“You need to stay here!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Olsen

You added Art Series - The Olsen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Olsen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   637 - 641 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia (South Yarra)   |
Special Price
Book Direct Save 20%
Ranked #19 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
“You need to stay here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed after stumbling on this hotel via this website. Our gamble paid off, thankfully. Stylish, modern and very central. Staff friendly, helpful and very professional. Not only did we get upgraded to the 11th floor but also surprisingly came home that night to find a chilled bottle of champagne. It was my birthday weekend. Highly recommend this hotel. $15 cab ride to the CBD and a short stroll down to Chapel St shopping precinct. 10/10
Lorena

• Stayed January 2013
Brendan T, Concierge Team Leader at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
We are delighted that you decided to leave [The Olsen] such a pleasing review as we certainly aim to please and do our best to ensure all guest have an unforgettable experience when in Melbourne.
[The Olsen] is ideal for any special occasion and you certainly made the right choose taking the 'gamble' as you say and deciding to stay here with us.
You have summed up our staff perfectly as providing friendly, helpful and yet simultaneously professional service is what we strive to do each day.

The cab ride to the CBD is very short and affordable though there is of course always the option to stay local when having a night out on the town as the South Yarra area has a large assortment of venues that definitely aim to please and our team members are always more than happy to provide their recommendations.

We look forward to having you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

A truely incredible hotel, excellent staff, amazing location and facilities. Made all the more enjoyable with the summer 3-night special offer and the "overstay you're welcome policy"- such a treat getting an extra night free !

• Stayed January 2013
You're review may have been short though it was straight to the point and exactly the feedback we love to hear. The summer special is ideal for those planning on spending a few nights here in Melbourne and our overstay promotion was a massive success. It is always very exciting hearing that a guest received a complimentary night and 'overstayed' their time here with us. Across the three Art Series properties a total of 339 full nights were given out and over 1200 hours to those who wanted to 'overstay'.
We will certainly have another exciting promotion in the future so feel free to keep an eye on our website or facebook page.
Looking forward to having you visit us again shortly.
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Amazing staff, stunning rooms (great bed) and to top off our exceptional stay the Day Spa and pool! All staff were genuine, caring and looking to assist your stay in any way; making you feel welcome and at home. Thank you Jacquie for your outstanding personalised customer service from check in, to assisting us throughout our stay! We were so fortunate to receive the Overstay your welcome promotion for 2 nights (it turned our busy Melbourne visit, helping our daughter move, into a holiday! Thank you! It is just such an amazing offer and enabled us to spend a time on gorgeous Chapel Street and more time in the hotel! The breakfast was delicious with everything on offer and again the staff were so warm and friendly. The Norbu Day Spa and the staff Di and Lu Lu were so helpful and the treatment the best ever! As a beauty therapist I like to try treatments when I travel and my massage was the best in the most beautiful room! We will defiantly return and would highly recommend The Olsen.

Room Tip: Stunning view over Chapel Street.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Exceptional - Now that is precisely the word we want to hear when referring to [The Olsen] and the experience they occurred here with us.
Our staff aim to be genuine as guest deserve genuine service which is also professional and yet welcoming. Jacqui has a smile that can light up any room and a personality to compliment it. Has been a delight having Jacqui join the team this summer and she was a terrific advocate for the 'overstay' promotion. I find moving can involve some stress though I recall you and your family always looked like you were enjoying yourselves too much to be stressed.
Everyone loves a massage and the ladies at Norbu are some of the best, glad you found time to put your feet up and enjoy!
We will certainly look forward to having you stay again throughout the year when you come to visit your daughter.
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I hate to write this review as overall I had a good time, but the fact that my legs are COVERED in flea bites is unfortunate and unacceptable.

The hotel has brown carpets in the rooms. They told me they have a no pet policy, so I am not sure what was biting me. I woke up with at least 8 or 9 bites all on my right leg and foot on morning 1 of a 3 night stay. I immediately thought fleas, but then wanted to give the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe it was mosquitoes as I slept with the balcony door open.

Day 2 the bite situation seemed the same, no more, no less, so I didnt take action or report it. I was also out of my room almost all day and evening that day, only being in my room briefly to sleep.

Day 3 as I was calling to request a copy of my bill, I realized I was absentmindedly scratching my left foot where I had 3 new bites during the short phone call to reception. I freaked out and realized it really was fleas in the carpet and went to front desk. They were very nice and embarrassed and gave me some anti-sting creme (intended for sunburn) and said they would report it to houskeeping, As I was checking out I just thought it important that this be fixed before someone else suffer.

This hotel was basically fine. New construction, everything in the room and the linens and bathrooms felt clean - no mould, no dust, fresh feeling in the room, good AC system even though I chose to sleep with fresh air and open my balcony door at night. The staff were all friendly and efficient. The mattress was too soft for me and caused me back pain on night one, so on night 2 they fixed it by having housekeeping put a board under the mattress - it worked really well and I was grateful and impressed by the simple but effective solution.

One inefficient thing was that I checked in on Saturday and then Sunday morning my room phone stopped working. There was no-one available from maintenence to fix it until Monday, but no-one told me this definitively, so instead I kept checking in with front desk who said they would try to reset it and then call me then they forgot to call me and were nicely apologetic but it was still really inconvenient. I physically went up and down from floor 11 to front desk whenever I needed to communicate with them, plus I had a dear friend in town also staying in the hotel on floor 14 and she couldn't reach me on the room phone and we were reduced to emailing which was inefficient and annoying (we both had US mobile phones). I understand technical glitches happen but I was not clear exactly how or by when it would be remedied and found myself chasing the desk about it and not having continuity between guest services members when shifts changed, so it basically felt like I reported the same thing 4 times over 2 days until it got resolved when someone just turned up in my room at 10am on Monday.

The roof is nice for lying out, they have yoga mats to lend you which is great, and a small gym. The roof desperately needs cleaning, the floor tile is white and really not clean. But otherwise it is a great space, sad it does not feel clean.

Overall it is a hotel where I would go back, it is just a shame that I think my room and perhaps only my room had fleas. My friend is an actor and she was upgraded to a Penthouse on the 14th floor and it was large and pleasant. My room on floor 11 (1114) was quite small but functional in design and layout and had a balcony and was quiet and pleasant also.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor away from the elevators for quiet. If you want the option to breathe fresh...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
You mentioned how you hated writing your review well we certainly didn’t enjoy the negative feedback in regards to the hotel though definitely appreciate the constructive criticism and all points mentioned were addressed immediately.
We do indeed have a no pet policy and this is not negotiable. Upon your departure we had that room steamed cleaned all throughout and conducted a very detailed clean. We were shocked and appalled to hear you had these issues.
In the future we hope to get a chance to rectify your stay and show you how the standard of our rooms does match the excellent service we provide. If you do feel you want to discuss your stay further you are more than welcome to contact our General Manager Lee Davey directly on 9040 1251 or lee_davey@artserieshotels.com.au. Thank you
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

The Olsen is the nicest hotel I have stayed in, in Melbourne. I have traveled a lot overseas and so have very high standards. The lobby was lovely and well set out with lots of smiling faces. We stayed one night for New Years and straight off the bat was greeted by the very friendly Eddie who impressed us very much with his friendly attitude, so much so on checking out we left him a tip.

Our room was wonderful, well laid out and very pretty with a very comfortable bed. Both of us being trades people the only thing off was the uneven handles on the wardrobes. No biggy. The balcony was perfect for the midnight fireworks,

New Year's Eve we ate at the Spoonbill. I really loved the decor and was impressed up until the 50 minute wait for my partners medium rare steak and the rather disappointing answer from the waitress we received after asking 'How long will our steak be?' and being answered with 'Steak takes a long time to cook to get the flavours right.'.

Breakfast was good. Although after checking the night earlier what the go was with breakfast as an inclusion in our stay it caused a minor headache for us in the morning. Miscommunication is a joy. Thankfully Kate was good enough to sort it out for us leaving us happy.

I think I'd stay again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
St Kilda, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Being from melbourne we thought we'd treat ourselves to a little relaxing weekend away from the kids. We where greeted by Jarrod who checked us in and was also the hotel concierge. He recommended a small amazing cafe just behind the hotel and followed us up to the room where there was a box of lollies and a card welcoming us to the hotel. Jarrod became our 1 man helper and jackie helped us on checkout. Our room was cozy and was just perfect for the two of us. Can't wait to be back

Room Tip: Ask the staff about the day spa for a complimentary detox
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Cannot fault this hotel. Staff are sensational, so genuine and friendly, warm and caring. The Late checkout policy is crazy good, I had 4 free nights!! Facilities amazing, rooms stunning design. Fantastic location, so convenient for everything. I am a flight attendant and stay in hotels constantly so I've seen it all so staying here for my holiday was perfect, best hotel I have stayed in for a long time. Everything aside it's the staff that make this hotel the gem that it is!!

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!