“Olsen Hotel Melbourne chic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Olsen

You added Art Series - The Olsen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Olsen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   637 - 641 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
BOOK DIRECT SAVE 20%
Ranked #26 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Olsen Hotel Melbourne chic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have stayed at the Olsen Hotel twice now and absolutely love it! It's stylish, in a great location just off Chapel Street and have a team of friendly, helpful staff!
It's not cheap, but if you're like me and would rather spend that bit extra on luxury accommodation then it's definitely worth it.
You can read more about the Olsen Hotel on my blog http://thirtysomethingdownunder.com/2012/06/30/the-olsen-hotel-melbourne/

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brendan T, Concierge Team Leader at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
The Olsen Team would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review and I really enjoyed reading your blog on [The Olsen]. The Art Series brand is rapidly establishing its self throughout Melbourne and before long throughout Australia and we really appreciate those such as yourself spending so much time spreading the ‘word’.
The Warhol Promotion we had here was certainly one of my favourites we have had so far and we all look forward to seeing what special promotion the Art Series Team comes up with next.
Love how you mention getting a cultural and therapy experience all in one hit as this really can describe ones time here at [The Olsen].

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Greek first
Frankston, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We didn't get to stay long enough as were just in town for a wedding overnight. That is the only reason I gave this a 4/5, as we didn't get to experince all that was on offer. What we did experience was exceptional staff and customer service that we hadn't enjoyed anywhere for some time. A wonderfully appointed room and ammenities. Not a thing was missing in our list of needs and we highly recommend The Olsen to anyone. Take a minimum 2-3 night stay and experience this place and its surrounds properly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Brendan T, Concierge Team Leader at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Very fair review and we will certainly have to host you here for a longer period of time next time you are in town. We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. Our aim is to provide an exceptional experience and we understand that having a high level of service is the key to this. We take pride in employee motivated, passionate team members and we all look forward to having you both stay with us in next to no time. Until we see you next happy travels.
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

If I was a living artist, and close to being a national treasure, i would hope that any hotel named after me would be to my liking. Not sure what John Olsen thinks, but this is a great hotel - full of style, well-appointed, and in a great location, at the northern end of one of Melbourne's best shopping/eating/people-watching precincts. Nearby tram routes take you anywhere worth going.

Rooms are spacious, clean, stylish. small kitchenette, imaginative minibar offerings, and excellent bathroom with walk-in shower.

Only had the one night here - but looking forward to returning one day

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Love your review and we thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback! Dr John Olsen was here last week and as always he had a magical experience. He is very humble and it’s always an honour to meet him. I would like to inform you he certainly loves visiting [The Olsen]. No one can fault the location of the hotel and the mini bar certainly is creative and always involving to meet our guest’s tastes and stay innovative. ‘
The Olsen team looks forward to hosting you again and best wishes until then!
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I have recently stayed at this property for 10 nights! (I hesitate to refer to it as a hotel, as that would imply a certain level of service one would come to expect, and far far from a 5-star one at that). I have conveyed my annoyance and frustrations with the floor manager as the general manager was away on long leave. I find their "apology" lacks sincerity. I guess they mistook my patience for a push-over; which is not very nice.

I have written my grievances, addressed to the general manager, and am still awaiting a reply, and hopefully a more sincere action plan. It's never too late to right a wrong.

I am not surprised that many of the reviewers here experienced this questionable level of service at this hotel, though I am sure my experience would take the cake.

Room Tip: Request to check that it is actually one big bed in your room and not 2 little beds masquerading as...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Brendan T, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to place your feedback regarding your stay. I must admit I am surprised to read your review as I believed the issues to be resolved and grievances aired along with an agreement for fair compensation had all taken place prior to your departure with me.
It is fair to say our service standards were not achieved regarding housekeeping issues in your room and for these issues we have certainly let you down, however I must say as soon as this was brought to our attention your feedback was acted upon and consequently the Housekeeping attendant have faced disciplinary action.
I do wish you had have brought this to my attention prior to your departure day eve and we could have worked harder in turning your experience around. I do however believe we agree upon fair compensation with the complimentary late checkout of 9.30pm to suit your flight schedule and a complimentary corporate chauffer car to the airport.
Again I thank you for your feedback and do offer my sincere apologies for the housekeeping related issues your raised during your stay.

Amy Moylan
Front Office Manager
9040 1222
Perth, West Aust.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My daughter and I have just returned home from six nights at The Olsen. We LOVED it.
I was worried it may be too 'hip' for my 8-year-old but the staff were so lovely and made us feel very welcome. We stayed in a balcony suite which had a nice view and a huge shower.
The design of the room and whole hotel is fabulous. We even got to meet its namesake by the pool one day! The pool is amazing. All the facilities are excellent.
Room service was super fast - a bit lacking in consistency but no big deal.
The location is great with trams pretty much on the doorstep.
My only gripe - and I SO hate to do this because the hotel was SO close to perfect - is the pillows. They were uncomfortable! Still, we'll be back again and again. Loved it. Squishy pillows and all.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Wow! I personally loved reading this review and we are very grateful to you for taking the time to write such lovely words and assist in spreading the word about [The Olsen]. It is always exciting to read that a guest stayed for multiple nights such as yourself as you really get to experience what the hotel and its surroundings has to offer. Glad the room service was fast and I will discuss the consistency of the items you mentioned with the staff of Spoonbill.
Thank you for mentioning your little ‘gripe’ and you will be pleased to know we have pillow menus in the room with multiple options to please all! Shall look forward to seeing you both again soon.
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed at sister hotel so thought I would try. Like many "cool" hotels have forgotten service matters. Check in perfunctory, bag took 30 mins to get to the room ( having been dropped in the morning), no hairdryer so had to call, uncomfortable bed ( unforgiveable for a hotel).
V disappointing. Not again!

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for choosing to recently stay at [The Olsen] Hotel. The hotels management team have carefully read your review and would like to ensure you the appropriate steps have since been taken in regards to the issues you mentioned. We believe there is nothing more important than the level of service in which we provide our guest with and found it extremely disappointing to read your comments.
If you would like to discuss your stay further or would like to give us the opportunity to show to you that this is not how we operate here at [The Olsen] please contact our Front Office Manager Amy Moylan on 9040 1222. Thank you
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Comfortable room, good location, facilities - restaurant, pool, games area, gym- acceptable standard. Service to room very poor: tea bags and basic toiletries not replenished, bathroom floor not properly cleaned during a four-day visit. Room food service from restaurant fast and okay. Please train and check your housekeeping staff better than this as the rest of the hotel is a higher standard.

• Stayed April 2013
The Olsen Team would like to thank you for taking the time to leave [The Olsen] hotel this informative review. The location of the hotel is certainly ideal and our swimming pool is like no other with its glass bottom. Disappointing to read that the housekeeping did not meet your expectations and we ensure you this has been investigated and followed up with management. The appropriate steps have since been taken to prevent the hotel from receiving any future feedback like this.
Thank you again for your constructive feedback.

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!