“small, but perfectly formed rooms, and great location, and omg, the bed!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Olsen

Save Saved
You added Art Series - The Olsen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Olsen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   637 - 641 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia (South Yarra)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Direct Save 20%
Ranked #19 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Lyme Regis, United Kingdom
“small, but perfectly formed rooms, and great location, and omg, the bed!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed for one night wanting to be close to Chapel St. Prahran to catch up with friends, and do a bit of shopping, so the Olsen was perfectly placed. The reception staff were amazing, 11 out of 10, if that is possible. The same wonderful hostess did my check in and check out the next morning, which were perfectly seamless. I wish I had taken notice of her name so I could give feedback direct to her management. She was actually the best and most likable reception person I have ever come across in all my travels. The rooms and hotel surrounds are wall to wall art. But to me the thing that tipped me over the edge to give it a 5 out of 5 was the bed......I have never slept on such an amazingly comfortable bed in my life, let alone at a hotel. The information booklet tells me that they are made to their standards, and give information on how much it is to buy one...What can I say but, I will be buying one in the not too distant future. It made all other beds pale by comparison, like sleeping on a supportive cloud. Oh and the down pillows and doona were also amazing. Nice touches, such as bikes available to get around ( not far from lovely bike paths along the Yarra ) Okay, the room was about as small as any I have ever stayed in too, but the layout, and the style and grace ( transparent table and chairs were an interesting feature ) meant that I never felt cluttered. But it was me on my own, may have been different with a partner. Anyway, full marks for all that it is trying to achieve and for hitting the mark on so many levels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Greek first
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have stayed at the hotel twice this year, November being my last visit. The first visit we were lucky to be upgraded to a room with a balcony with a view of South Yarra which i was very pleased with. Our second visit my friends and i didnt arrive at the hotel until 12pm on a Friday evening. We experienced issues checking in, also countless issues with our door cards and no tv signal for our whole stay. We actually had no electricity in our room until the morning when staff could fix the swipe card problems. I would say the customer service from the staff was excellent at most times, especially the room service staff. We did encounter one in particular unpleasant customer service employee whom on two occasions did not provide satisfactory customer service and was quiet rude when we had to request new swipe cards for the second time. I would stay at the hotel again as it does have a great location, however the problems with the amenities and service did place a dampen on my overall opinion of the hotel

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stay at the Olsen every time I travel to Melbourne which is almost every 2 weeks. I have staying there for a couple of years. That says it all doesn't it. The Olsen is a great hotel, centrally located in South Yarra. From here you can get everywhere easily. The staff are fantastic and now know me by name and know what coffee I drink and what room type I like. Once you stay here, you won't want to stay anywhere else. From a business standpoint, it just works! I have taken my family there a few times too and they love it now and don't want to stay anywhere else either. My wife loves the location because of all the shopping in Chapel street.

Stay here...you will love it and get attached...I did,

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
brisbane australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed at the Olsen for two nights (Fri and Sat) in November. Gorgeous room, very different and stylish, well appointed. Tiny bathroom but the design made up for the small space. Comfortable bed and lovely furnishings, everything you could want. The room is small but the best use is made of the space. The window can open which I like but my room was on the Chapel Street side and there was a lot - and I mean a lot - of noise. My friend was on the same floor on the opposite side of the hallway and she got no noise. Staff very helpful, restaurant excellent. Brilliant people watching.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing Chapel Street are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed at the Olsen in June 2012. The only reason that I'm not giving it an "excellent" is that there were a few maintenance issues with the room. Having said that, the issues where sorted out and I highly commend the staff on their pleasant and efficient attitude. I'll definitely return to the Olsen.

One minus - the heated swimming pool was a little too cool.

This hotel is in a great location. Chapel Street shops on the doorstep. A great French patisserie and coffee shop within a three minute walk (in Toorak Road) just outside the Como Centre.

If you tire of Chapel Street, take the train to Armadale and wander along High Street. Great shops, particularly Market Imports near the Armadale station.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights. Enjoyed the location of the hotel, as South Yarra is quite trendy and the train station is quick walk from the hotel. The staff at the Olsen "did their jobs", but I would not say they were best in terms of service. For example, the front desk staff checked us into the hotel ("their job") but they did not welcome us to Melbourne or the hotel. We asked if there was internet access in the rooms and the response was a vague yes. I then asked if it was free and the answer was no. It took a third question to try and find out the cost, but they never provided a clear answer. I think the hotel staff needs to remember that they work in the service industry. The room was small but quite well laid out and the kitchenette is very useful. The bathroom was small and a mess after you had a shower. Using the shower flooded the bathroom floor every single time. Overall, despite not being a perfect experience we did enjoy our time at the hotel (especially as it is a stone's throw from Mama Baba - great restaurant).

Room Tip: Ask if the shower leaks onto the bathroom floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
NickGouin, Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback about your stay at The Olsen Hotel. I'm sorry that our team was not as welcoming as they should have been and that their communication was poor. I believe based on other reviews that our staff are very friendly and welcoming, however this proves how important it is for us to be on our game at all times. I expect that each and every guest is treated in a welcoming fashion, and I will ensure that my team is aware of this feedback so we can improve.

In terms of the issue with the shower we will ensure that this is resolved. In terms of the size of the room we always recommend that you speak with our on-site reservations team to ensure we help select a room that best suits your needs.

Thank you for some very useful comments and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.
australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed in a Deluxe Spa Suite - simply amazing. We had our own private balcony, with a jacuzzi. Absolute bliss! A great 5 star place! The service was a little on the poor side - I paid for a late check-out, and got a knock on the door at the standard check-out time demanding to know when we'd be leaving. Other than that it was good. I wouldn't recommend the day spa within the hotel - there are better ones around that area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!