“Very memorable stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Olsen

Save Saved
You added Art Series - The Olsen to your Saves list
Art Series - The Olsen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   637 - 641 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia (South Yarra)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Direct Save 20%
Ranked #19 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
“Very memorable stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

Me and my partner stayed in Olsen Hotel for 4 nights after our wedding. I chose the hotel because it was pretty close to our reception venue. Also, I like the hotel's artistic concept. I fell in love with the room when I first came to inspect in July. The room feels very fresh when I first entered. It smells nice and the aircon temperature was just nice. I thought the interior of the room was very nice, although my partner said he felt like he was sleeping in a furniture store :P

The lobby interior, however, was pretty plain. It did not do any justice for the rooms.

I actually booked for the "Balcony Deluxe Studio Suit". However, when I saw the room after I checked in, it was really small. I needed a bigger room as I would be getting ready there on my wedding day, and there will be hairstylist, make up artist, bridesmaids and photographers working inside. So I asked the reception staff to move me to the Deluxe Studio Suite room, and they helped me with no hassle. The Olsen have really nice and helpful staff that makes you feel very welcome.

The Deluxe Studio Suite room was perfect. It was spacious with very nice view of chapel street. The signature bed lived up to its name, and it was the best bed I've ever slept on. It was not too hard, not to soft or bouncy, and I woke up every morning without back or neck ache. My partner who often complains about hotel beds was very satisfied, too. We even decided to purchase the bed when we move into our new home :)

The only downside of the hotel that I know of, is the expensive parking. However, my overall experience in The Olsen was awesome. We paid the "Stay for 3 nights or more" promo. So for $200ish/night, it was worth it.
I wouldn't be surprised if we come back to stay there again on our anniversaries, just to re-live the beautiful experience we had there.

Room Tip: Choose the "Deluxe studio suite" Instead of the "Deluxe studio suite Balcony". T...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
NickGouin, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, December 29, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such an informative review. It pleases us all to read that your time with us was a success, especially as it was at a special time for you. We also thank you for mentioning the work of our staff. If anything, we always try to be welcoming and do our best to make your experience a memorable one.

Your recommendations about the room categories and very informative. In the majority of cases the balcony rooms are smaller; however the advantage of this room is the balcony. Our on-site reservations team are always available to assist with any questions that future guests may have.

Thank you for your review; we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Wanaka, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

We arrived by car from the Mornington Peninsula and were checked in very efficiently- and unexpectedly before 2pm by front desk, then left to drop off our car in the city.
We have tried the Como before and decided to stay at the Art Series hotels again after staying at the Cullen in Melbourne- an average experience but we still held hope for the Art Series concept.......
When we returned to our room we were mobbed by about 12 loud young girls trying to get into the lift before we got out. We wondered if a tour of the artists' work was going on....and set about relaxing in our room before dinner. That was repeatedly interrupted by the loud squeals of said teenage girls running back and past our room as they also took over the pool deck area. With only a few noisey people in the pool it was really then off our list of places to relax and unwind. We decided to go out to find a nice quiet place to have a drink and some dinner- there is no lack of choice within nearby Richmond and Prahan and local environs. As we came back in I stopped to mention the noise issue to a woman at the front desk and was told that it was the owner's daughters party and they had now left the building, no apology was offered by a "too cool for school woman sitting barely interested in being there". A simple apology would have taken care of our feelings here - instead we were left thinking that we were a nuisance.
The following night the same suite used by the teenagers was now inhabited by some people who came in late making a lot of noise as they walked by our room- waking us at about 1am, and then just as we got off to sleep again re waking us with their noise from loud laughing and slamming doors- the last time I looked it was about 3am. It seemed to us that if you were paying enough to be in the suite, then it was OK to behave as loudly as you wanted.

The room decor is nice bright and shiney, unfortunately as other guests have mentioned- it is possible to look into other guests rooms due to the lack of a sheer window dressing.... a little disconcerting. I find the bathroom is small - and there is a lack of space to put toiletries on the sink top. The glass wall is covered with the semi opaque images of paintings which means that there is no acoustic privacy - which may or may not bother you.
The wardrobe is well supplied and the kitchenette had enough utensils to put together a simple meal.
I did find it gross to be sharing the lifts (which were very slow) with staff bringing down room service trolleys that were used.
My big gripe with hotels internationally is when wifi is not free- not really a common practice in a five star hotel to charge. Really- how much does it cost to do this?
I will try the Blackman in St Kilda for the sake of completeness, and look forward to it fulfilling my travel needs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the suites.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I would like to apologise for the noise issues that you experienced during your stay, as well as the way in which my staff member handled your feedback. In your case there should have been empathy shown, an apology given and a clear understanding as to the steps we were going to take to stop the excessive noise. Although we cannot stop everything, we do take the appropriate steps to minimise noise levels throughout the hotel. In our owners defence; I would also like to point out that they have not had any parties in our hotel during December, therefore the information you were provided was incorrect. You are right to feel disappointed as a result of this experience; we should have managed this situation better than we did. Thank you for providing us with some very useful feedback, especially regarding the sheer curtains. This will be something that we look into installing throughout the hotel to offer increased privacy for our guests. I would encourage you to try The Blackman; it may just be the right fit for your next stay in Melbourne.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

My husband and I spent three nights at The Olsen at the recommendation of our daughter. She spoke of the outstanding service and the great room and location and was spot on. We were left in the rain after a wedding (booked cab did not arrive) and the hotel staff immediately organised a cab after one phone call to them. We found the hotel and cafe staff friendly and professional as well as very helpful. We enjoyed swimming in the pool - a good length for laps and great setting.The hotel has a comfortable feel to it and the location is perfect - not in the city, but just a short tram ride away. Brendan from the front desk showed us the Olsen originals and he was enthusiastic and knowledgeable, not to mention helpful and very friendly. I have always been a fan of John Olsen's art so for me it was extra special to be able to see not only the prints on all floors but the originals as well. And the art books available in the rooms were an added touch. We could not fault The Olsen and we will definitely be back. We have already recommended it to friends and family.

Room Tip: Both sides of the hotel offer good views, and obviously, as with any building, the higher the room...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
What a great review to read; we are always motivated when we see how much someone has enjoyed their time with us. I am especially impressed with your feedback regarding Brendan and our service in general. Our aim is to offer a welcoming and unique style of service; it pleases us when this is appreciated. I am glad that you had the time to experience our glass bottom swimming pool. This is a real feature of the hotel and well worth using. Thank you for recommending us to your friends and other travellers on Trip Advisor. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

I decided at the last minute to change our booking from the Blackman to the Olsen. I thought being in a different area of Melbourne to the city center was a nice change from the hustle and bustle. I wasn't disappointed! It was slightly pricier than the Blackman though. Chapel Street is quite upmarket and trendy, with nice shops and cafes within walking distance. The South Yarra train station was within easy reach to get into the CBD although a taxi ride cost about $10.

We stayed in the studio suite. The room was lovely and cosy but the shower/toilet was bit small. There were art books scattered around the room and a variety of magazines for one's perusal. The kitchenette was well stocked and handy if one was staying for more than a few days. The pool was pretty cool and worth the extra bit spent over the Blackman. The staff were friendly and attentive but we didn't have much dealings with them apart from at check in and out.

If I had more than a weekend in Melbourne, the Olsen would have been too pricey for me at $240 per night. But for a weekend, it did the job!

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

I stayed here with my partner for one night. We loved the idea of the Art hotels and we were largely pleased with our stay at the hotel.

There were some small things that let down the hotel. They seem to have missed some basic items, such as service lifts. There is nothing worse than getting into a lift with a dirty laundry or garbage trolley. The hotel looks good but they have missed some small things that make a difference.

I was disappointed when I called for my car 30 mins before our scheduled departure only to have to wait another 25mins once we reached the lobby while the staff got it out of the garage.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Seaford, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

Where do i begin?
During my stay at the Olsen I experienced a sense of professionalism and elegance.
The Hotel itself was decorated with beautiful artwork which really gives the Hotel a unique yet professional feel. The room was much the same, a great range of artwork that was perfectly blended into the comfortable, clean and spacious room to induce the feeling of comfort and class.
Whenever I approached a staff member I was greeted with a friendly smile and a helpful hand.
The location itself also appealed to me, there are a variety of restaurant's, bars and shops (which my wife enjoyed).
The little things such as the artwork, staff happiness, location and parking separate this hotel from the others I have stayed at throughout the Melbourne CBD.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

My experience at the olsen hotel was beyond expectations. To begin my stay I was happily shown where parking space was for me, followed by an enthusiasic and kind concierge to bring my luggage up to my room. Not only is the outside view of this hotel amazing, yet the rooms are something to boast about. I stayed at one of the Penthouses and was blown away with how tidy and large the room was. Room service was knocking at my door with my food literally 5 minutes after ordering, now thats impressive! This has definitely been a highlight hotel for me and I'll be staying here for future visits near Melbourne City.

Room Tip: The John Olsen Penthouse
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!