“Love this place...my home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Olsen

Save Saved
You added Art Series - The Olsen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Olsen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   637 - 641 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia (South Yarra)   |
Announcement
THE COLLECTORS
Ranked #19 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Love this place...my home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stay at the Olsen every time I travel to Melbourne which is almost every 2 weeks. I have staying there for a couple of years. That says it all doesn't it. The Olsen is a great hotel, centrally located in South Yarra. From here you can get everywhere easily. The staff are fantastic and now know me by name and know what coffee I drink and what room type I like. Once you stay here, you won't want to stay anywhere else. From a business standpoint, it just works! I have taken my family there a few times too and they love it now and don't want to stay anywhere else either. My wife loves the location because of all the shopping in Chapel street.

Stay here...you will love it and get attached...I did,

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

861 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
brisbane australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed at the Olsen for two nights (Fri and Sat) in November. Gorgeous room, very different and stylish, well appointed. Tiny bathroom but the design made up for the small space. Comfortable bed and lovely furnishings, everything you could want. The room is small but the best use is made of the space. The window can open which I like but my room was on the Chapel Street side and there was a lot - and I mean a lot - of noise. My friend was on the same floor on the opposite side of the hallway and she got no noise. Staff very helpful, restaurant excellent. Brilliant people watching.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing Chapel Street are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed at the Olsen in June 2012. The only reason that I'm not giving it an "excellent" is that there were a few maintenance issues with the room. Having said that, the issues where sorted out and I highly commend the staff on their pleasant and efficient attitude. I'll definitely return to the Olsen.

One minus - the heated swimming pool was a little too cool.

This hotel is in a great location. Chapel Street shops on the doorstep. A great French patisserie and coffee shop within a three minute walk (in Toorak Road) just outside the Como Centre.

If you tire of Chapel Street, take the train to Armadale and wander along High Street. Great shops, particularly Market Imports near the Armadale station.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights. Enjoyed the location of the hotel, as South Yarra is quite trendy and the train station is quick walk from the hotel. The staff at the Olsen "did their jobs", but I would not say they were best in terms of service. For example, the front desk staff checked us into the hotel ("their job") but they did not welcome us to Melbourne or the hotel. We asked if there was internet access in the rooms and the response was a vague yes. I then asked if it was free and the answer was no. It took a third question to try and find out the cost, but they never provided a clear answer. I think the hotel staff needs to remember that they work in the service industry. The room was small but quite well laid out and the kitchenette is very useful. The bathroom was small and a mess after you had a shower. Using the shower flooded the bathroom floor every single time. Overall, despite not being a perfect experience we did enjoy our time at the hotel (especially as it is a stone's throw from Mama Baba - great restaurant).

Room Tip: Ask if the shower leaks onto the bathroom floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
NickGouin, Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback about your stay at The Olsen Hotel. I'm sorry that our team was not as welcoming as they should have been and that their communication was poor. I believe based on other reviews that our staff are very friendly and welcoming, however this proves how important it is for us to be on our game at all times. I expect that each and every guest is treated in a welcoming fashion, and I will ensure that my team is aware of this feedback so we can improve.

In terms of the issue with the shower we will ensure that this is resolved. In terms of the size of the room we always recommend that you speak with our on-site reservations team to ensure we help select a room that best suits your needs.

Thank you for some very useful comments and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.
australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed in a Deluxe Spa Suite - simply amazing. We had our own private balcony, with a jacuzzi. Absolute bliss! A great 5 star place! The service was a little on the poor side - I paid for a late check-out, and got a knock on the door at the standard check-out time demanding to know when we'd be leaving. Other than that it was good. I wouldn't recommend the day spa within the hotel - there are better ones around that area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The best way to describe the branding of The Olsen is that you may think you're at a W Hotel but without the attentive service. The staff just aren't there enough with one person only frequently on the front desk and one porter that is often busy. I did alert the manager on our first night of some service failures and had a prompt response to this and some cleaning issues but the small amount of mould in the shower couldn't be resolved during our stay. The devil is in the detail and this wonderful property is hit and miss. Location is fantastic, if you haven't been to Melbourne this is a great alternative to staying in the city. South Yarra is a great place full of many shops, cafe's and restaurants.

The room itself is lovely. Decor is extremely tasteful and the small kitchenette is perfect for a 4 day stay. The water fountain at the front door is a nice touch and the unused bicycles look charming at the front door! Oh to have had more time! Hubby enjoyed the heated pool. Walk to Two Birds, One Stone cafe for breakfast. Steer restaurant as part of the hotel is apparently a great steak experience and Spoonbill did a good morning coffee.

The room itself has paper thin walls and you can hear everything. A private function at the pool level on Saturday night produced unwelcome noise levels way too late. The wind does tend to be noticeable outside the window. The bathroom is very tight and had my one major irritant of no space for females to do their makeup and the bin couldn't be opened next to the toilet but the shower is lovely and large. Staying a few nights, we asked to have the mini-bar removed to make way for our own fridge items. Kitchenette well stocked but only had one glass for 2 people so needed to ask for another. When we did ask for the room to be cleaned, it was serviced very well.

We'd love to give this hotel a better rating, but when you have to deal with one person on checkout and no one helping you with your bags, you can't give better than average as the room and location just can't make up for the rest.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift and not on top of the pool
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such an honest review. We really respect the thoughts on someone who has contributed to Trip Advisor so much.

My major concern is that you did not receive the service levels that we pride ourselves on. From the feedback that we generally receive the issues that you speak of are a rarity. Reading your review is a timely reminder for us to ensure we are staffing correctly and providing the best experience that we can. I do apologise that you did not receive the attention that you deserved.

We are aware that some of our bathrooms are smaller and are tailored toward a traveller on the run. For this reason we recommend that you speak with our on-site reservations team so we can assist with the best suite possible. We have a number of different types to suit a variety of guests.

It's great to see that you enjoyed your time in Melbourne and South Yarra. There are some nice attractions and Mama Baba is one of those close to our hotel. Thank you for your review; we appreciate your honest feedback. We will be doing everything we can to improve so that we can offer the best experience possible for our guests.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

I don't recall a hotel that pays such close attention to the details. Beautiful rooms, exceptionally well-appointed and clean, clean, clean. Awesome bed and linens. Wonderful amenities including a mini-bar that's not only well stocked but reasonably priced. Welcoming and accommodating staff. Gorgeous artwork throughout. Great and warm swimming pool. Located close to South Yarra Station and good shopping. Really enjoyed the lobby restaurant - Spoonbill. I've booked additional days in Melbourne just to stay longer at The Olsen. Truly a fabulous hotel.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!