“Good Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Olsen

You added Art Series - The Olsen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Olsen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   637 - 641 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia (South Yarra)   |
Special Price
Book Direct Save 20%
Ranked #18 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
“Good Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel over my birthday and I was quite Impressed.
The Service at the hotel was brilliant ( I called the reception after a few beverages early in the morning and asked if I could check out late and have breakfast sent up later and they said yes with no hesitation or surcharge! )
The bed was extremely comfortable and it gave you that special feeling by staying there.
I found some draw backs but only a couple, the sliding door between the room and the living area was cracked and had fallen off the roller so I was unable to open/close it.
The glass on the balcony was also shattered and although stil

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Brendan T, Concierge Team Leader at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Here at [The Olsen] we believe that every birthday should be celebrated and always do our best to ensure our Birthday guests have a memorable stay!
We understand how sometimes after a big night one likes to relax just that extra hour or to longer so we always do our best to accommodate for a late check out when requested.
I found your feedback and recommendations to be most helpful in regards to your room, I have made steps to rectify them so as these issues were fixed by our maintenance team.
We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We relocated to Australia from the US and were "in residence" at The Olsen Hotel for two months. The staff couldn't have been nicer -- Amy, both Jareds, Kate, Jacqui and many others made our stay a memorable one. The mattresses are specially made for the Art Series chain, so we slept incredibly well. As others have said, the location can't be beat. Nearly everything you could want is within walking distance (including a huge grocery store directly across the street) and you can catch two different tram lines and one train line just outside the door. We would highly recommend The Olsen for anyone visiting Melbourne. And if you stay there during the Australian Open or the Grand Prix, you just might spot a celebrity!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review as it is always important to have feedback from our resident guests as they really get to know the hotel and the staff inside and out!
We have developed a wonderful team here at [The Olsen]. Amy is certainly a great leader as our Front Office Manager and all the team members are very motivated and passionate individuals
The location of the hotel is indeed perfect and yes having the Vogue Plaza across the road with a Woolworth’s store, Big W and a large fruit and veggie store proves to be very handy for our guest.
Was an absolute pleasure having you both stay with us and we hope you enjoy the next chapter of your lives and we see you again soon. (Even if it’s not for quite as long)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

For a hotel which purports to be 5 star, I expected a little more.
The location is pretty good, on Chapel Street a short drive or tram ride down from the hub of this trendy Melbourne district. It is walking distance at a bit of a stretch, but the hotel is on the outskirts of the main part of Chapel Street and all its restaurants and retail outlets.
For the price afforded by a 72 hour sale that was being held on wotif.com, I found that The Olsen was good value at $149 for one of their smaller studio rooms with late 2pm checkout. I'm not sure I'd pay the $200+ full price though.
The reception lobby didn't give me the impression of being a 5 star hotel, and the whole area was rather minimalist, if anything, in design. Reception staff were efficient and polite - not overly warm and genuine - but got the job done right. I have received the same level of service at 3 star hotels though so I guess I expected a little more.
The downstairs restaurant has a good selection of menu items at prices competitive for the area.
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to experience the swimming pool, and I understand there is no spa/jacuzzi available for all guests, which once again is rather disappointing for a 5 star hotel if I am correct in my assumption.
The rooms were clean and well appointed with good quality amenities. I personally found the clear plastic chairs to be a bit industrial or commercial with no charm, however the room itself was nice and it was really nice to have the focus on artworks by John Olsen, and other predominantly local artists.
The Queen Size bed was comfortable, and my room on the 8th floor had a nice view down Chapel Street. Ordinary street/traffic noise did not permeate into the room, however roadworks noise did during the day.
Available TV channels included all the usual Melbourne free-to-air channels, as well as some Foxtel Pay-TV channels, and I think they had movies on demand available to purchase also.
Tea and coffee in the room were good quality, and it was handy to have a small milk carton provided rather than the oft-encountered annoying tiny aluminium-top milk containers.
On several occasions I heard what I assume was the plumbing from the room next door, and I could easily hear people in the corridor outside my room. I expected a little better soundproofing from a hotel of this class.
Limited underground parking was available, the entrance and exit are a bit of a squeeze, but it's good that the hotel offers parking nonetheless.
WiFi internet was included in my rate, though this seemed to only be valid for 8 hours, so you may want to check this if internet access is important to you during your stay.
To summarise, this is a well-known hotel that, in my opinion, is not what you would expect a 5 star hotel to be by world standards. It was comfortable, clean, new, and I'd certainly recommend it at a discount/special price, but I felt it was more of a 4-4.5 star property. Trams are outside the door, the main part of Chapel Street is not too far away. I have based my "average" rating on an overall assessment of the value for money, so I basically think it's a little overpriced at the normal rates.
There was nothing really bad about the hotel, but nothing really made it stand out like I expected it would either.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I notice you are a very experienced traveller and a frequent user of Tripadvisor so it was very kind of you to spend so much time writing such an extremely informative review.
I have found your feedback to be most helpful, and the details that were overlooked throughout your stay shouldn’t have occurred but I have made steps to rectify them.
The hotel does have a day spa available for all guests where the ladies are very skilled in many areas when it comes to different treatments and have magical hands when it comes to giving our guest a massage.
I do sincerely apologise in regards to the fact that we didn’t achieve the level of service we do strive for when it comes to meeting your needs and if you choose to stay again I am sure we can turn this around.
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

This is not a super luxurious hotel. It is very convenient hotel with good sized rooms. Our room even had a little kitchenette.
The bathroom is a bit too small.
The beds are a bit too soft.
The car park is too small and rherefore always full.

However the location makes up for it all. All the shops and restaurants.
If you turn right when you come out of the hotel and go through the tight walk way you come to a super car show room.
There is a cafe to the left on Chapel werw you can get breakfast.
Become a Rydges member and you can get discounts at the Spoonbill, the hotel's restaurant and bar.

• Stayed March 2013
Brendan T, Concierge Team Leader at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
It was great to see that you took the time to give [The Olsen] a review.
The kitchenette may not be massive though it does have all the basic utilities which one usually needs when staying in a hotel such as a stove, fridge and microwave oven.
As for the beds, yes they are extremely soft though most of our guests love this fact as it makes for a very pleasant sleep.
You are correct it is well worth while becoming a Priority Guest Rewards Member as there is a wide range of benefits for all members. Members receive a discount on their accommodation, food and beverage in our hotel restaurant and even a complimentary drink on every stay.
We hope to have you visit us again in the near future.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

When you're in Melbourne, I highly recommend this hotel. I usually travel on business, and this hotel with its convenient location and professional staff is exactly what I was looking for. This is a very clean hotel, and the staff does an excellent job answering any and all questions you may have. I compliment the hotel on its decor and attention to detail. If you need a hotel where you are comfortable and want to feel relaxed, this hotel fits the bill.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Brendan T, Concierge Team Leader at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
It is exciting to get a recommendation from someone who is such an experienced traveler.
The Olsen Team is well informed on what the hotel has to offer, South Yarra and its surroundings and the large variety of attractions in and around Melbourne.
Attention to detail is something which is very important to us as yes we have an amazing decor and excellent beds in addition to this we aim to focus all aspects of a guests stay.
[The Olsen] looks forward to having you visit us again next time you’re in Melbourne.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Even the unexpectedly icy manner of the young, stylish woman on reception didn't spoil my enjoyment of this hotel. Initial impressions were good with great music piped through the public areas. The room was gorgeous with large artworks on the walls and the stunning mural on the glass divider between the bed area and bathroom. I loved the stack of art books, the EVO toiletries and the incredibly comfortable bed! The room was almost perfect with the only exception being slightly noisy aircon, however, this wasn't enough to disturb my very good night's sleep. The highlight of my recent stay was the pool; I must have picked the right time as the pool area was peaceful and enabled me to cool off on yet another stinking hot Melbourne night. The pool is just heaven - long enough to do laps and big enough just to wallow. I loved it so much that I took a brisk morning dip the next day.
I will definitely return to The Olsen, the location is good, the rooms contemporary, and that pool is not to be missed.

Room Tip: I signed up for the Guest Rewards program and received a 20% discount on the online room rate.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
The Olsen Team really appreciates that you took the time to write such an amazing review and to even include a few photos of our property.
The hotel aims to demonstrate John Olsen's personality all throughout the hotel. The murals in each room, paintings throughout the rooms and corridors and art books are just some of the ways in which we do this.
Thank you for alerting us about the noise you heard from your air conditioning, we have since had our maintenance team attend to this and it has been resolved. The Art Series beds always make for a pleasant sleep and we often have guest find that they want to purchase one for themselves so as they sleep so soundly every night.
We will look forward to having you stay here with us again in the near future
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband & I stayed the night for our 3rd wedding anniversary & we had great fun relaxing stay.

All the staff were very friendly, helpful & welcoming. We loved the swimming pool & deck.

The hotel is great because its close to public transport, cafes/ restaurants.

The room had great view with very comfy bed & soft pillows everything you wanted was there for you also great room service.

We will be back one day thanks

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write up such a positive review for [The Olsen].
It was great to read that you and your husband had so much fun celebrating your third wedding anniversary. I love how you choose to come back each year to celebrate this momentous occasion.
The swimming pool is a lovely place all year round and the sun deck really compliments the area perfectly! The glass bottom floor and glass wall which the pool has really adds to the experience as well. Thank you again for the informative review and we will see you both again soon.

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!