“Superb.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Olsen

You added Art Series - The Olsen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Olsen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   637 - 641 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia (Chapel Street)   |
Offers & Announcements
BOOK DIRECT SAVE FROM 20%
Ranked #22 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
London
“Superb.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

I couldn't fault The Olsen, one of the best stays I've had in any hotel. On check-in we mentioned we were on honeymoon and the staff ended up giving us a choice of rooms and when we found the one we took to have a building site right below it, they took us to two other rooms. They also then sent up complimentary fizz.

The rooms are very well done and stylish and the staff are super friendly and efficient. I would definitely stay in The Olsen again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

Before staying in this hotel for three nights we read many reviews on trip advisor. We noted that any negative Criticisms had been addressed and discovered the following for ourselves:
Great location for shopping and easy access into the city via tram or train.
Very welcoming and helpful staff.
Lovely compact room with clever design to maximize use of space. Everything you need is here. Try and get a room on level 12 looking toward the city and St Kilda - lovely.
Swimming pool nice and warm and only part of the pool has a glass bottom so if you don't want to expose yourself you don't have too. Gym small but good equipment.
Overall a great place and highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2012
Geelong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Stayed here NYE with the girlfriend. The room was fantastic for the following reasons: Amazingly soft bed; fantastic big television, great view from our balcony room, great bathroom, stunning decorations and artwork; great airconditioning; cool little kitchen; plenty of space and most importantly the service by all of the staff was great. It is also easy to get nearly anywhere in Melbourne from the Hotel.

Highly Recommended and will be staying again.

1 Thank andrew b
Dhahran, Ash Sharqiyah, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Stayed here with my wife and 13 yr old. we chose it because we were visiting from overseas and wanted to do some shopping in Chapel Street. The location is great, can't fault it for that. Room was spacious, with average amenities. the artwork throughout the hotel was of a good variety, and certainly was an attraction in itself. Waking up to a 180 degree vision of the Melbourne skyline was superb. What are the downsides? When I pay top dollar to stay in a hotel which markets itself as a five star hotel, I don't expect to get charged through the nose for car parking. Breakfast was complete rubbish. Two staff trying to cope with a restaurant full of people; I felt sorry for them. My sour dough toast, when it eventually arrived, was accompanied by two pre-packed pats of butter. Five Star? Mmm, I don't think so. You're much better off wandering down Chapel Street for breakfast, and I'm sure that's what most people end up doing. Would I stay there again? No. There are better hotels in Melbourne.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Me and my partner stayed in the Olsen hotel for 2 nights. We were upgraded to a better suite and were very impressed with our balcony that was like 50 square metres with lounges and barbeques. haha I dont think people staying in hotel realized it was for everyone because our hotel room was the only one attached to it. We had so much fun. We cooked our own food and had a romantic dinner on deck, the glass bottom pool was awesome and will be superb in hotter weather and the staff were very down to earth and accomodating. Our room although not as big as i expected it to be..was very nice and immaculately clean. Would stay there again!!!! Thank you Olsen :-)

Room Tip: ask for that room i mentioned..dont know what it was called.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah T
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

Me and my partner stayed in Olsen Hotel for 4 nights after our wedding. I chose the hotel because it was pretty close to our reception venue. Also, I like the hotel's artistic concept. I fell in love with the room when I first came to inspect in July. The room feels very fresh when I first entered. It smells nice and the aircon temperature was just nice. I thought the interior of the room was very nice, although my partner said he felt like he was sleeping in a furniture store :P

The lobby interior, however, was pretty plain. It did not do any justice for the rooms.

I actually booked for the "Balcony Deluxe Studio Suit". However, when I saw the room after I checked in, it was really small. I needed a bigger room as I would be getting ready there on my wedding day, and there will be hairstylist, make up artist, bridesmaids and photographers working inside. So I asked the reception staff to move me to the Deluxe Studio Suite room, and they helped me with no hassle. The Olsen have really nice and helpful staff that makes you feel very welcome.

The Deluxe Studio Suite room was perfect. It was spacious with very nice view of chapel street. The signature bed lived up to its name, and it was the best bed I've ever slept on. It was not too hard, not to soft or bouncy, and I woke up every morning without back or neck ache. My partner who often complains about hotel beds was very satisfied, too. We even decided to purchase the bed when we move into our new home :)

The only downside of the hotel that I know of, is the expensive parking. However, my overall experience in The Olsen was awesome. We paid the "Stay for 3 nights or more" promo. So for $200ish/night, it was worth it.
I wouldn't be surprised if we come back to stay there again on our anniversaries, just to re-live the beautiful experience we had there.

Room Tip: Choose the "Deluxe studio suite" Instead of the "Deluxe studio suite Balcony". T...
1 Thank Wita86
NickGouin, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, December 29, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such an informative review. It pleases us all to read that your time with us was a success, especially as it was at a special time for you. We also thank you for mentioning the work of our staff. If anything, we always try to be welcoming and do our best to make your experience a memorable one.

Your recommendations about the room categories and very informative. In the majority of cases the balcony rooms are smaller; however the advantage of this room is the balcony. Our on-site reservations team are always available to assist with any questions that future guests may have.

Thank you for your review; we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Wanaka, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

We arrived by car from the Mornington Peninsula and were checked in very efficiently- and unexpectedly before 2pm by front desk, then left to drop off our car in the city.
We have tried the Como before and decided to stay at the Art Series hotels again after staying at the Cullen in Melbourne- an average experience but we still held hope for the Art Series concept.......
When we returned to our room we were mobbed by about 12 loud young girls trying to get into the lift before we got out. We wondered if a tour of the artists' work was going on....and set about relaxing in our room before dinner. That was repeatedly interrupted by the loud squeals of said teenage girls running back and past our room as they also took over the pool deck area. With only a few noisey people in the pool it was really then off our list of places to relax and unwind. We decided to go out to find a nice quiet place to have a drink and some dinner- there is no lack of choice within nearby Richmond and Prahan and local environs. As we came back in I stopped to mention the noise issue to a woman at the front desk and was told that it was the owner's daughters party and they had now left the building, no apology was offered by a "too cool for school woman sitting barely interested in being there". A simple apology would have taken care of our feelings here - instead we were left thinking that we were a nuisance.
The following night the same suite used by the teenagers was now inhabited by some people who came in late making a lot of noise as they walked by our room- waking us at about 1am, and then just as we got off to sleep again re waking us with their noise from loud laughing and slamming doors- the last time I looked it was about 3am. It seemed to us that if you were paying enough to be in the suite, then it was OK to behave as loudly as you wanted.

The room decor is nice bright and shiney, unfortunately as other guests have mentioned- it is possible to look into other guests rooms due to the lack of a sheer window dressing.... a little disconcerting. I find the bathroom is small - and there is a lack of space to put toiletries on the sink top. The glass wall is covered with the semi opaque images of paintings which means that there is no acoustic privacy - which may or may not bother you.
The wardrobe is well supplied and the kitchenette had enough utensils to put together a simple meal.
I did find it gross to be sharing the lifts (which were very slow) with staff bringing down room service trolleys that were used.
My big gripe with hotels internationally is when wifi is not free- not really a common practice in a five star hotel to charge. Really- how much does it cost to do this?
I will try the Blackman in St Kilda for the sake of completeness, and look forward to it fulfilling my travel needs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the suites.
3 Thank BellaFigura
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I would like to apologise for the noise issues that you experienced during your stay, as well as the way in which my staff member handled your feedback. In your case there should have been empathy shown, an apology given and a clear understanding as to the steps we were going to take to stop the excessive noise. Although we cannot stop everything, we do take the appropriate steps to minimise noise levels throughout the hotel. In our owners defence; I would also like to point out that they have not had any parties in our hotel during December, therefore the information you were provided was incorrect. You are right to feel disappointed as a result of this experience; we should have managed this situation better than we did. Thank you for providing us with some very useful feedback, especially regarding the sheer curtains. This will be something that we look into installing throughout the hotel to offer increased privacy for our guests. I would encourage you to try The Blackman; it may just be the right fit for your next stay in Melbourne.