“Got 2 nights for free!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Art Series - The Blackman

Save Saved
You added Art Series - The Blackman to your Saves list
Art Series - The Blackman
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   452 St Kilda Road | (entry via Arthur Street), Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia (Formerly The Blackman Hotel)   |
Offers & Announcements
STAY 2 SAVE 20%
Ranked #7 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Got 2 nights for free!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Recently stayed at the Blackman hotel on St. Kilda Road, not only did they upgrade us and put us near the top floor overlooking the city, Albert Park and Port Phillip Bay but with the 'Overstay your welcome" promotion we got 2 nights extra for free because no one had checked in! We were pretty happy about that!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren H, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to review our property. I am very pleased to hear that we were able to upgrade you and also provide you with two free nights which was a result of our "Overstay Your Welcome" promotion. We hope to welcome you back to The Blackman soon.

1,111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I'm writing this as I ponder the weighting to give to service when looking at hotels.

This property is lovely and you can actually open the doors to the balconies which is a major plus. The service is cold and not good at all though. Couple of stuffed shirts at reception (couple of friendly ones too but not enough to create a balance). Unhelpful girls in the cafe. The restaurant appalling. The waiter even plonked my friends cutlery onto my plate (in front of me) before taking the plates away after lunch. First world problems, as my son would say, but when you are paying through the nose, this isn't acceptable.

The room was comfortable and the beds sublime. The major fault though and this is significant enough that I won't return, is the bathroom mirror or lack of lighting around the mirror. I think men (gay men excluded) should be banned from bathroom design college. The bathroom is so dark it is impossible to put makeup on. The only other mirror is in the kitchenette and the space isn't feasible when it comes to self improvement activities such as this.

The food is good and I've eaten here many times, so no complaint re food quality.

I hope this review is read by management and they take a look at the service as this is where the rot will creep in. It takes time for the rot (which relates to a service culture or lack thereof) to have an impact and it would be a pity if they didn't step up.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a balcony
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
NickGouin, General Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed response. As you can imagine we don't like receiving this type of feedback, however it does help to make us better. If we have not impressed 100% of people, then we have not done our job properly. It is disappointing that you did not receive friendly and genuine service from our reception team. I can assure you though that we place more weight on this part of the hotel than any other area. Your review is certainly a kick up the backside; however I am confident that we deliver a quality product more often than not. Although we work closely with our restaurants they are run externally. Your comments have been passed on and I have stressed the importance to improve. I will continue to monitor this to ensure my guests are receiving quality service. With regards to the lighting, possibly it is not a man’s role to design a ladies bathroom. We are however in the process of improving our lighting and I hope our guests will notice this change in the coming months. I really appreciate your time and encourage you to contact me directly if you are looking to return in the future. I trust you will notice an improvement if you were to return.
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We were delighted with this hotel. Lovely spacious rooms with fantastic views. There was perhaps not enough cupboard space for two people but that was the only negative. It is in a great location in walking distance of the lovely park. We loved the art work everywhere and the little kitchenette in the room, very useful. The beds are gloriously comfortable. Loved the fact that you could have late checkout if wanted. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
I am very pleased to hear how delighted you were following your stay at The Blackman so thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to welcoming you back to The Blackman soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

This was one of the best hotels I have stayed at! Perfectly clean, new, sparkling and modern. A very large studio with private balcony that felt more like a unit. The art work everywhere was beautiful and made it seem more than a hotel. The bed was also the most comfortable I have experienced and I ordered one of their pillows at the end of my stay. It is a few kms out of the city (about 10 mins by tram or 5 mins by taxi), but is on a major tram route, so one can get a tram immediately whenever one wants. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you Kathryne for taking the time to provide us with your feedback following your stay at The Blackman. I could not be happier to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us so thank you for your kind words. I have passed your comments on to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Doreen, victoria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at The Blackman to escape the reality of work and children for a night and just relax and get away.
I found the hotel to lack the little perks of your average 5 star hotel. Firstly after forgetting my toothbrush I found there not to be a complimentary one at the hotel. The television only has your standard channels with no option of prepay movies or on demand.
We paid for a delux suite with views and a balcony however from the balcony the view looked straight out onto buildings and offices with a corner view of the bay if you stood up and looked out to the side.
Being so close to at kilda rd the hotel overnight was extremely loud and although the curtains blocked out the light from outside the room, the room itself was very light with the lights for the microwave, clocks and smoke detector directly above the bed.
As for being a stone throw from the city, I felt that it was to far out with nothing being within walking distance.
When staying away for the weekend you require some direction from staff and unfortunately staff had to be asked questions in our case re:breakfast inclusions etc as this information was not offered during check in. Overall although the hotel decor is beautiful and the cleanliness of the hotel rates 5 stars for us, our stay was less than desirable. Next time we will escape to a 5 star hotel in town.

• Stayed January 2014
Many thanks Doreen for taking the time to review our property. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel decor and cleanliness. As we offer both complimentary dental kits and a number of different movie options I am unsure what has occured here but would be more than happy to discuss further if you would like to contact me. We have a number of differing room options with different views available, however as The Blackman enjoys a very high occupancy all year round it proves difficult to have everyone allocated to a room with a view (unless this was the room type booked). In saying this we do our best to accommodate all guest requests.

For the benefit of future travellers, we are located on St Kilda road which is a 20 minute walk to the city and 25 metres from a tram stop (which is a 10 minute ride into the city centre). Being in the center of Chapel Street, the City and St Kilda does provide great benefits for travellers.

I hope to welcome you back to again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Large room, well appointed (disappointing that everything is for sale as an added extra. i.e not even a free biscuit in the room). Very comfortable bed and easy access to the city via tram, a short walk away. Low lighting, which the staff say is mood setting....we prefer to have enough light to read and put make up on! It is impossible to switch off one bedside lamp and leave the other on. French cafe downstairs, great for afternoon tea and an early drink.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for providing us with your feedback following your stay at The Blackman. The lighting in our suites has been designed to utilise the Charles Blackman artwork. In saying this, we are able to provide additional lamps/higher watt globes when requested. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed both our signature beds and great location. Thank you for your lovely words about Depot De Pain - I have passed these on to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Blackman soon.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Blackman for one night after a long drive from Mt Gambier. We were a bit disconcerted when the reception staff greeted us with, "hi guys". I suppose I am getting old and it struck me then that a boutique hotel such as The Blackman is probably for hipper folk that I.

We stayed in a Junior Suite. The room had a large balcony with a city view and I enjoyed watching a storm roll over Melbourne soon after our arrival. Loved the decor-large Blackman prints, Phillip Starck ghost chairs, Platner tables.

The bathroom was very small, not what I expect of a hotel with a five-star rating. The bathroom is divided from the living room by a translucent glass wall and door, so I would not recommend a Junior Suite for those who feel the need of a private space for their ablutions.

The bed was absolutely divine, like lying in a cloud. The mattress has a pillow top, the pillows are down and the sheets gorgeous quality. The bedrooms in the junior suites are in a sort of alcove which can be divided off with a curtain. I slept well because the room was very quiet and dark.

The room service menu had a good variety of fare, including the ubiquitous club sandwich. We each ordered a chicken salad, which was fresh and delicious and we had a slice of the most fantastic lemon tart. It was the highlight of the stay, creamy and zingy and perfect. My mouth waters just thinking about it. The kitchen forgot to give us cutlery and napkins so we used the ones supplied in the kitchenette. Salt and pepper was supplied in tacky little paper squares rather than in proper salt and pepper grinders, again, not what I expect of a five-star hotel.

The Blackman is stylish and comfortable and I would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren H, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your detailed feedback following your stay at The Blackman. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our quirky decor. We do sell all of our bedding so if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me. I am delighted to hear your lovely comments about our room service menu and inparticular the fantastic lemon tart. We place significant importance in our guests' feedback as sometimes it brings things to our attention that we may need to change - so thank you. We hope to have you back again soon.

Front Office Manager

Been to Art Series - The Blackman? Share your experiences!