“A treat to stay with the art - and all the trimmings!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Blackman

You added Art Series - The Blackman to your Saves list
Art Series - The Blackman
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   452 St Kilda Road | (entry via Arthur Street), Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia (Formerly The Blackman Hotel)   |
Special Price
BOOK DIRECT SAVE 20%
Ranked #13 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“A treat to stay with the art - and all the trimmings!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Stayed here during the Australian Open, and my mum and I loved the location (short tram ride into the city), and all the trimmings and detail in the room. The small kitchen meant we could prepare food for the days ahead, and have breakfast in-room.
Loved all the art detail around the room, and the floors - we had asked for the mentioned art tour, but noone was available at the time, so we conducted our own walk-around!
Comfortable bed, even the rollaway.
Would love to stay again - will need to keep an eye out for special deals!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
NickGouin, General Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you for your review, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay. Australian Open in Melbourne is a great time to be in the city, as there is a real buzz about town. Whether you take the tram or walk through the gardens, it is easy to get to Rod Laver Arena from The Blackman. We have recently finished a round of art training for the team, this way we can offer the art tours 24/7. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Greek first
Ballarat
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed in the Blackman for two nights and they were the best sleeps I have had in years. The beds are magnificent. As was everything else.The staff were great: helpful, efficient and kind. We had an executive balcony suite and it was lovely, overlooking the bay and Albert Park Lake.The suite was very well furnished and very comfortable.One very small criticism: two people need more than two large towels. A minimum of three is really required as two towels are used when showering and washing hair.Having said that, the very sweet person who was housekeeping on the floor immediately provided us with extras. Blackman art in the rooms and throughout the hotel. Breakfast in the bakery downstairs was terrific. Great stay, great hotel.

Room Tip: We were on 13th floor, facing the bay. Plenty of natural light and lovely view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Lauren H, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Many thanks for providing us with your feedback following your stay at The Blackman. We place great importance in our customer service delivery so thank you for your kind words. All of our bedding is available for purchase so please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like any further information. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Devonport, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Stayed in a double room with our daughter on the 6th floor with great views over Melbourne. Rooms are very well appointed, ours had a small kitchen, inc fridge, cook top, large sink etc. Two rooms, double bed each, both with large flat panel TV's. Found the rooms to be modern, clean and well organised. A very trendy feel with many Charles Blackman pieces displayed. Staff were friendly but not in your face every time you walk in or out of the foyer, which makes for a more relaxed stay. There's a tram that runs past the front of the building, for easy access to the city, and doubled glazed windows meant we couldn't here it or any traffic noise until we were out on the balcony. We did find parking to be a hassle sometimes, the car park underneath was full on our arrival, but we found a park within walking distance. Over all, a very good experience, and yes I would stay again and intend to.

Room Tip: Rooms above level 6 have the best views over the city.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review following your stay at The Blackman. I could not be happier to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. Please be aware that our staff will assist in parking your car if you have trouble finding a space in our car park again. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed at the suite with a kitchen and a balcony (cleaning crew forgot to clean it though). Even though the kitchen was a little close to the bed for our liking it was an overall great experience. The king bed was fantastic, had the best sleep ever. The reception was helpful and sweet. The fact that there is parking in front of the hotel is a plus in a city. It has a tram stop two minutes away. We booked online and then decided to stay another night by just letting reception know. Best to book it online for cheaper rates especially if you intend to stay over on a weekend.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I love the art of Charles Blackman, so to stay in a hotel inspired by him was a great opportunity. Thankfully it was a great experience. Our room was very modern and well appointed with beautiful Blackman art placed strategically. The staff were very friendly and efficient and the hotel is within easy reach of the CBD. For its amenities I thought it was reasonably good value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Wayne for taking the time to provide us with your thoughts following your stay at The Blackman. We pride ourselves on our friendly and efficient customer service so thank you for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Blackman again.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

This hotel is not 5 star at all.. The worst service I've ever had.. Reservations stuff up my booking which resulted in a 20 min check in.. I was made to feel like I'd made the mistake and it was made very clear that I was an annoyance to the guy checking me in.. The rooms are ok but nothing to rave about,, not even a bottle of water supplied.. And wifi at a cost! Even maccas provide wifi.. So my suggestion is to stay somewhere else if you want a complete experience (good service) because you won't get it here I have spoken to front desk a few times now and have always been left annoyed..

• Stayed March 2014
NickGouin, General Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
We understand the guest’s point of view; however do believe that the reservations errors are a result of misunderstanding at the time of booking. As this review was written prior to check-out we have had the chance to make amendments in order to compensate the guest for inconveniences caused, that may not have been fully understood at check-in. We do believe that that this is an isolated incident, however my team will be trained further to ensure that these type of cases are avoided in the future. We have invited the guest to return later in the year so we can show them the experience that the should have had during this stay.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I had previously stayed at the blackman when i was a little younger and although I never took much annivitive to way the pros and cons I decided this time around i would. Now I'm older I came again after family and friends telling me it was great when we went last. On arrival the staff was friendly however the woman who served me mentioned nothing about anything regarding my room, my room number, payments etc. After realising the piece of paper she gave me had the room keys in it we finally managed to get up to our floor. I paid on wot if for a regular suite and asked if I could be upgraded as I made the wrong booking on wot if. I was politely told I could be upgraded to the junior suite as I requested but would have to pay the difference. The suite itself was beautiful although the bathroom is tiny. Our balcony was huge and the beds were heaven! All in all the suite was great! However on day two I looked into my bank account to see that almost $700 had been taken out for the Blackman hotel! This ruined my whole day as I had to run back to the hotel and ask what had happened. Luckily for all staff (and humans in general) I am too nice and friendly to ever kick up a stink so when I asked what was going on the male staff member had announced one of his colleagues (I assume she may have been new) misinterpreted my payment from wot if and had double charged me for the room and the deposit. He said he would call the bank but being labour day weekend it may take a while to bounce bank into my account. I was relived and thanked him anyway however I let him know I was quite unimpressed with the service. After reading previous stories on trip advisor I was hopeful something would have been done by management as a gesture of kindness and a way to apologise for the huge in convenience it had on me, my partner, and our anniversary but nothing at all was done. We even stayed one night extra purely because it was the long weekend and we wanted to be close to moomba festival and so we paid another $259 on top of the $700 that i no longer had in my account and to make it worse the man who had previously informed us about the error on their behalf didn't even hesitate when taking our second payment to stay another night and he was quite rude and blunt with me. All in all i'm a little sad because I more than anyone was so excited about jumping on trip advisor and writing a great review for a highly rated hotel but unfortunately I was extremely let down. I'm very disappointed and I feel you should not get your hopes up or feel inclined to make a judgment on this hotel from its great reviews and rating until you actually stay here and deal with their service first hand.

• Stayed March 2014
We were disappointed that our error had caused stress during this guest’s stay, which ultimately affected the overall experience. It is common practice to take a security hold/authorisation when a guest checks in. Unfortunately one of my team members miscalculated this amount. As soon as we were made aware of this error we contacted the bank to have the situation resolved. Since reviewing this incident with my Duty Managers, I have suggested that we could have offered a discounted rate on the final night as a further apology for the inconvenience. Contrary to this review Management did offer complimentary items at check-out and also had written an apology card and provided a dessert during the stay for these guests. We have used this review to assist with training and development within our front office team.

Been to Art Series - The Blackman? Share your experiences!