom suite), a different type of room for the following night (2 bedroom suite - night before wedding), plus another 2 types of room that night (one twin, one king), then a different type of room again for the wedding night (king), plus around 6 extra rooms (mixes of kings and twins) that night, I thought it would be simpler, easier, cheaper to organise all this direct. I am a bit concerned for example that the room I would be getting ready in, will be different to the room for the night of my wedding so all my luggage will be required to be moved.

The fact that overall we will be spending around $3000 for 3 nights accommodation should have warranted some assistance and I suppose reassurance that this was the right place to be spending this important time for us.

Quite sad really as I stay in Melbourne for business for around 5 nights every month (spending around $9,000 a year on hotels)....this would also have been the hotel of choice if it were not for the better service. In fact, I was meant to book for next week, however I am holding off for now. Feeling somewhat dissapointed The Olsen.....such a beautiful hotel and very homely.....just let down by the service.

On another note, 3 weeks ago I emailed the restaurant directly asking whether they have anything vegan suitable for breakfast (so I would know whether to book breakfast or go elsewhere) I am still waiting for that reply too.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights whilst in Melbourne for work. I was really impressed by my room and all the beautiful paintings in the hallways, foyer and bedroom. Food is great in the restaurant, staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Suggest you book a room on a higher level to minimise the street noise of vehicles and trams. I was...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Brendan T, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
We appreciate your review of your stay with us at [The Olsen].

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the Olsen property. The décor in our hotel is to reflect on the legendary John Olsen who is one of Australia’s most recognised artists.

The team here at The Olsen are looking forward to welcoming you back for your next stay with us.
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Olsen Art Hotel is a truly 5 star experience. Our room (2 BR balcony suite) was large, attractive, beautifully equipped and had extraordinary views from Chapel Street to an ocean glimpse. Fabrics were lovely, furniture and bedding very comfortable and the food excellent. In fact, the bed was deliciously cosy! But for me, The Olsen is about good design and décor, excellent food and incredibly polite and respectful staff. Concierge was so helpful, valet service sensational & front desk always had a smile. Huge mini bar, large fridge, neat kitchen facilities and great desk space (which suits people working or with students). The John Olsen artwork was also really delightful to enjoy. It was truly a pleasure to stay here & can't wait to go back.
Any negatives? Well, the heater wasn't amazing, & maybe the lift's genteel pace is a little slow, staff forgot to drop a key up but apology was sincere ... but who cares, this is a great hotel & we loved it.

Room Tip: If you enjoy space, pick the 2 BR balcony suite on level 7 :) The Chapel St view is spectacular...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you kindly for the above review, [The Olsen] certainly appreciates your feedback and we have taken all the points on board.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the design and the service provided to you from The Olsen team members. It was unfortunate to hear about the issues that occurred during your stay with us, we have since past this feedback onto our team and these issues since have been rectified.

We look forward to giving you a warm welcome back to [The Olsen].
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

When a hotel checks you out with 1 day left on your stay,without you checking out, takes all clothes and luggage out the room and doesn't contact you, then it's time to find another hotel in Melbourne.

Stayed June 2013
The Olsen Team appreciates your feedback and would to once again apologise for the unfortunate mistake that occurred during your visit here with us and the inconvenience which this caused. As mentioned previously we have taken many steps to investigate why this happened and to ensure this does not happen again here at [The Olsen].

If you would like to discuss your stay any further you’re more than welcome to contact our Front Office Manager on 9040 1222 at your earliest convenience.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The Olsen is the best place in Melbourne...South Yarra Hotel...right on Chapel Street. Highly recommended..staff is great. I recommend it highly. Ask for a room with a view...it looks right down Chapel Street. And you are only a few minutes walk from great bars, restaurants. There are 2 great restaurants in the hotel itself.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thankyou kindly for the above review, we appreciate all feedback that we receive as it assists us in ensuring continuous improvements all throughout [The Olsen].

We do pride ourselves on providing excellent service which is simultaneously genuine and professional. Great comment there about the views as having 14 levels there are some marvellous views of the Chapel Street night life and the city sky lights can be absolutely majestic.

We look forward to welcoming you back to [The Olsen].

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!